'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

Very intriguing premiere, and King is as good as advertised.  While it became obvious pretty early, didn't know we'd only get Don Johnson for one episode, kinda sucks.  Coulda done without naked Jeremy Irons, that will haunt my dreams.  Also, have to ask since they're hitting the viewer over the head with the black v. white thing - uh, what happened to all the hispanics?  As a social scientist, loved how "the pod" was essentially an IAT.

Just now, Fragile Bird said:

What's with the squid?

I'm wondering the same thing as I never read the comic, only saw the movie where they changed the ending. I know in the comic Veidt (Jeremy Irons) fakes an alien/interdemensional squid attack on new york to end the cold war. But I have no idea why they would still be raining down all this time later. Plus the first instance killed like 3 million people but these ones seem to just be a nuisance. 

3 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What's with the squid?

I understand I have to wiki that.  Never read the comics, did see the Snyder movie.  It's apparently what happened at the end of the comic with Ozy, whereas the movie had him just drop a nuke.  I agree with the movie's decision.

1 minute ago, RumHam said:

But I have no idea why they would still be raining down all this time later. Plus the first instance killed like 3 million people but these ones seem to just be a nuisance. 

Yep, this is why I'm headed to the wiki.  Also, why/how did the giant squid kill all those people in the first place?  Really strange.

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

I understand I have to wiki that.  Never read the comics, did see the Snyder movie.  It's apparently what happened at the end of the comic with Ozy, whereas the movie had him just drop a nuke.  I agree with the movie's decision.

Yep, this is why I'm headed to the wiki.  Also, why/how did the giant squid kill all those people in the first place?  Really strange.

I imagine a lot of people will hit up that wikipedia page in the next few hours. Also https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tulsa_race_riot 

I am watching because the reviewer for the Globe and Mail in Toronto was just blown away by the episodes he saw. Reviewers were given the first 6 episodes to watch. He calls it ‘not only good, not only great, it is absolutely necessary’.

It takes place after the events of The Watchmen’s comic/movie, and President Robert Redford, now in his 32nd year of office, has been making reparations to black people for the sins of slavery. This is the reason for the white backlash.

I guess with reparations there’s a big black middle class in this world, and many more poor white people. I assume the wealthier black people adopt poor white kids, the way many white people have adopted poor black kids in our reality. And the statement from the Regina character, about everything being about black and white, we won’t see Hispanic story lines much.

The reviewer also said the 9 episodes were supposed to be a stand-alone series, but I assume that if it’s a hit that idea will go out the window.

20 minutes ago, DMC said:

Short answer: it was a psychic squid. When it was teleported in, it sent out a psychic wave that killed a bunch of people.

Yes, welcome to Watchmen.

So, I, uh definitely was not expecting that. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but it was not that.

Was there anything in the show that stated that Irons is Ozymandias? They went to a lot of pains to not say his name. 

There was a newspaper headline that stated "Veidt Officially Pronounced Dead" or some such thing, so if he is Ozymandias, then he is in hiding for some reason I guess?

That was an interesting start. Regina King was great. I'd like to say everyone was great but she gets a majority of the screentime aside from Miami Vice and we all know how he ended up. But I'm intrigued to see where this goes and what the deal is with some of the WTFuckery going on in it.

EDIT: While writing this, I checked IMDB and he is indeed listed as playing Adrien Veidt so okay then.

That was ginchy. 

Irons is definitely Ozymandias.

Highly speculative, but I caught the vibe that his faked death slash withdrawal from society had something to do with his two Servants. The show definitely seems to be taking off the comic [which is good] so I suspect the nascent squid rain is some kind of residual from whatever teleportation/interdimensional tampering he and Manhattan did years before.

I'm also highly suspicious of the Servants humanity, and look forward to the roles Veidt's written for them. 

Pretty good start. :)  

That was awesome as hell. I had somewhat low expectations given lindelof, but that was far far better than what I thought the previews were about. What a well done realized alt future. 

16 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

That was awesome as hell. I had somewhat low expectations given lindelof, but that was far far better than what I thought the previews were about. What a well done realized alt future. 

People act like all he’s done is Lost. The Leftovers is one of the best shows in recent years, if not ever. 

5 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I hated the fuck out of that too. 

Not sure how much you watched! I know the first season put a lot of people off, but it is indeed one of the best tv shows in the last two decades. I can understand people shying away after the first season though. But S2 & S3 are home runs.

Edit: To me, Lindelof has brought a lot of credit aafter The Leftovers, especially season 2.

8 hours ago, DMC said:

Also, here's a primer for everyone who has *not* read the comics! I'm surprised tbh, based on this forum, there are more of you than I realized.

I would certainly read it as there are already a bunch of nods to the comics.

As an aside, I'm really looking forward to reading some of the reviews of this work, especially from people of colour. I started from this one, which was insightful & gave a little context about Tulsa ( which helps someone like me who isn't an American)

11 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

I'm also highly suspicious of the Servants humanity, and look forward to the roles Veidt's written for them. 

Pretty good start. :)  

The reviewer for the Globe said

Spoiler

His servants all look suspiciously alike.

eta As in, we will see more servants.

Spoilers are allowed in this thread, yes? ( I only mean of the episodes that have aired)

Casting spoilers ahead - I would barely consider this a spoiler, but the mad men fan in me can't resist

Omg you guys, BOB BENSON is in this show

Very intriguing first episode. I’m excited to see where it goes as the preview for the rest of the season makes it look wild. Irons as Veidt is gonna be an absolute blast to watch the whole time. Those weird servants too, and wheelchair guy seemingly knowing the Chief would be killed? 

I have to reread the comic too as it’s been many years. 

2 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

The reviewer for the Globe said

Hide contents

His servants all look suspiciously alike.

Myself, calling back to Sister Night's class presentation [et the dissolving squidlings] I'm going for cohesively cellular, interdimensional constructs and/or our world interpretations of [proverbial] Them, but it's very difficult to predict where the show is going. At least at this point, which is another thing I really like.

edited for belting that one out way too fast

Archived