HBO Exec on Prequels, Final Season

Westeros

On 1. 8. 2017 at 4:22 AM, lancerman said:

True but generally we are going to have an idea of what the broad strokes are. So the dream od hoping he finishes so we aren't spoiled is dead. And it's been that way for awhile 

Circumstances of Shireen's and Hodor's deaths will be different. Same as Stannis and others. Stannis will not burn her because he is hundreds of miles away. Mel and Selyse might do it or Mel herself. Hodor seems to be also different because can't imagine George going for the exact same route like show did. So there are bound to be changes and some big ones.

9 hours ago, Lord Friendzone said:

Circumstances of Shireen's and Hodor's deaths will be different. Same as Stannis and others. Stannis will not burn her because he is hundreds of miles away. Mel and Selyse might do it or Mel herself. Hodor seems to be also different because can't imagine George going for the exact same route like show did. So there are bound to be changes and some big ones.

True, but the chance of Shireen not being sacrificed if unlikely. I'm pretty sure Hodor's backstory is legit. It's way too specific and obvious. 

On 4. 8. 2017 at 11:51 PM, lancerman said:

True, but the chance of Shireen not being sacrificed if unlikely. I'm pretty sure Hodor's backstory is legit. It's way too specific and obvious. 

Shireen will die but circumstances will be different. Don't think that it will be Stannis who will do it, just Mel and maybe Selyse, but she likes Shireen in the books., Even on the show she had a remorse there.

With Hodor I think it will be slightly different but he'll die helpding Bran, that much is beyond doubt.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 27/07/2017 at 9:53 PM, ummester said:

It's pretty hilarious. This thing is destined to never end. And HBO want's to turn it into fucking Days of our Lives with prequels and sequels and inbetweenels.

HBO seems to be turning for the worse. Between that Westworld rubbish, milking every droplet out of GoTs and this new Yankee Man in the High Castle rip off they have planned - thank god Netflix still makes some decent films because Hollywood stopped telling coherent stories a couple of decades back.

You're joking right? 95% of the movies on Netflix are utter garbage.

Netflix, Stan and most other streaming services are usually much better for tv series than they are for movies.

1 hour ago, Gaz0680 said:

You're joking right? 95% of the movies on Netflix are utter garbage.

Netflix, Stan and most other streaming services are usually much better for tv series than they are for movies.

I found War Machine, Beasts of No Nation and Autopsy of Jane Doe to be excellent films, far better than any I'd seen at the cinema in years.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2017 at 0:06 PM, ummester said:

I found War Machine, Beasts of No Nation and Autopsy of Jane Doe to be excellent films, far better than any I'd seen at the cinema in years.

Beasts of No Nation was amazing! Idris is such a great actor and he owned that role. Still gutted it didn't get any recognition in the awards circuit.

Jaime's/Nikolaj's NF movie is also pretty great - Small Crimes. Tarantino-y flick which I quite enjoyed, in no short part due to his performance. 

On 8/7/2017 at 11:38 AM, Lord Friendzone said:

Shireen will die but circumstances will be different. Don't think that it will be Stannis who will do it, just Mel and maybe Selyse, but she likes Shireen in the books., Even on the show she had a remorse there.

With Hodor I think it will be slightly different but he'll die helpding Bran, that much is beyond doubt.

Didn't the show runners state that it was GRRM who told them Stannis burns Shireen alive?

• 1 month later...
On 25/09/2017 at 8:05 PM, Фейсал said:

Jaime's/Nikolaj's NF movie is also pretty great - Small Crimes. Tarantino-y flick which I quite enjoyed, in no short part due to his performance. 

Small Crimes was good but if you want to be really blown away by a Nikolaj performance, I recommend Shot Caller.

On 20/09/2017 at 0:19 AM, MacDee said:

Cant we just make sure it never ends ? i think we should continue for ever. 

Why do you want it to go on forever? It was designed as a saga, not a serial - it was designed to end.

I recently watched some of season 7 again and think it's already overstayed it's welcome, should have wrapped up this season.

On 6/4/2017 at 7:27 PM, StepStark said:

Apparently it isn't. Look, Martin was very supportive to D&D, much more than I ever would, to be honest. And yet, he's not involved in the show anymore. But he's obviously already involved in the prequels. Do the math yourself, and you'll see that even Martin doesn't like the show anymore. They managed to piss even him, possibly the most understanding and forgiving source author ever.

