What will happen to Stannis in TWOW?

Sup friends, How do you think things will turn up for Stannis in the next book? Will he suffer the same fate in the show or will he surprise us all?

IMO considering the current situation he's in, I think he will end up dead at the start of the book.

Would love to know your thoughts on this..

ValarMorghulis

Defeat the Boltons for sure, I do see him burning Shireen as some point too, and he'll no doubt die against Dany.

If he takes the Throne before biting it, no clue, though I don't believe he will.

I believe our friends from White Harbour will deal with the Freys alongside the Mannis. From there on in it's the battle for the north and Riverlands. Mel burns Shireen to save Jon, Stannis executes Mel. This will start Stannis down a path were he loses faith. I want to say that he will be killed while stubbornly refusing to yield to a power hungry and relentless Dany. Fields of fire style. He is but a side character after all. 

Tough call, Stannis is my favorite character and I'd love to see him take the throne but it is uncertain.  He could go in many different directions.  I believe Shireen is burned by Melisandre without Stannis' knowledge or consent which will play into Jon's resurrection, and I believe Justin Massey betrays Stannis and takes the sellswords to either Dany or Aegon.

4 minutes ago, Ser Snowflake said:

Stannis Baratheon first of his name, after defeating the Boltons at the battle of Winterfell will turn his gaze north of the wall where he will defeat the Night's King in single combat before making the Great Other bend the knee.

That's great.   I can see TGO bending the knee and Stannis being a jerk.    Perfect.  

I think we may be surprised by the direction Stannis goes in Winds.   I don't believe he is as caught up in taking the throne as he is in duty.    Seems to be his thing.   He does a lot he doesn't particularly want to do for the sake of duty.   Now that we've had the smallest glimpse of Stannis the commander beyond the influence of his good (Davos) and bad (Mel) consciences, a reader can't help but look forward to seeing his plan unfold.   It will be so good to experience Stannis win on his own.   I think he will win big and I think we will see what he's really got to offer the North and maybe all Westeros.   One thing is sure, Stannis is finally a force to reckon with.  

I don't think Stannis will have anything to do with any harming Shireen.   That will be her nutbag mother, thank you very much.   GRRM became rather vocal after Stannis was killed in the show.   I am hoping Stannis is the character who goes in this other direction he spoke of.   Although I'm not sure we will see Stannis reunite with either of his advisors I do look forward to his return to the Wall. I would love to read his reaction to the mutiny and killing of Jon.   Maybe a resurrection, too.   Personally, I'd like to see Stannis choke the life out of Melisandre because no one does righteous indignation like Stannis.   I predict he will distance himself from R'hllor and burning everything.   I expect he will get over the whole Azor Ahai reborn thing too.   He doesn't want to be a god.  I don't think he even wants to be king.   He wants to be a general.  He's in the perfect place to do it, too.  

I wonder what he will do about Manderly and the prospect of a younger more pliable Stark to hang his hat on.   How he will react to Mance in Winterfell.  What the consequences of rescuing a girl who is not Arya will be.  If Asha will actually aid him.  And all that wonderful Theon possibility.    Oh yeah, Stannis is definitely the one to look forward to in Winds.   I hope his direction finds in him and his badass northern army right on frickin' Little Finger's doorstep.  

Man why does everyone think Stannis will come out on top and defeat Ramsay? Or even take on the Night King. He is so not the prince that was promised like Melisandre believes. First of all, he's a secondary character!! He has no real backstory, there's no emotion to the guy. He's completely stoic. He's not even introduced until the second book.

If George reveals that Stannis is the end all be all character of the series, that would be TERRIBLE. The guy killed his own brother and he's too much of a one-minded character. How can he overtake someone like Jon Snow, Daenerys, or Tyrion as the savior of the series when George has hardly developed him at all?

He will probably get really desperate when things go bad in the North and then burn Shireen after some prodding from Mel, this helps him win the battle but he will feel guilty enough for what he did that he join the Night's Watch in the end to atone for his sins.

6 hours ago, shortguy457 said:

Man why does everyone think Stannis will come out on top and defeat Ramsay?

There are plenty of clues pointing to Stannis winning the upcoming battle. There's loads of topics about it, if you're interested. 

Or even take on the Night King. He is so not the prince that was promised like Melisandre believes.

He won't take on the Night's King b/c as Martin has said, the NK is a creature of legend who supposedly lived thousands of years ago, so IF he ever existed he's probably long dead. 

