Tyrion is not smart. Every desicion he makes is wrong.

Sanrast

He's the one who persuaded Dany to let Jon mine the dragonglass this season. So even though he's fucked up 9/10 this season, this is the one thing he got right.

The problem is that D&D and their writing team can't write anyone smarter than themselves, so previously intelligent characters like Tyrion, Varys and LF have all become idiots.

And Tyrion does it again. It was played like a fool from Cersei. And judging by the last scene he will probably betray Daenerys also, after she made her lose her alliances (Tyrells, Martells, Greyjoy ships) with his stupid "strategic" plans.

On 6/20/2017 at 2:04 PM, Sanrast said:

Hi, I don't come here often so I'm sorry if this topic has been brought up already. 

A lot of people say Tyrion is very smart. So I was thinking about Myrcella. Cercei was right that she didn't want her away, and Tyrion was wrong about sending her to Dorne. The Lannisers beat Baratheon army so Myrcella would be safe in King's Landing but instead Tyrion send her to Dorne and she was murdered by Martells.

Hindsight's a b@#$h isn't it?!

Too bad he didn't had a crystal ball back then.:rolleyes:

On 26.08.2017 at 5:44 AM, WolfOfWinter said:

The problem is that D&D and their writing team can't write anyone smarter than themselves, so formerly intelligent characters, like Tyrion, Varys and LF have all become idiots.

This.

I just clinged to the hope that maybe he's a Lannister at heart and is trying to sabotage Dany, but I guess not.

And the funny thing? In this season he got outplayed by his very two siblings who were supposed to be considerably dumber than him. Pity Joffrey isn't around anymore, maybe we'd get a scene of him outsmarting Tyrion too.

2 hours ago, Tianzi said:

This.

I just clinged to the hope that maybe he's a Lannister at heart and is trying to sabotage Dany, but I guess not.

And the funny thing? In this season he got outplayed by his very two siblings who were supposed to be considerably dumber than him. Pity Joffrey isn't around anymore, maybe we'd get a scene of him outsmarting Tyrion too.

I keep seeing people mention Cersei, but I'm missing where she outsmarted Tyrion. Cersei isn't really depicted as the brains behind her military operations. She brings Euron into the fold, since she has no other choice, and he performs beyond all expectations. Cersei knows very little about military strategy, and I'm doubting that she has told the experienced sea captain Euron anything useful. He single handedly took out destroyed Dany's naval power, taking out her Greyjoy and Dornish fleets.

Jaime convinced Randyll Tarly to turn against Olenna (Cersei tried, but Jaime ultimately talked him into it), so he's responsible for taking Highgarden. And he pulled that brilliant switcheroo at Casterly Rock. Cersei hasn't really done anything. She doesn't lead her troops on the battlefield or contribute much to strategy, unlike most of the other leaders we've seen: Stannis, Dany, Jon, Mance, Robert, etc. Even Tywin did that, and he wasn't much known for his combat prowess or courage.

2 minutes ago, Lorathi said:

I keep seeing people mention Cersei, but I'm missing where she outsmarted Tyrion

She managed to convince him she is their ally, making them relax and go north, while she's secretly gaining forces to backstab them?

I mean, sure, in the long run it's suicidal for her, but it could severely hurt Daenerys' side too. It's a classic Cersei move. And using her preggers to help to sell that is 'using her honest feelings for dishonest deeds' (an observation about her Tyrion made himself to Oberyn), her classic move as well. And yet Tyrion, who knows her for 40 years, gets fooled by that and is all 'hey, Queen, I brought my sister to our side, bu offering her, uh, nothing, but she is just so generous like that!'

On 20.6.2017 at 3:04 PM, Sanrast said:

A lot of people say Tyrion is very smart.

Tyrion is very well educated and intelligent. He knows to use words as weapon and he is more rational and less emotional about very many topics. Until now, Tyrion and Jaime are both men of honor, too.

Tyrions weakness is that he figures he can think everything through to its end, while in reality all kinds of greed, love, jealousy, hate come in between. But Tyrion is certainly very smart and not stupid.

Myrcella was safe in Dorne. For years. Even fell in love. The death of Oberyn turned the table and that was due to Cersei's plans. She was stupid not Tyrion.

On 8/29/2017 at 11:16 AM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Every bit of his advice this season, except letting Jon get dragon glass has worked out to harm Dany's cause and strenghten Cersei. Whether intended or not, he is nothing but a small bag of wind. A very obnoxious one at that.

Seriously, how has he not been relieved of duties as Hand? 

He has screwed up so bad at times the most logical explanation is he was protecting Lannisters. 

