Debt to Society Paid?: Luke Heimlich

MercenaryChef

20 minutes ago, Triskele said:

There was one quote in the SI article that was interesting which was a suggestion that guilty pleas do happen when people believe they're not guilty more than people would think in a tactical kind of way when people are faced with tough odds.  It's like quirk of the way the justice system is set up.

Let me be clear:  I think he was guilty.  It's just that the guilty plea itself is not the dead ringer that it appears to be.  It's all the other stuff, so this is just a quibble.  

Agreed (and just posted in MLB thread) that he's probably not getting drafted at this point.  

Huh?  Is that even being debated?  I mean, I thought that was a the crux of half the bad outcomes for poor people, especially minorities, in the criminal system.  That because of combinations of needing to stay in jobs, not being able to attend court, poor representation and other factors that heaps of (poor) people plead guilty to charges that they are innocent of or have a reasonable chance of winning.  And then there are those who make tactical decisions to plead guilty.  Or where they're innocent, but they can't prove it.  

Isn't this pretty well known and accepted????

Isn't this the crux of many debates on whether people should fight to the end, or take a compromise that they then have to plead guilty on?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived