Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

Other than being a comedy, it reminds me more of Vikings than The Last Kingdom. (One can argue Vikings is a comedy too :) ) It is set in a Swedish village very similar to Kattegatt, following mostly Viking characters. I've found myself laughing out loud each episode. I'd recommend giving it a chance. The series is only 6 30-minute episodes, so not a massive time commitment.

52 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Other than being a comedy, it reminds me more of Vikings than The Last Kingdom. (One can argue Vikings is a comedy too :) ) It is set in a Swedish village very similar to Kattegatt, following mostly Viking characters. I've found myself laughing out loud each episode. I'd recommend giving it a chance. The series is only 6 30-minute episodes, so not a massive time commitment.

Norwegian actually. But yeah, It's a really fun show.

I watched Allied. It was a distinctly average film, I thought Marion Cottilard was good but Brad Pitt had little chemistry with her. Also felt a bit unconvincing at times...

Would someone with Frank's background in intelligence really have been discussing Top Secret material with his wife for her to send on, even if he did trust her, not disclosing information unnecessarily was a big thing during the War? Also seems off that British intelligence would trust him enough to let him know she was under suspicion.

On 9/1/2017 at 3:05 AM, Ramsay B. said:

...I saw Logan Lucky yesterday and it was decent I guess. It had a few funny moments but overall it was disappointing. It did have one great moment for us nerds on this forum though.

Hide contents

As a diversion the cell mates staged a riot and their big demand was A Dance With Dragons for the library. They then got into an argument with the warden about when The Winds of Winter was going to come out. 

I liked the film more than you did. It's definitely in my Top 15 films of 2017. One reason is the bit you mentioned in the spoilers. That's the hardest I've laughed in a theater all year. 

I watched American Made the other day, which has been compared to Logan Lucky (which I also wanted to watch but think I missed in theatres). I really enjoyed it actually, its a Doug Liman movie and hes got such a good track record I was confident it would be good. Tom Cruise is so awesome at playing charming, yet sleazy arseholes and its a real return for him after the horrendous Mummy movie. Highly recommended.

As entertainment is subjective...and I know I'll take shit for this, lol... the one show that gets almost universal love on this messageoard that I just don't get, is The Leftovers.... I mean, I thought it was OK, and Carrie Coon is excellent... but I would have smashed every person on that show in the cranium with a spade shovel

3 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Saw Wind River tonight, and it is an excellent crime drama. Renner does a good job as the lead, but the performances of the supporting cast led by Elizabeth Olsen really stand out in this stark tale of survival and suffering set in Wyoming.

And how is the soundtrack?

8 hours ago, Isis said:

And how is the soundtrack?

Thought that was an odd question, so I had to look it up--OST by Warren Ellis & Nick Cave. Well damn. I never would've guessed. Honestly, the soundtrack/score wasn't so memorable--not bad, just nothing stood out. Well, there was one scene that felt a bit "silence of the lambs-ish" where I believe synths/guitars stood out, but that was also one of those scenes where the editing and camera is all wonky to reflect a character's altered state of mind. For the most part I was engrossed by the performances and plot, so the soundtrack didn't stand out for me.

I wonder if this means Cave will actually score stuff in S4 of Peaky Blinders or if they'll just keep using previous works of his and PJ Harvey's that they alter. The latter has been working pretty well for me, but I'd be curious to see whats ome original Cave compositions for the series would be like--that is unless he's already done some and I was unaware. ;)

17 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

Saw Wind River tonight, and it is an excellent crime drama. Renner does a good job as the lead, but the performances of the supporting cast led by Elizabeth Olsen really stand out in this stark tale of survival and suffering set in Wyoming.

yeah... this movie was a pleasant surprise... what I liked about it, was that it didn;t try to be more than it was supposed to be... there were no dumb swerves... Taylor Sheridan wrote and directed... I loved that he just told a story without trying to it a grand slam with the bases empty, like every other hollywood hack who wants to make a name for themselves... so I look forward to his next endeavor...

1 hour ago, Martini Sigil said:

yeah... this movie was a pleasant surprise... what I liked about it, was that it didn;t try to be more than it was supposed to be... there were no dumb swerves... Taylor Sheridan wrote and directed... I loved that he just told a story without trying to it a grand slam with the bases empty, like every other hollywood hack who wants to make a name for themselves... so I look forward to his next endeavor...

Going into the film I didn't realize this film's writer/director also wrote Sicario and Hell or High Water. This definitely keeps in line with the tone and themes of those films, but Wind River is, like you mentioned, much more straightforward and low key than the other two scripts he wrote. I'm guessing that's one reason he chose this script as his first to direct.

I've been watching Game of Thrones 7 the last week. Astonishing really, the amount of things that happen, the glorious way it looks, some excellent dialogue again as well.

Best show on tv right now for me. Final two episodes... wow.

Recently I read a post on Facebook by someone asking if Groundhog Day was worth watching (the answer is obviously 'yes'). This reminded me that I haven't watched the film for a long time, so watched it again today. I've seen several things based on a similar premise over the years, but I think this is still the best in terms of how it explores the effects of the time loop on the protagonist (in its own way Edge of Tomorrow is equally good, but it's not quite as focused on the characters).

Finished Narcos S3. Thoroughly enjoyed it and you pretty much know what you're going to get if you've seen the first 2 seasons.

Now I have no idea what's up next. My entire watchlist and recommended shows are dark dramas but I think I need to watch something a little lighter and fun next.

Archived