Advise he gave, send the ships to oick up Dorne, take Casterly Rock, capture a wight, don't insist that Danaerys search for Jaime and capture him (did he even inform her that that was Jaime who tried to kill her?)

Results: lost all their ships and the availability of the Dorne army and a major ally captured.  Lost unsullied taking Casterly Rock for no reason, Lost High Garden and a major ally. Lost a chance to capture Jaime, Lost Viserion (indirectly) But he's so smart!!!

Maybe that's what that look was all about on the ship. He knows Jon won't put up with his incompetent advise and will boot him. 

On 9/2/2017 at 7:14 AM, #teamNightking said:

Seriously, how has he not been relieved of duties as Hand? 

He has screwed up so bad at times the most logical explanation is he was protecting Lannisters. 

Advise he gave, send the ships to oick up Dorne, take Casterly Rock, capture a wight, don't insist that Danaerys search for Jaime and capture him (did he even inform her that that was Jaime who tried to kill her?)

Results: lost all their ships and the availability of the Dorne army and a major ally captured.  Lost unsullied taking Casterly Rock for no reason, Lost High Garden and a major ally. Lost a chance to capture Jaime, Lost Viserion (indirectly) But he's so smart!!!

Maybe that's what that look was all about on the ship. He knows Jon won't put up with his incompetent advise and will boot him. 

If it was not for usually poor writing by the show runners (plot holes, plot armor, illogical dicisions and luck/bad luck), one could say that the Imp was sending Dany's strategies in secret to his sibblings through some one else, Ie, a mole. How did Euron sail in night and get those sepcific hostages on a ship, sink the whole,Sand Snake- Dornish and Tyrell-Reach Army in the process? Casterly Rock nearly abandoned and keeping the Unsullied out of action most of the Season etc. The Wight Hunt was the big one and he would have left Jon Snow to die.

Now, there are rumors that he cut a deal with Cersei off-screen, after he found out that she was pregnant and he protested and blabbered about loving his family and was good to Tommen and Myrcella, IE,The Lannisiters, his family, their family, THE VILLAINS of the entire Show the NK and White Walkers only now crossing into Westeros sub wall.

He is worried about Dany having an heir, ok, so she is now loving with the former King in the North. Does he not know that she thinks she cannot have a baby? He made her break up with Daario last year in order to be free to marry in Westeros to make allies and he is upset they (Jon and Dany) are fucking? Jon is not a peasant and I am pretty sure he does not know they are related yet.  This is either Poor writing or he, Tyrion, is preparing to or has been, selling her out.

It may mean nothing but it looked like Varys and Tryion are semi-plotting behind Dany's back at this point and The Imp has no excuse. Dany burned Lannister soldiers, her enemy and the Lannisters since the beginning were raping and pillaging the Riverlands peasants as part of their war strategy. The Imp had no problem with that. Huh?

Maybe the third holy-sht moment is Tyrion being on Lannister's side all the time?

Tyrion is smart -- at least that is how he is described again and again. And he understand how people think and feel. So he acted not wisely in this season, so maybe he is on the wrong side?

3 hours ago, Kajjo said:

Tyrion is smart -- at least that is how he is described again and again. And he understand how people think and feel. So he acted not wisely in this season, so maybe he is on the wrong side?

If this turns out to be the case I'd be really happy for the show's sake. It would explain a lot of stupid. 

I really like these assessments  that I am reading. It definitely fits in with GRRM's style to have a "smart" character really be revealed to be not so. I like Tyrion. he is witty as all hell and a hoot to be around, but that doesn't make him a tactician. This should come into play in the books (assuming he is similar to the show).

I chalk this up to fan service. Same reason why Darryl can't die. It kinda sucks and really ruins the story to have everyone still treat him as if he is some sort of battle genius and political expert. Cersei is basically crazy and she is better at this than he is.

11 hours ago, MrJay said:

Cersei is basically crazy and she is better at this than he is.

Yes! Because in this brutal world crazy gets you way further than both logic and niceness. Cersei understands this. When your people fear you, when they know you just don't give a sh*t, the people obey you. At least until the people have had enough and the people finally kill you.  Haha

#fleabottomrebellion 

Rise up!

On ‎29‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 8:16 PM, A Ghost of Someone said:

Every bit of his advice this season, except letting Jon get dragon glass has worked out to harm Dany's cause and strenghten Cersei. Whether intended or not, he is nothing but a small bag of wind. A very obnoxious one at that.

yes I agree. The majority of his decisions tho season have been very bad, like the Wight Hubt. He was tight though when he told Jon he should have lied but hey, everyone told him

I also agree that it looks like a betrayal could be possible unless it's. Just bad writing.

Archived