Luther (BBC): it's back!

AncalagonTheBlack

Good news for Luther fans.It seems there will be a new series with 4 episodes

Multi-award-winning crime drama series Luther will be returning to BBC One. The new four-part series written by Neil Cross and starring Idris Elba, who has received a Golden Globe and Sag Award for his performance in the role of John Luther, will start filming early next year.

Writer Neil Cross, says: “Now what? It’s a question Idris and I get asked a lot. What happened to John Luther after we last saw him striding unbowed through the streets of his city, his blood red London? It can’t be over, can it? There’s so much we don’t know. So much unfinished business.

"The thing is, we’ve been asking ourselves the same question. Because we love John and wonder what he’s up to. And as for me, I’m scared of the monsters. The face at the window. The hand under the bed. The shadow at the end of the street. Who’s going to stop them, if not John Luther?

"In the end, we picked up the phone to some old friends and asked if they’d like to find out what happens next. It turns out, they would. So that’s what we’re going to do. We’re going to find out what happens next.

"Now what? Luther’s coming back. That’s what.”

I only just got around to watching the last two episodes but agree there was more to do with the show. Hopefully they can get ruth wilson involved as her departure from the show was the most unsatisfying aspect of season 4.

I guess the hopes of making a movie fell through. Then again the shows two parters were essentially a movie format and given the strength of TV and how it can be as successful as a movie with less cost, I think another season is more sensible than a film

Wow, I don't remembered how Alice departed from the show at all... Guess I need to rewatch.  Ruth Wilson is free, now that The Affair is over (unless she's already been scooped up by something else).

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Wow, I don't remembered how Alice departed from the show at all... Guess I need to rewatch.  Ruth Wilson is free, now that The Affair is over (unless she's already been scooped up by something else).

Concerning how Alice left the show:

Spoiler

Luther is told that she died but it wasn't "on screen".  So, of course, they could easily bring the character back if they choose.

16 hours ago, RedEyedGhost said:

Looks pretty likely, I'd say.

I always got the impression they wrote her out in such a way that she could come back eg her death was faked as we never saw her die. Granted that might have just been because the actress wasn't available to film anything

• 6 months later...

Idris Elba begins filming in London on multi-award-winning BBC One series Luther

The Golden Globe and SAG Award-winner actor Idris Elba returns to his iconic role as DCI John Luther, for the fifth series created by Emmy-nominated writer Neil Cross and produced by BBC Studios.

Dermot Crowley, Michael Smiley and Patrick Malahide will return for the four-part series as DSU Martin Schenk, Benny Silver and George Cornelius; and Wunmi Mosaku, who won a Bafta for her performance in BBC One’s Damilola, Our Loved Boy in 2017, will join as new recruit D.S. Catherine Halliday. 

Idris Elba says:  “It’s good to be back in London, back in the coat.”

Neil Cross says: “We missed John Luther. We missed some old friends. And we wanted to make the biggest, scariest, darkest, most thrilling series of Luther there’s ever been. So that’s what we’ve come back to do.”

There's a weird part of me sort of hoping Luther and "hard sun" are set in the same BBCverse. Given the similarity in tone it's perfectly plausible. Although given the premise of "hard sun" it's not really the show other ones would want to tie into.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Started a re-watch of Season 1 and I'd forgotten how great that first episode was/is. Can't wait for Season 5. 

In anticipation for who might turn up in the new season I'm going right ahead and accepting this as canon.

On 11/22/2018 at 1:43 PM, ithanos said:

Started a re-watch of Season 1 and I'd forgotten how great that first episode was/is. Can't wait for Season 5. 

In anticipation for who might turn up in the new season I'm going right ahead and accepting this as canon.

One chicken is not even remotely enough food to feed all those people.  

Archived