"The Continental": the "John Wick" prequel series

AncalagonTheBlack

The show has a title and some more details are out, like Keanu making an appearance in the tv show.

Prior to the box office boom of “John Wick: Chapter 2,” the film’s director and franchise mastermind Chad Stahelski said he and screenwriting partner Derek Kolstad had plans for a TV series. Those plans are still in motion, with the project in development at Lionsgate and a new title assigned to the prequel.

IndieWire has learned that the series is being developed under the name, “The Continental,” and Lionsgate is “very excited” about the series. In a separate interview, Stahelski said the focus was expected to be the “cool, Wick-ian, magical, and mysterious world” of the titular hotel.

“They’ve got a really good structure,” Stahelski said. “It’s very tied to the film [in that] it’s about the Continentals all over the world, how certain people come into that world, and what happens in relation to those people, which is cool. I think the world is very vast, and everything I’ve heard from it is very positive. […] It’s something that studio seems very, very intent on [making] and very, very behind.”

“I think he would make an appearance,” Stahelski said. “I think that’s part of his thing, [But the series] isn’t centered around John Wick.”

Stahelski, though, remains very excited about shooting television.

“Look at ‘Battle of the Bastards,'” Stahelski said of the action-packed “Game of Thrones” episode. “As an action designer, I think that’s the best battle I’ve ever seen on TV. They did a great job, and they weren’t careless with their money. They planned it, they boarded it — you watch the behind-the-scenes, [it’s clear] the guys did everything right.”

“Granted, they’re the biggest budgeted show on TV right now, but could we do something interesting with ‘John Wick’ with what we have? Yeah. I’d like to give it a go and prove to the TV world that you can have feature action on a TV show.

2 hours ago, Mark Antony said:

That is a pretty great idea. The world building in John Wick was awesome.

The show should be centered around Lance Reddicks character. 

Kind of a very dark violent Fantasy Island show with Lance Reddick as Ricardo Montalban

I'm guessing Amazon would grab it. Probably not that special enough for HBO/Cinemax (though it fits with Cinemax's ideas for premium shows), not weird enough for Netflix, but goes with Amazon big hits well enough.

30 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

If it's about the Continental itself, then surely the potential presence of Keanu Reeves is less important than the potential presence of Ian McShane.

If it films at different times to American Gods it should be fine.

1 hour ago, Leofric said:

Kind of a very dark violent Fantasy Island show with Lance Reddick as Ricardo Montalban

I suspect Lance Reddick (and possibly Common) will be the two actors from the films we see most often. They'll probably have McShane turning up for key episodes.

Given Reeves is willing to guest star I really hope they don't recast any of the roles eg Mcshane and jusggle the story in a way it works out.

7 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

I'm guessing Amazon would grab it. Probably not that special enough for HBO/Cinemax (though it fits with Cinemax's ideas for premium shows), not weird enough for Netflix, but goes with Amazon big hits well enough.

I wonder which network has the option for screening the first film? That would probably encourage them to run with the show. If it wasn't for AMC being a bit stingy, I'd say this would go well with Into the Badlands in terms of badass action.

57 minutes ago, red snow said:

If it films at different times to American Gods it should be fine.

Possibly, but he does have other projects on the go and don't forget, he's 74 now. He isn't necessarily going to want to work all year round...

59 minutes ago, polishgenius said:

Possibly, but he does have other projects on the go and don't forget, he's 74 now. He isn't necessarily going to want to work all year round...

He's one of those actors who seems to age as if he's in Narnia when off-camera.

If they really want him in the show they could build a set near his home. Or just use a nearby hotel :P

He needs to be available for deadwood. Live in hope.

• 6 months later...

Archived