TTTNE 470: Spam like it's 2007!

Buckwheat

It's officially the last of my summer vacation :( Tomorrow I'm starting a three-month internship at a regional newspaper and I really hope it doesn't blow.

19 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

So the reasonable thing to do is spoiler tag the contents of a show that's been out  for a couple years in a general topics thread just in case somebody who hasn't watched said show but intends to stumbles upon the information? :uhoh: I mean say I open gen chat and catch a glimpse of a discussion about Ray Donovan which has been staggering at the end of my to watch list for like over a year And then I can whip out my machine gun and take offense that they "spoiled" it for me? :dunno: I really can't wrap my head around how that's reasonable, but fine I'll try to remember to spoiler tag everything. 

Reveal hidden contents

He'll never not be Cromwell, I'm afraid. 

The Krystal YouTube channel scene was the most savage, most amazing burn.

yeah I missed Alison and Helena. Alison is back with a very very stupid wig. I hope she ditches that hair quickly because it's tragic. 

I think I finished episode 7 now, the one in which Rachel gauges her own eye. That was such a powerful sequence and I could finally feel for poor Rachel again. 

Hide contents

Nothing, in general.

i had a passing fear that they might reveal this Westmoreland as John Sadler (Mrs S's late mystery husband) but thankfully they are way better than that. (But it's totally something PLL or GoT would have done)

I mean, yeah, that's my preffered tactic ;) I know I'm prety much alone in this though. I'm not saying it's fair to take offense though, you'd be within your rights to discuss old seasons of anything here. It's just that I see spoiler tags as a common courtesy.

Spoiler

That had never even occured to me, in fact I had forgotten that S even had a husband. Yeah that would've been godawful.

19 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Great news! Does Lil O have to change schools? (I have no idea how far you moved.) I hope he finds new friends in the new environment soon. :)

Wait, are you saying Romeo and Juliet is not general knowledge or am I misunderstanding something?

No, I'm saying it is, but stuff like Orphan Black isn't. Though I didn't phrase it very well :P 

On 8/27/2017 at 2:38 PM, First of My Name said:

It's officially the last of my summer vacation :( Tomorrow I'm starting a three-month internship at a regional newspaper and I really hope it doesn't blow.

Gooooood luck with that! I am at seaside again. Be jelly. :P

I mean, yeah, that's my preffered tactic ;) I know I'm prety much alone in this though. I'm not saying it's fair to take offense though, you'd be within your rights to discuss old seasons of anything here. It's just that I see spoiler tags as a common courtesy.

Same here, I do not see putting stuff inside spoiler tags as troubke and lots of work, just a simple courtesy.

No, I'm saying it is, but stuff like Orphan Black isn't. Though I didn't phrase it very well :P 

Thanks for clarification. ;)

4 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

What is dead shall never die.

How have you all been, Spam Queens and Spam Kings?

Welcome back, Ash!

Eh, it still doesn't make much sense, but I enjoy GOT for what it is, even if it is less than it was. Lena Headey was fantastic.

5 hours ago, Buckwheat said:

Gooooood luck with that! I am at seaside again. Be jelly. :P

Same here, I do not see putting stuff inside spoiler tags as troubke and lots of work, just a simple courtesy.

Thanks for clarification. ;)

Oh, I am ;)  The first day was alright, at least.

5 hours ago, Ashara_Dayne said:

Good luck FON

And ty Buck. Glad to see you spamming with fervor

Thanks, and welcome back.

On 2017. 08. 27. at 2:38 PM, First of My Name said:

Reveal hidden contents

That had never even occured to me, in fact I had forgotten that S even had a husband. Yeah that would've been godawful.

Good luck with your internship. 

I mean... I'll try to be less rude in the future :lol: 

my brain still hurts from this episode... 

2 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

So I guess l'll go a crack my skull open against a wall, and fry my brain in a pan on coconut oil. 

I am seriously considering not watching season 8.

Tell me your concerns child and I will attempt to soothe them like Maester Luwin. In spoilers of course.

10 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:

Tell me your concerns child and I will attempt to soothe them like Maester Luwin. In spoilers of course.

Yeah yeah, I'm not THAT lacking in curtesy :lol: 

(Godawful GoT finale spoiler)

Spoiler

If I get past the fact that the dialogue was mainly godawful, the issues that bug me the most are: 

how could Cersei possibly not take the chance to kill Tyrion and how could he possibly not see right through her, just an hour after lecturing Jon about lying to enemies? 

