Dark Matter (Season 3)

SpaceChampion

23 hours ago, Pliskin said:

SyFy cancelled Dark Matter, while keeping Killjoys for two more seasons...

This is baffling. I would rather they had done the opposite.

Damn it. I would have been ok with this after the first season, maybe even the 2nd season, but now the show has gotten more interesting, and of course SyFy cancels it.

The difference seems to be that Killjoys is a homegrown Canadian production (Temple Street, same production company that made Orphan Black) + Bell Media and just licensed south of the border to SyFy (Universal, their parent company licenses it worldwide), so the latter has no ability to shut it down really, while Dark Matter was paid for by SyFy and syndicated the other way over the border.

10 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

questions.... did they wrap the show up?... is it worth putting on my binge list?

Total cliffhanger, unfortunately. If you can live with that and are in the mood for some lightweight space adventure, it's entertaining enough. Starts off fairly weak, but gets better as it goes.

On 4-9-2017 at 11:48 AM, felice said:

Total cliffhanger, unfortunately. If you can live with that and are in the mood for some lightweight space adventure, it's entertaining enough. Starts off fairly weak, but gets better as it goes.

Show producer Joe Mallozzi is trying to get another network (or Netflix) to pick up the show.

If he fails, he is the kind of showrunner who is very likely to either continue the story (maybe in comic book form, as the pilot was first released in that form before he got the opportunity to make a live action version) or if that is not possible, to reveal how he planned the story to have ended.

He did as much for the cliffhanger that ended Stargate:Universe, allthough he wasn't the showrunner on that one and thus not at liberty to reveal the endgame for that show.

Writing to Netflix, or filling in a form on their site requesting Dark Matter S4 and S5 (the story has always been planned to be done in 5 seasons) may help.

Now that Netflix is bankrolling ST: Discovery, they may be interested in more scifi in a somewhat similar vein.

On ‎4‎.‎09‎.‎2017 at 2:09 AM, Martini Sigil said:

questions.... did they wrap the show up?... is it worth putting on my binge list?

While I loved the show I don't think this journey is worthwhile unless you have nothing else to watch.

On 6-9-2017 at 9:13 AM, The Mother of The Others said:

watching all the episodes in random order might be a good way to counteract the cliffhanger ending.     

No, the episodes have to be watched in order because they tend to build on one another.

Dark Matter is very watchable for anyone who is a Stargate-fan or a fan of ship-based SF (not of the "hard" variety) in general.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, SpaceChampion said:

Apparently MGM wanted it for their Stargate Command streaming platform, but crossing over with Stargate.

Well I'm glad that didn't happen. It would have been ridiculous. 

I'm sorry DM got cancelled, just as it was getting better. I would have been ok with the show continuing on at Stargate Command, but not with it crossing over with Stargate. It's barely crossover material with Killjoys.

At first, I was vehemently against any crossover with Killjoys (the universes just didn't fit). But after they got the Blink Drive, you could basically cross over with anything you'd like while still keeping it as an inconsequential fan service-y episode with no ridiculous repercussion on the rest of the show.

I couldn't care less for a Stargate crossover, but if that's what it takes to get a season 4, I would have happily cheered for it. Too bad contracts prevented it from happening.

• 9 months later...

Just saw the third season on Netflix. Too bad about the cancellation. The writer put up summaries of the first 2 episodes of season 4 for anyone curious. 

Ep 1: https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/05/29/may-29-2018-dark-matter-virtual-episode-4-01-collected-links-and-bts-photos-from-the-vault/

Ep 2: https://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/2018/06/25/june-25-2018/

• 7 months later...

Joseph Mallozzi spills the beans on the very stupid reasons why Dark Matter was cancelled:

It irritates me too. Especially because I had a five season plan going in complete with character and story arcs (which is why we were always able to set-up and pay off so much as the show went along). But, since you asked, this is what went down...

When we were first pitching the show, the pilot script went to Syfy's Acquisition division in New York. They picked up the show. But as it turns out, the script had also been sent to Syfy's Originals division in L.A. - who hated it and passed. And when they found out that the Acquisitions department in NY had picked up a project they had passed on, I heard they were decidedly Unhappy.

Then the show premiered and outperformed most of their originals. Which, from what I heard, really didn't sit well with Syfy L.A.

Fast-forward three years later and our point person in New York left to go to Netflix. As a result, we didn't have a champion in our corner anymore. Even though we were the network's third-most watched show, I heard that not one executive stepped up for us. And, well, Syfy L.A. were never really fans - so we were cancelled. Without so much as a press release or a thank you. We went back at them and asked for the opportunity to offer fans a conclusion, even simply in the form of a two hour movie. They never even answered the email.

Archived