He still gets credited for the show, even to this day, that would imply he's still somewhat involved in it. They were true to his story for five whole seasons, then they had nomore book material, so they did they're own thing, based around the guidelines which Martin gave them, in the most likely scenario. This show started with just a pilot before ever being picked up by anyone, HBO picked them up and Martin was just as involved in the actual deal, as Benioff & Weiss were, he most likely signed on for say three or four seasons, it got popular, an extension had to made, which Martin was in all likelyhood, involved in that as well. So he essentially signed on for 8 seasons, under the implication I'm assuming, that the ASOIAF would be completed and released by then. Life happens, the story still isn't completed. You can't blame Benioff & Weiss for that, without attributing some responsibility to GRRM. 

I can wait an extra year for S8, and they've already begun filming, the actors have already seen the whole script for S8, so the extension isn't related to them running out of ideas and specfically NEEDING Martin's whole story, to complete S8. It's strictly an HBO decision to build up hype. If I'm not mistaken, they did the same thing with final season of The Soprano's.

On 10/25/2017 at 4:13 PM, RhaegoTheUnborn said:

He still gets credited for the show, even to this day, that would imply he's still somewhat involved in it. They were true to his story for five whole seasons, then they had nomore book material, so they did they're own thing, based around the guidelines which Martin gave them, in the most likely scenario. This show started with just a pilot before ever being picked up by anyone, HBO picked them up and Martin was just as involved in the actual deal, as Benioff & Weiss were, he most likely signed on for say three or four seasons, it got popular, an extension had to made, which Martin was in all likelyhood, involved in that as well. So he essentially signed on for 8 seasons, under the implication I'm assuming, that the ASOIAF would be completed and released by then. Life happens, the story still isn't completed. You can't blame Benioff & Weiss for that, without attributing some responsibility to GRRM.

LOL! Are you for real? What is this based on? Can you please explain where did you get all these ideas from? I don't think I've ever heard anyone who is in any way associated with GOT talk about things you bring up here. So either you have a huge imagination, or I missed some very important things said about GOT and GRRM.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/06/2017 at 2:26 PM, RhaenysB said:

It's completely unjustified and straight up trolling the audience. The last thing I still respected in D&D and the show is that you can count on their in time delivery. Is that gone now too? 

I read somewhere that the reason why it will take so long to make 6 episodes is that characters have come together now. Before when characters were still seperate, they would have multiple departments filming at once to save time. But now they can’t really do that anymore since more characters will share the same scenes and locations. Plus, each of the episodes will be longer in season 8.

• 3 months later...

It's ironic and fitting to see people complaining this much about an extra year wait for the conclusion to the show since, you know, the books have dragged on for decades to the point a lot of people fear he will never even finish them!

• 4 weeks later...

Bet these will launch their distinct models and figures, this series might expand from Game of Thrones Season 8 finish to further in prequels before those events in entity altogether. Very interesting to read about, seems a good thing to invest to follow as a subject in most of actual. Good stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

So I anybody read that they think they will find it difficult to make a prequel that looks "as good" as the final seasons of Game of Thrones due to the increased budget in comparison to the early seasons?
I find that weird, because honestly, the early seasons looked far better in everything; costumes, sets, locations, everything. It seemed they took much more time showing us the exotic sides of Westeros and Essos (still "toned down" from the book, didn't see any brindled men or Ghiscari with red and black hair on the show<_<) than they do these days.
In Seasons 1-3 they were also really good about making the Throne Room in King's Landing look much bigger than it actually was. When season 5 first aired I thought they had somehow lost the stage and had to opt for a smaller one  (compare the scene where Joffrey hands out favours after the Battle of Blackwater with Tommen's coronation, in the former it looks like a large hall and they made the gallery seem much higher up than it actually is, in the latter it looks like a community centre and you wonder why they even bothered with the gallery)

On 6/8/2017 at 1:18 PM, RhaenysBee said:

I think show Cersei is profoundly boring and I much preferred the book version, which the show version or Lena's portrayal doesn't give justice to.

I maintain that show!Cersei seemed like a good idea at the time (season 1) just like show!Shae, and led to some excellent moments in Seasons 1-3, but caused problems in that she has been pretty boring and a bit of a creator's pet since season 4.  And since season 5/6 her writing is positively bipolar with a helping of protagonist-centered morality.
The worst thing was her "defeating" the Tyrells, not because they died, it was going to happen, but because instead of Cersei going to great lengths and sinking to horrifying depths to exploit any weakness (real or imagined) they pretty much removed 80 IQ points from everybody so show Cersei could defeat them with as little adversity as possible.
In Song of Ice and Fire, consequences and downfalls usually result from character actions, but in this case characters were made to act a certain way so that things could happen to them.
And let's not talk about how they ruined Jaime's character as a consequence....

Archived