'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

Though the events of the original Watchmen comics play a significant role in the shaping of the series’ world—a place where the internet and cell phones don’t exist—they aren’t what the show is really about. Rorschach might have been a misunderstood antihero originally, but here his name and iconography have been co-opted by terror cells of white supremacists known as the Seventh Cavalry, who are coordinating a mysterious attack that’s meant to change the world as the series begins. In the show, Robert Redford has been the president for decades and ushered in an era of American liberalism complete with legislation meant to address the country’s history of anti-black racism and socio-political disenfranchisement. The pejoratively-referred to “Redford-ations” have made it so that the victims and descendants of racially-driven subjugation no longer have to pay taxes. Unsurprisingly, there are more than a few enraged white people—like the Seventh Cavalry—who hate that aspect of their society.

Huh. 

https://io9.gizmodo.com/hbos-watchmen-wants-to-dig-into-the-heart-of-american-r-1838914665

47 minutes ago, BigFatCoward said:

Reviews are distinctly meh. Hope it's not a crushing disappointment.  

They are? Feel like I've seen plenty of positive ones. Though those are generally reviewers that liked The Leftovers.

Based on what Lindelof has said in one interview, it seems that race is going to feature prominently during the season. I'm intrigued.

3 hours ago, Raja said:

I don't read reviews as a rule, as I'm one of those that likes knowing nothing about a show or a movie before going in, mostly going off twitter accounts of reviewers I follow.

Why do you follow reviewer accounts if you don't read reviews?

All the reviews I've seen say it is good.  A lot of them focus on how its different from the first 'books' etc., discussing the updating of the political and other crises from where / when the alternate universe kicked in with the figures that people know from the books.

I don't pay any attention to that stuff.  If I needed to know all that then I don't need to watch the Watchers. do I?  :read:  The differences though, including the racial horrors, makes this iteration a whole lot more interesting for me than the previous, such as this means I'll start watching this where I wouldn't if it were the previous milieu.

Gotta say I'm pretty encouraged by the reviews.  I think Lindelof has identified the conflict that is akin to the Cold War in the mid 1980s - the conflict that will define that next generations.  And I'd like to see his thoughts on that through such a prism.  So, yeah, definitely gonna watch tomorrow/tonight.  Was on the fence before.

Archived