What House would be the most fit to rule the Seven Kingdoms?

John Doe

12 hours ago, Graydon Hicks said:

i think they choose those kinds of men, both because they can be sure of their loyalty, maybe through something like blackmail, ect, and that those men can be used as scapegoats as a last measure. and i mean very last measure. tywin is not one to throw away tools just because they get a little dirty.

I agree that the Lannisters are not people who despises honorable or chivalrous men like som cartoon character. But I think that its fairly clear that they make good use of people of low honor-standing. Tywin has Gregor and Lorch, while Tyrion gets Bronn and the Clansmen and Cersei gathers the Kettleblacks, Slynt and Qyburn to her side, and for all that we know, the Lannisters do get usefulness from these men while Robb, for instance, got more problem than use from his Boltons and Freys.

The the positive side of the Lannisters though they do seem to be loyal to their tools. They don't throw these under the bus after using them, so in that regard dishonorable men can know that if the Lannisters asks you to do something evil, they'll hold your back after it, and not just use and discard you. Which is a kind of loyalty that make the Lannisters more than just "evulz" enemies of the "goodies".

If Westeros adopts their ways, (which is more progressive) then probably Martells. Another good candidate is Tywin but his children were not good leaders. Maybe, Varys but he doesn't have a house. Most probably they need a new system to elect a new leader that doesn't involve their houses taking the leadership position.

On Sunday, June 18, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Annalee said:

We should first define what "most fit" means in this context.  There is no such person as the perfect ruler.  No house is a perfect ruler.  Every house produces good leaders and they also produce bad leaders.  Take Roose as our example.   Roose Bolton could rule efficiently and competently.  He will also flay people for the slightest of offenses.  You have a government that runs smooth like a machine and functions but his brand of justice will be too harsh in my opinion. 

That's why things like military might, the power to influence and the ability to hold the kingdoms together must be considered. There are no house traits like the Lannisters are evil and the Starks are honourable.  

i still say house targ. they forged the empire that is the seven kingdoms and , even with the internal strifes that happened, they still managed to keep it together. they became the subliminal symbol of the unity of the seven kingdoms. when robert took over, and removed the founding house to start his own dynasty, i think several of the other provinces began to pull away from the realm as a whole. not obviously, more on a subconscious level, but it would explain just how quickly the continent flew apart after robert died.

the targs, as the external family from valyria, had no prior loyalties within westeros. if any of the other great houses had tried to unite the seven kingdoms, all the others would immediately rise up in opposition, and that resentment would not simply fade with time. look at the prejudices we still see in the current point of time. reachers still hate dornish, dornish still stormlords, valemen were still isolationist, the northerners still clung tightly to their Old Gods, while all the rest of the mainland realm embraces the faith of the seven, and thus are considered primitive, barbarian savages; the ironborn still hunger for the chance to rape and pillage the mainland in the Old Ways. the westermen still hold that smug superiority of wealth. but the targs held them together so long, first by threat of Weapons of Mass Immolation, then by sheer tradition of associating their house with the right of rule, and with no real favoring one realm of the others for either privileges or punishments, that when they get removes, and stormlord was placec in their stead, that i believe those subconscious regional rivalries, prejudices, and favoritisms began to resurface, with no truly neutral overlord house to settle the differences.

Willas and Danny would be a great match. The former is shrewd, kind and is the future LP of one of the richest and most powerful houses. The Tyrells have burnt bridges with nobody and would be accepted as Kings. The latter would provide him with dragons and legitimacy which is the 2 missing parts that the Tyrells need.

Tommen would be forgiven and given the surname Lannister. He would inherit his grandfather's seat of CR and will live happily with Margaery Tyrell the King's sister. Jon Blackfyre will bend the knee only to rise as Lord Paramount of the Stormlands just like Oerys Baratheon did many centuries before. He'll marry Arya Stark and live happily ever after. Edmure will be released and appointed LP of the Riverlands, Sweet Robin will marry his beloved Sansa and Bran will become Warden of the North and have lovely children from Lady Meera Reed. Aegon will also bend the knee. He will be named Danny's heir and he will be given Dragonstone until he's of age. Afterwards he'll marry Arianne and live happily in Sunspear

On 6/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, The Wolves said:

Leave the Starks out of it, they want no part of that ugly chair. 

And that's a good thing because the current generation (Robb, Jon, Sansa, Arya, and Bran) would be awful.  Rickon is getting wild but if taken away from the wildling very soon and raised properly away from his siblings, he might turn out ok. 

I would have to go with the Tyrells mainly because:

1. They control the most fertile, arguably wealthiest (by medieval standards) and most densely populated region in the Seven Kingdoms. The resources at their disposal (especially their food) could be used to better the rest of the kingdoms if they ruled the realm on the Iron Throne. 

