Bumping for Benjen Vol. VII

Voice

Do you know already what is going to happen in Season 6 or have you managed to stay unspoiled?

I have watched the first 4 episodes of Season 7, but I think I'm finally going to stop watching he show. The last episode wasn't super bad. It wasn't as good as the stuff from earlier season either, but it had some stuff I liked which happens rarely enough these days. The thing is I already disliked the last two seasons and I was already considering to stop watching before Season 7 aired. Some of the other ranters convinced me to continue, becuase ranting is fun, but I can barely muster the energy for it anymore. I have read the spoilers for the next Episodes of Season 7 and it sounds like it's getting worse. Feels weird to stop watching despite my dislike for Seasons 5&6 as well as some season 4 stuff I used to love this show once. It has been part of my life for over 5 years now. I think now is a good time to finally stop.  I'm going to do a full re-read of the books has been a while since I last did that, 4,5 years to be exact. 

I do seek out spoilers but there are always some I miss, and little details that annoy me. I find knowing what's been done in advance lessens the likelihood of my throwing something at the television in frustration. I haven't given up on it yet, but I might at some point.

I haven't done a full reread yet. Don't remember how long it's been since my initial read. 

Yeah knowing what will happen it advance definetly lessed my frustration about some stuff. I ranted less about Season 7's episodes, because I did it back when the spoilers came (though there is some stuff they missed). My big problem is that there is nothing that interests me about the show anymore. I didn't have high hopes for Season 6 when I watched it, but I was interested in seeing some stuff like Jon's ressurection and a Stark re-union. Moreover, there were some storylines were they were still "adapting" book material and I was interested in seeing the screen versions of the TOJ scene or Jaime's riverlands adventure. In both cases the show disappointed me, but I had a least something to look forward to. There is no storyline or even scene left that interests me now. 

I still remember my first read, because I read the books directly after watching the show. Then I came to this board, found out how much I missed and read the books again a couple of month later. 

I think the best ones are 1-4, probably in that order. At the moment I think 5 is the worst. Dorne and the Iron Islands are so bad it's going to be hard to top them for lack of quality.

I've never actually ranked episodes per season. Might start though. My husband mentioned rewatching from Season 1, so I could rank as we rewatch. I can tell you that my favorite each season was always the one GRRM wrote, before he stopped writing episodes. I'd be thinking "Man, that was a good episode!" then I'd check to see who wrote it and sure enough it was GRRM every time.

I think I'd rank them

big gap

5=6 (due to all the plotholes of Season 6)

2 and 4 have some of the best moments of the show (blackwater, purple wedding, Tyrion's trial, Oberyn vs. the Mountain), but they both took more liberties from the books than 1&3 did and have some other stuff I dislike a lot. Season 2 always was a difficult one for me, because I watched it directly after reading the books and really noticed when they deviated from the books. The fact that they deviated in the storlines of my favourite character didn't help very much either. I guess I would have had a more positive opinion of Season 2 if I'd watched it before I read the books. Still I think that it was good TV and a lot better than Season 5 or 6. 

I never ranked episodes per Season, but I usually had a favourite and sometimes also least favourite episode per season. Agree with you that GRRM's episodes were  always outstanding. I did some earlier re-wacthes and watched every Season with the exception of Season 6 at least twice, but I can't do a re-watch right now that would be too "painful" for me. It reminds me too much of how good the earlier seasons were and I don't really want to re-watch Season 5. Maybe in a couple of years I re-watch Seasons 1-4. 

Archived