Watch some TV/Movies and talk about it here.

Ramsay B.

I rate Snatch and Lock, Stock very close to one another, but the past several times I've been in the mood for one of them I've watched Snatch.  I think it's mostly because I enjoy the characters/performances in it more.  I also think The Man From UNCLE is fantastic.  Great movie.  And I don't really care for the rest of his work.  Revolver and RocknRolla were both forgettable, and I didn't care for the steampunkishness of his Sherlock Holmes movies... although I can't recall if I ever even watched the second one.  I will watch his King Arthur movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

On 8/2/2017 at 2:29 PM, RedEyedGhost said:

I rate Snatch and Lock, Stock very close to one another, but the past several times I've been in the mood for one of them I've watched Snatch.  I think it's mostly because I enjoy the characters/performances in it more.  I also think The Man From UNCLE is fantastic.  Great movie.  And I don't really care for the rest of his work.  Revolver and RocknRolla were both forgettable, and I didn't care for the steampunkishness of his Sherlock Holmes movies... although I can't recall if I ever even watched the second one.  I will watch his King Arthur movie, but I haven't seen it yet.

Oh, snap! I forgot about RocknRolla! That was a decent flick, but too right about it being forgettable. Never saw Revolver. I really liked his Holmes films and hope he and RDJ get back with Jude Law to do another. The King Arthur movie was...a miss. Jude Law did well as the villain and I appreciate Richie trying to do a LotR fantasy film in his style, but it just didn't hit. Worth a look though if you're a fan of the genre and go in not expecting much.

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy v2 and was thoroughly entertained. It felt forced in the intro / first chapter but then found it's rhythm. It got more laughs out of me than I was expecting. I also wonder how many teenagers get all of the 80s references.

Also watched the movie Suburra on Netflix. I highly recommend this movie to fans of Gomorrah. It has the same setting (Italy but not Naples), themes, tone, visuals and sound. In fact it's like a cross between Gomorrah the movie and Gomorrah the tv series. You see how organized crime touches different people's lives but you get a lot more violence and mob politics than the movie. Netflix is making a series out of this movie and I'll definitely be checking it out. Also the women in this movie make me want to move to Italy and find my wife.

26 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

Also watched the movie Suburra on Netflix. I highly recommend this movie to fans of Gomorrah. It has the same setting (Italy but not Naples), themes, tone, visuals and sound. In fact it's like a cross between Gomorrah the movie and Gomorrah the tv series. You see how organized crime touches different people's lives but you get a lot more violence and mob politics than the movie. Netflix is making a series out of this movie and I'll definitely be checking it out. Also the women in this movie make me want to move to Italy and find my wife.

I'm going to check this out. Gomorrah the series is one of my favorite shows, and the movie was solid. Thanks for the recommendation. 

I saw the Dark Tower yesterday. It was . . . alright. I was worried that people who hadn't read any of the books might find the movie really confusing, but apparently that's not the case (my dad texted me yesterday about how he went and saw it, and enjoyed it even though he hasn't read any Dark Tower books).

I think a big part of that is the movie's pacing. Quick pacing can make mediocre or even bad movies much more enjoyable, and it wasn't a bad movie. Some of the scenes are good, the acting is competent, and overall you can just roll with it and enjoy it. 

Watched the first season of The 100 because it was popping up all over my Netflix "because you watched" lists.  I share the account with at least three other people, so it's hard to say how much of that is my viewing habits.  Either way, I kind of see this show as a shittier Battlestar Galactica crossed with Lost.  Enjoyable enough.  It has that dumb CW thing going where everyone looks like they just stepped out of an Abercrombie catalog, but I can forgive that.  The show presents some intriguing mysteries and doesn't waste a lot of time.  The story is constantly moving forward.  I imagine that if you spent too much time thinking about it, the show wouldn't really hold up, but I am enjoying it for what it is.  It's dumb and fun.

I watched 2007s "the mist" because it gets the credit of being one of King's rare successful adaptations and is directed by the guy who made the majority of successful King adaptations.

It was good fun, like a condensed "the stand" in terms of tribalism. They were not kidding about the dark ending though - one of the cruellest I've seen. It was also fun spotting the many Walking Dead cast members,

15 minutes ago, red snow said:

I watched 2007s "the mist" because it gets the credit of being one of King's rare successful adaptations and is directed by the guy who made the majority of successful King adaptations.