2. They have the largest army in the Seven Kingdoms. Kings in the olden days depended a lot on their power coming from how large of an army they had over how much they depended on the armies of autonomous vassals. With 100,000 troops at their disposal and virtually unlimited provisions, what other kingdom would dare to stand against them?

3. They take a lot of effort in training members of their family in politics and this applies to both men and women in their family. What other house has shown to put great effort into the training up their heirs to become masters of politics than the Tyrells? Even when they had an idiot at the helm like Mace, the other members of the family are competent enough to steer him and their family in the right direction.

4. They are loved by the smallfolk. They seem to be the only house that maintains good public relations not only with powerful lords but also with the smallfolk. Margaery has shown to be a great philanthropist and makes the effort into interacting and helping out those who are less fortunate and is loved because of it. 

5. They have influence over the Citadel. Because Oldtown is in the Reach and because the Hightowers are their vassals, they have the Maesters at their mercy, who to some degree may just dance to the tune their sing. That is a very big deal with you consider how much control the Maesters have over information and influence over the countless great and lesser houses of the realm.

6. They are worshipers of the Seven. The Faith of the Seven is the most dominant religion of the Seven Kingdoms and the Tyrells are officially very devout to this religion. This means the High Septon will mostly likely always be on their side along with other followers of this religion. This also means they most likely won't clash with the Faith Militant unlike previous regimes have. Although this may not resonate as well with the North, but as long as they leave the Starks and their people's religion alone and let them worship their weiwoods in peace, there won't be any problem.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 10:02 AM, devilish said:

Willas and Danny would be a great match. The former is shrewd, kind and is the future LP of one of the richest and most powerful houses. The Tyrells have burnt bridges with nobody and would be accepted as Kings. The latter would provide him with dragons and legitimacy which is the 2 missing parts that the Tyrells need.

Tommen would be forgiven and given the surname Lannister. He would inherit his grandfather's seat of CR and will live happily with Margaery Tyrell the King's sister. Jon Blackfyre will bend the knee only to rise as Lord Paramount of the Stormlands just like Oerys Baratheon did many centuries before. He'll marry Arya Stark and live happily ever after. Edmure will be released and appointed LP of the Riverlands, Sweet Robin will marry his beloved Sansa and Bran will become Warden of the North and have lovely children from Lady Meera Reed. Aegon will also bend the knee. He will be named Danny's heir and he will be given Dragonstone until he's of age. Afterwards he'll marry Arianne and live happily in Sunspear

Willas is not physically whole but he does bring a lot to the table.  His disability will keep him from fighting but Dany already has people to do that.  It is actually the perfect match up.

On 6/12/2017 at 0:46 AM, LionoftheWest said:

There's no reason to think that justice would suffer more under House Lannister than under House Targaruen or House Baratheon. The history of House Lannister does not show some great trend of tyranny beyond what is the norm in Westeros. Nor have the Targaryens acted much differently with say the Blackfyre Rebellions and they didn't get thrown down because of it.

And as much as it might pain you to see, Tywin is not the same as House Lannister

Tywin is a capable fellow but his main focus is on advancing the interests of House Lannister.  Tywin is fine as Hand of the King but as the actual king, with no restraints on his powers, he would not be the best choice.  He does strike fear but he will not be loved.  He will fall as soon as his critics see a moment of weakness.  He was working so hard to meet his goals and all the while under his nose his children's character deficiencies were undermining everything. 

Don't even get me started on Jaime.  This is the shithead who betrayed two kings.  Banging the king's wife is not cool.  I would say the War of the Five Kings was ignited by Jaime.  LF just fanned the flames.  Jaime also broke guest rights when he tried to kill Bran in Winterfell.  Cersei, of course, should not rule at all. 

Tyrion would be fine serving a monarch like Daenerys.  But he would not make a good king.  He's too weak emotionally.  He's an alcoholic and he has a big chip on his shoulder. 

14 hours ago, Enzo Ferrari said:

Tywin is a capable fellow but his main focus is on advancing the interests of House Lannister.  Tywin is fine as Hand of the King but as the actual king, with no restraints on his powers, he would not be the best choice.  He does strike fear but he will not be loved.  He will fall as soon as his critics see a moment of weakness.  He was working so hard to meet his goals and all the while under his nose his children's character deficiencies were undermining everything. 

Don't even get me started on Jaime.  This is the shithead who betrayed two kings.  Banging the king's wife is not cool.  I would say the War of the Five Kings was ignited by Jaime.  LF just fanned the flames.  Jaime also broke guest rights when he tried to kill Bran in Winterfell.  Cersei, of course, should not rule at all. 

Tyrion would be fine serving a monarch like Daenerys.  But he would not make a good king.  He's too weak emotionally.  He's an alcoholic and he has a big chip on his shoulder. 

Nah, Tywin himself would make a good king. But, he would definitely have an Edward I/Edward II situation with his children and house Lannister seems to lack an Edward III, so their dynasty wouldn't last long.