So Bran knows everything that happened in the past and everything that happens in the present but requires Sam's assistance to correct his factual mistakes? HOW does he not know about the secret marriage if he knows everything? 

Kit harrington's butt and flashback montage? 

AEGON? 

1 minute ago, RhaenysB said:

Hide contents

If I get past the fact that the dialogue was mainly godawful, the issues that bug me the most are: 

how could Cersei possibly not take the chance to kill Tyrion and how could he possibly not see right through her, just an hour after lecturing Jon about lying to enemies? 

So Bran knows everything that happened in the past and everything that happens in the present but requires Sam's assistance to correct his factual mistakes? HOW does he not know about the secret marriage if he knows everything? 

AEGON? 

Spoiler

Bad dialogue I cannot solve, bits of it certainly were pretentious and meaningless Jon and Theon stood out to me particulary.

Because I think she thinks she'll get a chance later, she doesn't plan to lose in the long run so there's no problem kicking that can down the road, as it would get in the way of her longer con. Tyrion is hubristic, it's one of his main characteristics, so he underestimates her. But mainly Cersei's plan is terrible, and he, wrongly, thinks she's smarter than that. Plus it's pretty clear he wants his family to like (maybe respect is more accurate) him, even the one's he hates, so he has a blind spot there.

Because Bran only thinks he knows everything. It seems he's still only looking at individual moments not a whole stream of all time ever. So he's cherry picked the bits he wants to see as he considers them important. Presumably he didn't consider that Rhaegar would annul his marriage, as polygamy is apparently not allowed in D&D's world. So his revelation to and interest in Jon was reduced, he's more concerned with the night king. It makes little difference to him that Jon is a Sand or a Snow, so he hasn't looked into it.

I'm assuming you're criticising the juxtaposition here? (Because that is not a bad arse, and whilst Rhaegar was a little too Viserys for my taste, it was a tender scene.) We're meant to feel like the revelation will put a real spanner of the works of their relationship, now that they have slept together it's serious. And Jon realising he's technically more legitimate will make for more conflict given the previous intimacy. It's a soap at this point.

Every Targaryan and there mum is called Aegon, what else were they going to call him. He can always take Jon as his regnal name.

For the record I was lukewarm on it. I've decided to just watch it as a show-watcher not as a reader. YMMV

5 minutes ago, The BlackBear said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Bad dialogue I cannot solve, bits of it certainly were pretentious and meaningless Jon and Theon stood out to me particulary.

Because I think she thinks she'll get a chance later, she doesn't plan to lose in the long run so there's no problem kicking that can down the road, as it would get in the way of her longer con. Tyrion is hubristic, it's one of his main characteristics, so he underestimates her. But mainly Cersei's plan is terrible, and he, wrongly, thinks she's smarter than that. Plus it's pretty clear he wants his family to like (maybe respect is more accurate) him, even the one's he hates, so he has a blind spot there.

Because Bran only thinks he knows everything. It seems he's still only looking at individual moments not a whole stream of all time ever. So he's cherry picked the bits he wants to see as he considers them important. Presumably he didn't consider that Rhaegar would annul his marriage, as polygamy is apparently not allowed in D&D's world. So his revelation to and interest in Jon was reduced, he's more concerned with the night king. It makes little difference to him that Jon is a Sand or a Snow, so he hasn't looked into it.

I'm assuming you're criticising the juxtaposition here? (Because that is not a bad arse, and whilst Rhaegar was a little too Viserys for my taste, it was a tender scene.) We're meant to feel like the revelation will put a real spanner of the works of their relationship, now that they have slept together it's serious. And Jon realising he's technically more legitimate will make for more conflict given the previous intimacy. It's a soap at this point.

Every Targaryan and there mum is called Aegon, what else were they going to call him. He can always take Jon as his regnal name.

For the record I was lukewarm on it. I've decided to just watch it as a show-watcher not as a reader. YMMV

Spoiler

Okay... let's accept that... I mean... fine, let's say that after going mad king on Ellaria and Tyene and willing to go mad queen on Olenna hadn't it been for Jaime, and she chooses to restrain herself in the case of Tyrion... because... she has a plan and thinks for the long term. 

He finds out that Jon is the son of his aunt Lyanna by Rhaegar Targaryen and he doesn't look into that? Like... whaaaay? And what does he look into? His contribution to the plot of this season has been "the dead are marching for the wall". I have known this for seasons and so has Bran and so has half the cast. 

A little? he was a viserys replica. The one way you could tell it wasn't actually Harry Lloyd was his nose. 

But Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon! Hi, meet my kids, Rhaenys, Aegon and Aegon. Goooood. 

I went into this season with an open mind, the beginning was meh, it started to improve and then things just dead dropped from episode 6. Aaaagh it was so awful. 

1 minute ago, RhaenysB said:
  Hide contents

Okay... let's accept that... I mean... fine, let's say that after going mad king on Ellaria and Tyene and willing to go mad queen on Olenna hadn't it been for Jaime, and she chooses to restrain herself in the case of Tyrion... because... she has a plan and thinks for the long term. 

He finds out that Jon is the son of his aunt Lyanna by Rhaegar Targaryen and he doesn't look into that? Like... whaaaay? And what does he look into? His contribution to the plot of this season has been "the dead are marching for the wall". I have known this for seasons and so has Bran and so has half the cast. 

A little? he was a viserys replica. The one way you could tell it wasn't actually Harry Lloyd was his nose. 

But Rhaegar already had a son named Aegon! Hi, meet my kids, Rhaenys, Aegon and Aegon. Goooood. 

I went into this season with an open mind, the beginning was meh, it started to improve and then things just dead dropped from episode 6. Aaaagh it was so awful. 

Spoiler

She has absolutely nothing to lose if she kills them, so she does. If she kills Tyrion, Dany turns up and nukes her, game over.

Bran is massively disconnected at this point, things that seem very important to us wouldn't to him. We haven't seen him doing much, but that doesn't mean he isn't spending most of his time scouting the North. Just before the scene at East Watch we see a big ass murder of crows, which is Bran for sure. He likely has been doing this a lot. They have limited screen time and filling it with a boy staring at nothing seems a waste.

I went back and read CoK Chapter 48. Dany initially thinks Viserys when she sees Rhaegar. And specifically says he has the same hair.

Ever heard of George Foreman? Queen Victoria wanted every male after her named Albert. But more importantly he was obsessed with prophesy and believed there'd have to be another so named him Aegon as well, as that is the pinnacle of Targ names. They were equally important in his eyes.

13 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

Hide contents

AEGON? 

Spoiler

It could have been something good like Maegor or Aerys but then I guess it wouldn't be fitting of his good guy character.

12 hours ago, The BlackBear said:
  Hide contents

She has absolutely nothing to lose if she kills them, so she does. If she kills Tyrion, Dany turns up and nukes her, game over.

Bran is massively disconnected at this point, things that seem very important to us wouldn't to him. We haven't seen him doing much, but that doesn't mean he isn't spending most of his time scouting the North. Just before the scene at East Watch we see a big ass murder of crows, which is Bran for sure. He likely has been doing this a lot. They have limited screen time and filling it with a boy staring at nothing seems a waste.

I went back and read CoK Chapter 48. Dany initially thinks Viserys when she sees Rhaegar. And specifically says he has the same hair.

Ever heard of George Foreman? Queen Victoria wanted every male after her named Albert. But more importantly he was obsessed with prophesy and believed there'd have to be another so named him Aegon as well, as that is the pinnacle of Targ names. They were equally important in his eyes.

Spoiler

Okay, fair enough. That's still no reason for Tyrion to trust her or believe a word she says or think that being pregnant makes her any more sane or honorable as if she hadn't been batshit crazy while she had children. 

It would have been great to use this though, for instance when the fellowship went north to capture a wight. Because like this, Bran did next to nothing this season. Even internet stalking LF's browser history happened off camera. 

I really don't care, it looked ridiculous and it was the laziest shit they had ever done. And there is no mention of Rhaegar's alleged prophecy obsession in the show at all, so that's hardly the reason.

@Lord Sidious 

Spoiler

I mean, Aegon wasn't even a good guy, he burned the shit out the seven kingdoms and demanded that everybody bendaknee. 

He could have been called ANYTHING but Aegon. He could have been aerys or Rhaegar II or maekar or maegor or Jahaerys or Johaerys or Rhaegon or anything random the show comes up with. Just not the exact same thing Rhaegar's other kid is called. He could have been called Holgaer

Oh look I'm at Ikea again trying to get my stuff back. Which I won't. For at least another week. So now they are trying to pay me the money back. But eeeew there are so many items and it takes so looooong and it's such hard woooork. So it's going slowly. Oh and one lady at customer service even hinted at how they are "trying to" believe that it was the real delivery men that signed the delivery list and marked the missing items and those are the real missing items he marked. thankfully the manager shut her down and she went on a lunch break because things would have got ugly. I can't believe this... 