It was good fun, like a condensed "the stand" in terms of tribalism. They were not kidding about the dark ending though - one of the cruellest I've seen. It was also fun spotting the many Walking Dead cast members,

The ending of that movie is so fucking good.  Much better than the book.

2 hours ago, briantw said:

The ending of that movie is so fucking good.  Much better than the book.

Haven't read the book but the film ending was how "horror" films should end. Amazed they went with that ending - felt more like a directors cut. Thomas Jane feels like one of those actors who just missed out on making it big - he was great in this.

9 hours ago, red snow said:

Haven't read the book but the film ending was how "horror" films should end. Amazed they went with that ending - felt more like a directors cut. Thomas Jane feels like one of those actors who just missed out on making it big - he was great in this.

It was definitely a ballsy way to end a film.  I probably shouldn't have said it was way better than the book ending.  Way better is an overstatement.  It was better, though.

15 hours ago, briantw said:

Watched the first season of The 100 because it was popping up all over my Netflix "because you watched" lists.  I share the account with at least three other people, so it's hard to say how much of that is my viewing habits.  Either way, I kind of see this show as a shittier Battlestar Galactica crossed with Lost.  Enjoyable enough.  It has that dumb CW thing going where everyone looks like they just stepped out of an Abercrombie catalog, but I can forgive that.  The show presents some intriguing mysteries and doesn't waste a lot of time.  The story is constantly moving forward.  I imagine that if you spent too much time thinking about it, the show wouldn't really hold up, but I am enjoying it for what it is.  It's dumb and fun.

The second season has some excellent episodes in it, unfortunately I thought the show went downhill fast in season 3.

21 hours ago, williamjm said:

The second season has some excellent episodes in it, unfortunately I thought the show went downhill fast in season 3.

I think one of the things I liked most about the show was how they made it seem like...

Spoiler

Kane was going to be a generic dick bad guy, but then they actually developed his character and it turned out he wasn't a bad guy after all.  Granted, I'm still only in the early parts of season two, so maybe that changes, but I appreciated how they teased that he was going to be the one to turn on the Council but he ended up being the guy who saved a ton of lives and was willing to sacrifice himself.  Nice development there.

Since the final season has been airing, I've started watching the first season of Turn. I had previously watched the first two or three episodes when it first aired on AMC, but it failed to hold my interest and I gave up on it. I'm now about halfway through the first season and am pleased to have given it another try. It just took a few more episodes for the story to really develop.

On 8/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, williamjm said:

Yeah season 3 was terrible.  Season 4 does improve, but it's much closer to season 1's quality than season 2's.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Since the final season has been airing, I've started watching the first season of Turn. I had previously watched the first two or three episodes when it first aired on AMC, but it failed to hold my interest and I gave up on it. I'm now about halfway through the first season and am pleased to have given it another try. It just took a few more episodes for the story to really develop.

Great show, with some fantastic characters.

28 minutes ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Great show, with some fantastic characters.

Turn does what one hopes in a television series: it starts a bit problematically but the longer it goes the better it gets.  I've only watched the first three seasons (via netflix), so I'm looking forward very much to whenever the final season turns up there.  Ah-hem.

I wish US television would do more history drama series.  OTOH, if I get my wish I'll probably hate them for being so awful and not history at all.

But there's so much to draw on!  I would like to see a good, multi-season War of 1812 series, that includes both the Canadian - Great Lakes campaigns, and those on the Chesapeake -- lots of great naval scenes, which probably cost too much if they aren't the sole focus -- and what is going on in Europe with John Quincy Adams and so on -- and maybe conclude with the negotiations of Adams and Clay in a peace treaty, and then Andrew Jackson's campaigns in the south, and how the Battle of New Orleans was certainly going to make him POTUS.  Then -- a new series spun out of Jackson's administrations.  Also the period in which Jefferson has the Louisiana Territory land in his lap, Burr killing Hamilton and gone adventuring in the 'west' (which includes Jackson), Lewis & Clarke -- fun stuff!  (as long as one didn't have to do that oneself, of course)

Archived