How will the Winds of Winter be structured?

np1234

Recently I have begun to wonder how the WOW will be structured. The previous books have always been rather unique is their structure with each giving light to new characters and areas. So im going to outline how I think the WOW will be structured. (By now I think iv considered every possible thing that could happen)

The opening chapter;

Like most opening chapters I believe the opening of TWOW will give a huge amount of vital information but it will likely we will likely be left to discover the answers ourselves. The only possible opening I can think of is of Jon in Ghosts skin where he will further his dream where he descends into the crypts of Winterfell. This will give tell us what events took place at the Wall following Jons "Death" and may give us further insight into Jons heritage. Once this is over I doubt we will ever see a POV chapter from Jon again. 

The Northern Chapters;

I think there will only be three POV characters in the North. Them being Bran, Theon, Asha and Davos. I have no idea how Brans chapters will play out but Theon and Asha will have to take part in the battle of ice in some form. Davos will play a bigger role once the battle is over, depending on what information reaches him he will either go back to the wall or to Stannis. I believe he will hear Stannis has lost (most likely because of the pick letter) and will head back to the Wall to get Shireen but learns she has been sacrificed to the Red God, the Nights Watch has fallen due to fight between the brother of the NW and the wildings. He will also hear rumors of Jon being spotted from atop the Wall. 

Then comes the Battle of Fire;

Im stilling thinking about that and the rest

The secret is in the title. The Winds of Winter heralds the coming of the great war. Where we left off in the books wasn't quite there yet. A Dream of Summer will be focused on the war for the dawn. 

I am thinking like many that a third book is creeping up on us. I disbelieve GRRM can finish all the story arcs + the great war + the finale all in two books. Well, unless the manuscripts are far larger than the preceding one. 

5 minutes ago, Helikzhan said:

The secret is in the title. The Winds of Winter heralds the coming of the great war. Where we left off in the books wasn't quite there yet. A Dream of Summer will be focused on the war for the dawn. 

I am thinking like many that a third book is creeping up on us. I disbelieve GRRM can finish all the story arcs + the great war + the finale all in two books. Well, unless the manuscripts are far larger than the preceding one. 

I'm starting to come around to the idea of an eighth book as well, mostly because of Aegon. If we're getting a second Dance of the Dragons, then I don't know how it could possibly fit in, since it will probably take Daenerys all of TWOW to get to Westeros. 

In order to give all of the characters the room they need GRRM has had a hard time keeping the page count of his manuscript down to a level that can be reasonably fit into a single volume.  Because of this the decision has been made to split the POV chapters up in such a way that roughly half of them will have their stories told in The Winds of Winter, which will soon be published in early 2019.   The chapters in this book will deal primarily in matters involving Essos and The North.  Matters involving the rest of Westeros will occur in the same time frame and will be presented from the remaining POV characters in the same time frame as those that occur in Winds.  This volume, tentatively named A Gathering of Wargs will likely be published 2024 or 2025. 

[sarcasm emoji/]

Archived