<spoiler>

I wonder if this is how it still works.

</spoiler>

Spoiler

Apparently there's a button now. Very well.

I've come to accept that the show will be very different from the books - after all we've all seen them make more and more changes with each passing season.

I get why they didn't introduce a lot of characters - after all they do have a limited budget and casting every Tyrell and Martell is not very cost-effective. I even get why they didn't have Lady Stoneheart.

Some changes in the narrative however, I cannot accept. Making Jon dumb for example.

From the moment when he wanted to seal the tunnel in season 4 (while in the books he was the one arguing to keep it open) to the multitude of scenes where he needed Sansa to explain to him the political picture in the North (which is ridiculous on many levels) - it feels like they've been trying to gradually turn him into Ned (which is not where his arc is going in the books at all).

I think this is all my way of saying that the show to me has become, at some level, epic fanfiction TV filler that I watch until the books come out. Once I realized that, the changes stopped bothering me so much.

I honestly liked the final episode - especially Littlefinger's end. It felt right. 

As far as Bran goes - from a certain point of view his lack of information makes sense. It's like he's the only one in the world with access to Google - he can find what he wants to know but he has know what to search for. 

As for Aegon - no, the name makes no sense. Then again, whether he was named Aegon, Viserys, or Aemon - the name will ultimately not matter, IMO. 

Oh, and thinking of things that I liked - even if it's not cannon I have to admit that the way Brienne and the Hound discussed Arya was heartwarming in a very murdery way.

On 8/28/2017 at 11:55 AM, Ashara_Dayne said:

What is dead shall never die.

How have you all been, Spam Queens and Spam Kings?

Dear Ashara, you have been away for a long time, TTTNE is no longer a Kingdom, it is an Empire, and is not ruled by a King or Queen this year but by a master and an apprentice :D.

P.S. Message me it's been ages!, I hope you've been well :).

8 hours ago, RhaenysB said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Okay, fair enough. That's still no reason for Tyrion to trust her or believe a word she says or think that being pregnant makes her any more sane or honorable as if she hadn't been batshit crazy while she had children. 

It would have been great to use this though, for instance when the fellowship went north to capture a wight. Because like this, Bran did next to nothing this season. Even internet stalking LF's browser history happened off camera. 

I really don't care, it looked ridiculous and it was the laziest shit they had ever done. And there is no mention of Rhaegar's alleged prophecy obsession in the show at all, so that's hardly the reason.

@Lord Sidious 

Reveal hidden contents

I mean, Aegon wasn't even a good guy, he burned the shit out the seven kingdoms and demanded that everybody bendaknee. 

He could have been called ANYTHING but Aegon. He could have been aerys or Rhaegar II or maekar or maegor or Jahaerys or Johaerys or Rhaegon or anything random the show comes up with. Just not the exact same thing Rhaegar's other kid is called. He could have been called Holgaer

Oh look I'm at Ikea again trying to get my stuff back. Which I won't. For at least another week. So now they are trying to pay me the money back. But eeeew there are so many items and it takes so looooong and it's such hard woooork. So it's going slowly. Oh and one lady at customer service even hinted at how they are "trying to" believe that it was the real delivery men that signed the delivery list and marked the missing items and those are the real missing items he marked. thankfully the manager shut her down and she went on a lunch break because things would have got ugly. I can't believe this... 

Spoiler

Yes it was all a bit silly, if it makes you feel remotely better I can promise my child won't be called Aegon :P.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Dear Ashara, you have been away for a long time, TTTNE is no longer a Kingdom, it is an Empire, and is not ruled by a King or Queen this year but by a master and an apprentice :D.

P.S. Message me it's been ages!, I hope you've been well :).

Hide contents

Yes it was all a bit silly, if it makes you feel remotely better I can promise my child won't be called Aegon :P.

Visenya might be a nice name for a budding female Sith...

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Visenya might be a nice name for a budding female Sith...

Indeed it would, she would rule kindergarten with Fire, Blood and the Dark Side of the Force, funnily enough I'm having my scan later on so will know what's baking in the oven.

1 hour ago, Lord Sidious said:

Indeed it would, she would rule kindergarten with Fire, Blood and the Dark Side of the Force, funnily enough I'm having my scan later on so will know what's baking in the oven.

Oh, have you decided you want to know now?

Archived