Dark Matter (Season 3)

SpaceChampion

The Dark Matter / Killjoys thread is not yet at 20 pages, but almost there, so going to take this opportunity to start a separate thread for Dark Matter season 3, which premieres with 2 episodes this Friday (June 9) on SyFy and Space (in Canada).

trailer:

clip:

another trailer:

Recap:

Didn't see when you made this thread, but my DVR remembered for me to record the premiere. I liked the 2nd episode of the premiere better than the first.

Four makes a good antagonist. I also hope we get to see more of Torri Higginson. 

Spoiler

I can't believe they killed off Nyx. :(

Did they just recast the GA guy (Anders)? Or am I just confusing characters?

EDIT: Nevermind, I confused Six's friend (Anders) with the guy who was tracking the Raza in season 2. What happened to the latter? He's dead?

Booooo, no more David Hewlett. I don't care for his "replacement".

And why did Six have to leave the ship? I get want he wants to do, but the crew of the Raza needs to get larger, not smaller. I hope that ex-special forces woman is good. 

What the... Did they just introduce the infamous General in a split-second and then kill him in his second scene? Of a somehow standalone episode?

I mean, isn't he supposed to be Six's nemesis and big baddy? Maybe that was just a clone...

5 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

Seems like Six wants to create the United Federation of Planets.  I think we'll see him again, and as often as Ryo.

Well that League of Autonomous Worlds he mentioned, its acronym would be LAW. :D

10 hours ago, Pliskin said:

I mean, isn't he supposed to be Six's nemesis and big baddy? Maybe that was just a clone...

Definitely a clone; that's his standard operating procedure (or if it wasn't, it's out of character and bad writing). It was weird that they didn't make it obvious onscreen, though.

10 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I think we'll see him again, and as often as Ryo.

I hope so. Perhaps not as often, but he certainly should be back.

On 18/6/2017 at 5:25 AM, felice said:

Definitely a clone; that's his standard operating procedure (or if it wasn't, it's out of character and bad writing). It was weird that they didn't make it obvious onscreen, though.

I hope it was a clone. If Six does not return (much) because the actor had to leave the show (since Roger Cross is in everything there may have been scheduling issues) it's possible they had to write him out in a hurry.

Anyway, this season I liked the sparring with Four/Ryo in episode 2 (and it's a great move to get a former friend as a major enemy, much better than a cardboard villain) and also very much the latest one, with the time loop. A cliché yes, but really great execution and with some surprising tidbits at the end.

Ep 1 was OK, but the tension wasn't there since I knew who would survive as they had all been filming a lot for S3. Ep 3 was OK but for the General, at least if the latter was really killed and it was not a clone.

I hope this show gets to see out the entire planned run of 5 seasons, I want to see the ending, now more than ever. For once, a writer has actually more or less planned things out in advance and is simply delivering year after year. Not seen since Babylon 5, I guess.

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the season finale. They once again managed to bring the right amount of tension, making you think at least one major character is done for.

Spoiler

But I bet Six is still alive, but trapped in the parallel universe.

That episode where the Android briefly travels thru time is paying off. Not sure about the whole fall of the House of Ishida plot. Four is still alive, and still has a chance to retake his empire. Maybe he'll say fuck it, give the reigns to Teku, and return to the Raza as Four.

I'm glad I've stuck with the series. It's not as good as Killjoys, but it still brings plenty of enjoyment, and I do love space battles.

Yeah, huh!  (Re: trying to survive huge space blasts.   It gets easier when the blast wasn't really a bomb).

Uhhhhh, i like how in the future you have to tell your crew to "fire again!" which implies they otherwise would have just sat at their stations and waited to die.    

Don't ever play poker with that white hole bomb making corporation.  Jesus!

I'm confused about the whereabouts of portia lynn and her gun toting teammate versus our crew's 2- some.    Next year then.

18 hours ago, Corvinus said:

I'm glad I've stuck with the series. It's not as good as Killjoys, but it still brings plenty of enjoyment, and I do love space battles.

It's much more fun than Killjoys. I couldn't care less for the cheesy green goo and the convoluted Aneela plot, whereas Dark Matter always surprises me. Season 3 was great, even though quite disjointed. Hopefully, now everything is brought together for a straightforward season 4.

The show is still not assured to be renewed though...

Can we dispense with spoiler tags now the season has finished airing?

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:
  Hide contents

Not sure about the whole fall of the House of Ishida plot. Four is still alive, and still has a chance to retake his empire.

Spoiler

Not much of a chance! His people hate him, and his handful of loyalist ships were taking a pounding from Ferris even before the Black Ships show up. Hopefully he's figured out that he's an awful ruler and won't try again.

22 hours ago, Corvinus said:

Dark Matter has certainly gotten better since the first season, while I feel Killjoys hasn't entirely been living up to its potential.

16 hours ago, The Mother of The Others said:

I'm confused about the whereabouts of portia lynn and her gun toting teammate versus our crew's 2- some.    Next year then.

I hope that they close out the arc with their evil dopplegangers. There is only so much they can do with them.

Archived