Killjoys (Season 3 to 5)

SpaceChampion

It's tough to renew a show with no characters left.

They may have tipped their hand about Dutch's survival method.  

Spoiler

There's a lady in the green, trying to get out.  (Aneela opposes it.)   When she steps out into the real, why not have her look familiar?    Aneela's original nice girl persona imprint that got removed to inject her with crazy.  Still self possessed, but with a wonder woman combat upgrade to green blood.   She could choose which of her selves to bond with and upload memories from.  Chooses Dutch.    Aneela and Dutch die.  The green dies.  Lady lives on, complete with Dutch's mind transfer.   

Just blowing up the rac ships is fun, rather than a war.

Dark Matter wants to go big and important for next year.  That leaves one asking what this show would do.  Downshift?  Prolong this green thing?   Neither sounds great.

19 hours ago, Dr. Pepper said:

The whole plan to implant false memories seemed bizarre.  The idea was sound, but the way they went around it seemed like they purposely decided to jack it up for...reasons?  I don't know.  

Yeah, they didn't even do a good job of securing the prisoner.

IIRC they only ever announced the show getting renewed after the last episode of the season had aired, so I'm hopeful we'll get a fourth season (preferably without wasting an episode or two on a nonsensical crossover).

I don't see the Hullen threat being ended this season, that's clearly the endgame. Aneela might be done as an antagonist after next week, though.

Man, D'avin is definitely the most improved character since the start of the series. "How do you feel about apostrophes?"

So we get two seasons to deal with the Lady, which I guess means that Dutch and Aneela will ultimately fail in the Green next season (Aneela gets to do the heroic sacrifice, I'd guess) and the last season will be a fight against the Lady in the real world.

6 hours ago, Jon AS said:

So we get two seasons to deal with the Lady, which I guess means that Dutch and Aneela will ultimately fail in the Green next season (Aneaela gets to do the heroic sacrifice, I'd guess) and the last season will be a fight against the Lady in the real world.

this sounds about right... they can go a lot of ways with the casting... I just hope that they don;t cast a little girl as the hackneyed, counter-intuitive villainess 

• 10 months later...

It's back!  Wasn't expecting a flashback episode as the premier for the season...   It is interesting to finally see how Dutch and Johnny Jaqobis became a team, but isn't there a war going on, where the hell is D'Avin, and it's kind of vague about what is going on in the Green.

With some sadness I will sacrifice this show. SyFy is dead to me after cancelling The Expanse, and it wasn't the first time they pulled the plug on a beloved show of mine, but it is the last.

Last season wasn't quite as good as the predecessors, so I'm not giving up on something amazing, but I did enjoy the main main characters. Maybe if it ever becomes available on a streaming service I'll finish it. Til then, may those who stick with it be entertained.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Really enjoyed this entire final season.  The resurrection of Pip was way too saccharine for my tastes, but Zeph slapping him after he thought she said, "I want to have twelve babies" almost made it worth it.  Loved the "divorce" and who gets custody of Lucy at the end.  "I choose Johnny."  Of course you do :love:

• 1 month later...

That's right i let this finale sit on the dvr unwatched for months to keep the show alive on a respirator.   To delay the end.   

A lot of things happened on Killjoys and I've already forgotten them all.  Which highlights the show's rewatch value.    The main brain strain problem with this series was having three characters who could all wear Dutch's body sometimes.   

So inside the green dimension it was like a shell game to figure out who the Lady was bodily possessing at any point in time as she changed back and forth often while people offed themselves defensively or fell unconscious for no clear reason.  And then the show went back to the Quad for the rest of each episode and I forgot who the Lady was inhabiting so next week I was like #What's Going On!??!

But aside from that it was great!   If StarTrek The Next Generation had an onscreen cast chemistry rating of 0, this show rated an 8.   The comraderie was nice to see in sci- fi where that usually suffers.  A buddy movie in space basically.   And the character motivations guided the flow of the dialogue so much more naturally than when shows use tech talk as the centerpiece.    I hope this example can influence other shows.   Then , with this kind of writing, all you need to do is add more blockbuster plots, less obscure, more straightforward.  And there you go. 

Also it would have been gooder to keep variety going from week to week rather than painting yourselves into a 2-season-long plotline corner, with a weird ongoing story that chased new viewers away when they couldn't comprehend it, I'm guessing.

Now I'm off to finally watch the finale of Game of Thrones!    Can't wait!  Expectations so high!

Archived