What you're reading - June 2017

RedEyedGhost

7 hours ago, Beathag said:

Trying to find hardback copies of books I read and liked when rearing children.  Discovered it is more difficult than I thought.  Grass Dancer is only available as a paperback.

Am reading Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell for the sixth or seventh time since the Pratchett book I was reading fell behind the little bookcase.

Then, if I don't move the bookcase, I will start The Wheel of Time and finish it this time. A good friend said whoever swept in and finished it up did a fine job. Sniff, twitch.

Oh I could write my own trilogy about the hunt for books I read growing up in hardcover,

Finally got around to finishing A Cavern of Black Ice.

This really falls into the category of book I wanted to love but didn't. Some gorgeous atmosphere and world-building immersion, but frankly, the descriptions of cold were more memorable than the actual plot, which progressed like Blackadder's asthmatic ant with heavy shopping.

Next up is As Red As Blood, by Salla Simukka.

Finished Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms.  I had only read the first of the three short stories previously.  I really enjoyed it but at the same time lamented the lack of ASOIAF this past decade.  With just a single POV, the prose was slow, simple and stolid to reflect Dunk very well.  There's lots of exposition of the Blackfyre rebellion, that that's perfectly acceptable fan service.

Now reading The Surgeon's Mate, #7 of O'Brian's Aubrey and Maturin series. 

And...I'm over with Novik's Dragon series. Instead of exploring Dragon Abolition, it became the continent-of-the-week, each with a different dragon culture. Bored.

Trying to decide what to read next. I really don't want to go historical.

On 02/07/2017 at 0:52 PM, Darth Richard II said:

Don't think it's been a decade since ADwD yet.

Give it time.

Anyway, finished Simukka's trilogy. First one is OK for a YA crime novel; the next two aren't so good, but at least they're short.

Next up is The Last Wish, by Andrej Sapkowski.

Archived