First of all, he's a secondary character!! He has no real backstory, there's no emotion to the guy. He's completely stoic. He's not even introduced until the second book.

He's a secondary character, as are the vast majority of characters. Do you think the story would be more interesting with just the main 5/6 (or 12 according to Martin) characters? There are plenty of characters that were introduced much later and are still important. 

Also, you seem to be confusing not wearing one's heart on one's sleeve with having no emotion. I'd argue that among the three Baratheon brothers, Stannis is the one with the deeper emotions of the three. And I have no idea what being stoic has to do with this. 

If George reveals that Stannis is the end all be all character of the series, that would be TERRIBLE. The guy killed his own brother and he's too much of a one-minded character. How can he overtake someone like Jon Snow, Daenerys, or Tyrion as the savior of the series when George has hardly developed him at all?

Of course that's not happening. Even among the top 3/4 characters (Dany, Bran, Jon, Tyrion), no one is gonna be singlehandedly the ONE SAVIOUR OF ALL HUMANKIND.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, LordImp said:

How will Stannis react on the Manderlys? He thinks they killed Davos and are loyal to Bolton. Will he charge at them or will they be allies? 

Allies. Because Manderly knows Davos is out there looking for Rickon, and his hatred for the Freys is as fierce as his loyalty to the Starks. Roose sent the Freys and the Manderlys out, and they are told to leave WF through different gates. The Freys will arrive at the crofters village before the Manderlys. They'll have a frozen lake punched full of holes in front of them and the Manderlys coming up behind them, thirsty for blood. It will be delightful, perhaps they can celebrate afterwards w/ a nice BBQ. ;)

13 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Allies. Because Manderly knows Davos is out there looking for Rickon, and his hatred for the Freys is as fierce as his loyalty to the Starks. Roose sent the Freys and the Manderlys out, and they are told to leave WF through different gates. The Freys will arrive at the crofters village before the Manderlys. They'll have a frozen lake punched full of holes in front of them and the Manderlys coming up behind them, thirsty for blood. It will be delightful, perhaps they can celebrate afterwards w/ a nice BBQ. ;)

I belive this is the case aswell. But Manderly must prove his loyalty somehow right ? Maybe Davos already has returned Rickon or something like that. 

14 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I belive this is the case aswell. But Manderly must prove his loyalty somehow right ? Maybe Davos already has returned Rickon or something like that. 

There's a theory that Wyman already has Rickon safe and so felt perfectly fine with insulting the Freys to their faces at Winterfell. He figured he might die, he just wanted to arrive to serve the vengeance pie and watch while the enemy squirms before Stannis arrived. 

43 minutes ago, LordImp said:

I think Rickon will arrive via Eastwatch w/ Davos, Shaggy, Osha and an army of Skagosi warriors. I know this could be just wishful thinking but a girl can dream, right? :D

I think Manderly knows there aren't many options. And I also think he trusts Davos... and knows or feels Davos will do everything he possibly can to bring Rickon. It's a roll of the dice, but one I think he'll very likely feel it's his best option at this point. 

ETA: Sorry, just realised I didn't address the question about proving his loyalty to Stannis... I don't think that would be difficult at all. If the Manderlys fall on the Freys and start slaughtering them, there will be little doubt left that they've turned on Bolton as well imo. And whoever is leading the Manderly forces - can't remember, is it his cousin we met in Dance? But isn't that guy missing an arm? I may be confusing a few things here, but regardless. Whoever is leading the Manderlys will have been instructed by Wyman I think. 

11 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

an army of Skagosi warriors. I know this could be just wishful thinking but a girl can dream, right

Dont think this is wishful thinking at all but rather a highly plausible scenario. 

12 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

Manderlys fall on the Freys and start slaughtering them, there will be little doubt left that they've turned on Bolton as well imo. A

You're right slaughtering Freys will be the sign for their betrayal against the Boltons. A Frey massacre will at least stop Stannis from charging at the Manderly force. 

47 minutes ago, LordImp said:

Dont think this is wishful thinking at all but rather a highly plausible scenario. 

I really like the idea... And w/ Martin being soooo deliberate w/ the info he gives us (or doesn't!), I think those mentions of ships stranded on Skagos (and Skane?) are there for a reason. 

47 minutes ago, LordImp said:

You're right slaughtering Freys will be the sign for their betrayal against the Boltons. A Frey massacre will at least stop Stannis from charging at the Manderly force. 

Exactly. And that's all that is needed initially, before they start talking... :)

Archived