On 6/21/2017 at 1:46 AM, Graydon Hicks said:

i still say house targ. they forged the empire that is the seven kingdoms and , even with the internal strifes that happened, they still managed to keep it together. they became the subliminal symbol of the unity of the seven kingdoms. when robert took over, and removed the founding house to start his own dynasty, i think several of the other provinces began to pull away from the realm as a whole. not obviously, more on a subconscious level, but it would explain just how quickly the continent flew apart after robert died.

the targs, as the external family from valyria, had no prior loyalties within westeros. if any of the other great houses had tried to unite the seven kingdoms, all the others would immediately rise up in opposition, and that resentment would not simply fade with time. look at the prejudices we still see in the current point of time. reachers still hate dornish, dornish still stormlords, valemen were still isolationist, the northerners still clung tightly to their Old Gods, while all the rest of the mainland realm embraces the faith of the seven, and thus are considered primitive, barbarian savages; the ironborn still hunger for the chance to rape and pillage the mainland in the Old Ways. the westermen still hold that smug superiority of wealth. but the targs held them together so long, first by threat of Weapons of Mass Immolation, then by sheer tradition of associating their house with the right of rule, and with no real favoring one realm of the others for either privileges or punishments, that when they get removes, and stormlord was placec in their stead, that i believe those subconscious regional rivalries, prejudices, and favoritisms began to resurface, with no truly neutral overlord house to settle the differences.

Yes and I agree.   Also, it didn't take long for the realm to all apart under the Baratheons.  The arrogance of Robert, the Starks, and Hoster Tully in thinking they could do better is the reason why the kingdom is in its current disarray.

Okay I'm not trying to be the hipster here, but I'm going to say House Arryn.  What I want to do is to avoid fixating on single personalities like Tywin or Ned or whoever and look more at the characteristics of the House.  Now we don't know that much about house Arryn other than that it places a premium on honor and that (from my perception) they have the most serious knightly order in Westeros, which would imply a lot of things including military code and discipline.  They are the closest thing in Westeros to a house that patterns itself closer to the ideals of that society, and that manifests itself with the last head of the house, Jon Arryn, getting himself killed because he believes in truth and transparency, even for royalty.

Also, am I the only one who gets the impression that Ned Stark's own personal code is more of an Arryn thing that he picked up while a ward? Not saying the Stark way is bad, just that he was a product of both environments.  In my estimation, the Stark way is more blunt and good at keeping primitive or unruly people in line.  The North is still a bit more wild and that is why Starks deal with things in a more direct fashion, because it is what their subjects understand.

On 7/8/2017 at 3:45 PM, giant snake said:

Okay I'm not trying to be the hipster here, but I'm going to say House Arryn.  What I want to do is to avoid fixating on single personalities like Tywin or Ned or whoever and look more at the characteristics of the House.  Now we don't know that much about house Arryn other than that it places a premium on honor and that (from my perception) they have the most serious knightly order in Westeros, which would imply a lot of things including military code and discipline.  They are the closest thing in Westeros to a house that patterns itself closer to the ideals of that society, and that manifests itself with the last head of the house, Jon Arryn, getting himself killed because he believes in truth and transparency, even for royalty.

Also, am I the only one who gets the impression that Ned Stark's own personal code is more of an Arryn thing that he picked up while a ward? Not saying the Stark way is bad, just that he was a product of both environments.  In my estimation, the Stark way is more blunt and good at keeping primitive or unruly people in line.  The North is still a bit more wild and that is why Starks deal with things in a more direct fashion, because it is what their subjects understand.

would you say ned's honor is a mix of the nordic warrior honor of the first men of the north, and the knightly chivalric honor of the andals of the Vale?

I think Ned is more his own thing.  It's frustrating to me that the Arryns seem to be so insular during all of this trouble when their Lady was responsible for so much in the beginning of the story, but maybe that is actually a mark in their favor.  If they don't rush off to war, that isn't a bad thing.

I'd say house Martell, fine politicians, able to be as harsh as a royal family need against enemies but with real concern for their people, and willing to share power with their high nobility instead of behaving as absolute monarchs.

Their clear cognatic succession rule would probably have been a problem in the beginning, but once accepted would rather have increased support to the crown, each great family being allowed to have a (consort) king from its ranks once in a while and, for those having other traditions, see the dynasty as theirs.

House tyrell for sure....its already vastly stronger than any of the other houses and the reach will continue to outpace the others

Its the breadbasket of westeros and already has the largest population...those 2 things intertwine to mean its pop advantage will grow and grow

Its wealth is based on commerce rather than gold that can run out 

The heir to highgarden is basicaly a described as potentialy a good version of littlefinger and is  unmarried 

• 8 months later...

House Targeryan. Baratheons Tully starks arryn lannisters had their chance thinking arrogantly they could do better and now the westeros is in chaos with the war for the dawn 2.0 approaching. The gods gave them a great guy to prepare them but sadly they smashed his chest. They need need the targs now.

Archived