NBA Draft 2017: Sixers, Celtics and Will LaVar Ball Lose His Shit on National Television Edition

Manhole Eunuchsbane

20 minutes ago, briantw said:

Also, if you guys want to know why Butler changed his tune, it was entirely about money.  If he makes one more All-NBA team, he's eligible for a Designated Player Exception from Chicago, which would allow him to sign something like a six-year, 240 million dollar contract.  If he's traded to the Cavs, he is no longer eligible for that extension, as it only applies to guys playing for their original team or guys traded to their current team during their rookie contract.

Wait, so he forgot about this fact when he was interested in Cleveland and then suddenly remembered it? 

3 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

Wait, so he forgot about this fact when he was interested in Cleveland and then suddenly remembered it? 

His agent probably informed him that he would lose out on it if he were traded.  

I've also read that the Bulls ownership would never send Butler to Cleveland, so that likely played into it as well.  All in all, though, I've read that most of the Butler stuff is a fabrication.  He may have initially pushed a trade to the Cavs, but it was shot down by Bulls management.  As such, Butler changed his tune publicly and made sure to get it out there that he wanted to stay in Chicago.  Staying also benefits him financially, of course, and his agent too.

2 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Yeah, Lebron sounded pissed about the firing. And it seemed to have cooled Jimmy Butler's interest in Cleveland as things seem less settled now. 

That said, are the Lakers really that compelling? Even if they hit a grandslam and get Lebron and Paul George next offseason, it's (probably) Ball, Clarkson, George, Lebron and Ingram as a starting 5. I'd rather have Kyrie/Thompson over Ball/Ingram for Lebron's title window over the next 3 or so years.

The only way that changes is if Ball and Ingram show some massive potential this year. I mean if Kyrie were terrible, there's no way Lebron would've returned to Cleveland to begin with. Lakers have everything riding on the young guys looking amazing. Not just DeAngelo Russell so-so but star-in-waiting. 

Lopez would be their starting center, unless they let him go. 

1 hour ago, sperry said:

Also, Celtics fans have got to be beside themselves.  They got the holy grail of three straight premiere lottery picks. So far, two of the three are looking like they turned into Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum.

Word is they're trying to send Brown, the pick and one other guy to the Knicks for the Unicorn. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

Word is they're trying to send Brown, the pick and one other guy to the Knicks for the Unicorn. 

Seems to me that the Knicks don't actually want to deal Porzingis, which is why they are asking such an absurdly high price for him.  Probably Phil trying to get in his head for skipping the exit interview.  Remember, Phil is all about those mind games.

14 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'm also hearing that Ainge is targeting Jonathan Isaac and may trade down again. I don't know much about any of these prospects so I'm just watching the shadows on the wall, but it is a little fucked up to see all this when I've been hearing for months about how great the top four or five guys are and about how Fultz is in a tier by himself. I hope Ainge is about to pull off another McHale-Parrish...

27 minutes ago, briantw said:

Seems to me that the Knicks don't actually want to deal Porzingis, which is why they are asking such an absurdly high price for him.  Probably Phil trying to get in his head for skipping the exit interview.  Remember, Phil is all about those mind games.

That's certainly a possibility, though it seems odd to be doing it in this way. Frankly I'd trade Porzingis if they could get a sold haul in return. 

1 minute ago, Tywin et al. said:

That's certainly a possibility, though it seems odd to be doing it in this way. Frankly I'd trade Porzingis if they could get a sold haul in return. 

Odd for most people, but Phil has been doing shit like this his entire career. 

12 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I'm also hearing that Ainge is targeting Jonathan Isaac and may trade down again. I don't know much about any of these prospects so I'm just watching the shadows on the wall, but it is a little fucked up to see all this when I've been hearing for months about how great the top four or five guys are and about how Fultz is in a tier by himself. I hope Ainge is about to pull off another McHale-Parrish...

You stay away from Isaac! I really hope here's there for us at the 7th spot. He'd be the perfect addition to the Wolves.

Still, I'm over here fretting that Thibs is going to do something really dumb. Earlier this week it was reported that he was considering trade the pick and Rubio for the Mav's 9th pick and some garbage SG I'd never even heard of. has anyone ever thought of trading a higher pick and a better player for a worse pick and an inferior player? 

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

Why?  He's on the third year of his contract. You have him under team control for 7 more years.

2 minutes ago, sperry said:

Why?  He's on the third year of his contract. You have him under team control for 7 more years.

And if he makes a couple of All-NBA teams in that time, you've also essentially got him for another six after that, because ain't nobody turning down 240 million dollars.

Wow T-Wolves!

Also just laughing at how bad the Celtics have botched this treasure trove they stole from Brooklyn.  You ended up with Jayson Tatum and Jaylen Brown from the #1 and #3 overall picks in consecutive years. That's a fucking disaster.

Archived