'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

9 hours ago, Raja said:

Ahh - hooded justice. I have a soft spot for that man and it was nice to see his little cameo.

I think it's more than a cameo. I think of the original Minutemen they're focusing on him for now because they're gonna reveal he is Angela's grandfather.  

10 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I watched the film, found it rather humorous. I was taken aback by the tomato Veidt plucks from the tree during his horse ride. Just where exactly is he?

oooh - I didn't even think of that. That might be quite interesting.

Ya -- tomatoes on oak trees and bitty squiddies fallin' from the sky -- totes weird.

My favorite bit from last night was long-time-ago, amigo Bob Wisdom playing the news vendor.  I had no idea he'd a bit in the show, until I saw him. Nobody's got a smile like he's got.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

My favorite bit from last night was long-time-ago, amigo Bob Wisdom playing the news vendor.  I had no idea he'd a bit in the show, until I saw him. Nobody's got a smile like he's got.

Plus Jim Beaver, and Bob Benson from Mad Men. Quite the cast so far. 

Edit: I see on IMDB they have someone playing Mothman, but no Dr. Manhattan or Night-Owl. Even though I'm pretty sure they're both appearing. (There are scenes in the trailer where it looks like Laurie is telling a "joke" to someone in captivity which I think is probably Dan.) It'd be great if Theroux is playing Manhattan and they've just kept it a secret. 

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

What did folks think of the KKK outfit? I was expecting a mask, so that took me by surprise. Does that come up in the comic book?

I think his dad whose picture is in that closet was probably involved in the black wall street massacre and that may have been his robe. Sorta a family heirloom that had to be hidden. Maybe Judd was raised in a racist environment but eventually mostly grew out of it? He seemed to have genuine affection for Angela, I thought. 

@RumHam  Thank you for the heads up to the HBO supplementary Watchmen materials.  I am getting a particularly kick out of the digs that just keep a'comin' about history, historians and from historians and others, like this one:

The record contains an essay written by Seymour David. If you know the lore behind “Rorschach’s Journal,”
then you know that David was the one who discovered it while working as an editorial assistant at New
Frontiersman in the eighties. He exploited the small fame he gained from making this lucky find to launch
a career as a scholar of post-modern culture and his work often overlaps with mine. I’ve met the man at
many conferences, and let me tell you, he’s an embarrassment to our oft-maligned field of study, a selfimportant know-it-all who doesn’t know when to shut up. I am reluctant to use my CV as an offensive weapon, but I have a doctorate in History and this man knows nothing of it.

The bolded could be moi and so many others I know!  :laugh: :rolleyes: :cheers:

A theory I read on Screenrant is that Crawford might actually be Dan Drieberg... He has his own Archie, he had a copy of "under the hood" on his desk, an Owl coffee mug,  and --if the KKK thing is legit-- he was Rorshack's partner, and he mentioned in the movie that it was either Nixon or the commies, which suggests a right-leaning philosophy... and this might be why Lori Blake shows up... 

2 hours ago, Martini Sigil said:

A theory I read on Screenrant is that Crawford might actually be Dan Drieberg... He has his own Archie, he had a copy of "under the hood" on his desk, an Owl coffee mug,  and --if the KKK thing is legit-- he was Rorshack's partner, and he mentioned in the movie that it was either Nixon or the commies, which suggests a right-leaning philosophy... and this might be why Lori Blake shows up... 

Per the supplementary material, Dan Dreiberg is locked up and has been since 1995 for not obeying the Keene act. 

16 hours ago, Raja said:

As an aside - what did those of you who haven't read the comics make of the Jeremy Irons & Dr. Manhattan 'play'? I'm honestly curious about how the show works for people who haven't read the comics or watched the movie.

I thought the whole play scene was hilarious, but I've always really liked Jeremy Irons (clothed!).  I have seen the movie but haven't read the comics.

7 hours ago, RumHam said:

I think of the original Minutemen they're focusing on him for now because they're gonna reveal he is Angela's grandfather.  

This seems to be the obvious assumption to make.  Then again, this is Lindelof, so the obvious assumption should actually NOT be the obvious assumption.  K I'll stop before I make my head hurt.

Yeah, I think Will being the Hooded Justice and painting his eyes white (in the same way Sister Night paints them black) is going to happen. He watched the movie early on, had a feeling that justice needed to be hooded because a black man could never do that sort of thing, had a deep vibe of needing to do that, etc.

It makes sense, and I hope that is where they're going. It nicely ties in with how the sins of our fathers make us and carry forward, it is reasonably hinted at, and it's a nice twist on the original Watchmen. 

3 hours ago, Kalbear said:

Per the supplementary material, Dan Dreiberg is locked up and has been since 1995 for not obeying the Keene act. 

supplementary material?.... where can i find this? .... why did i not know about this? .... what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? 

26 minutes ago, Martini Sigil said:

supplementary material?.... where can i find this? .... why did i not know about this? .... what is the air speed velocity of an unladen swallow? 

https://www.hbo.com/peteypedia

They seem to be updating it after each episode. fun fact: Judd Crawford served in Vietnam under Robert Mueller. 

What a weird episode. I was thinking maybe Dr. Manhattan has Veidt in some kind of prison or something, but I’m probably just overthinking his obsessive madness. 

They also mentioned Dr. M not being able to mimic human form more than once this episode. Interesting.

My crackpot: Veidt has determined that the problem with humans is that they largely suck. He is attempting to replace humans with something more tractable and reasonable and less prone to the excesses of bigotry and violence. He doesn't have robots - he has an army of clones. 

They are still quite disappointing, but he's working on it. 

I am hoping that while not everything gets wrapped up, because it's based on Watchmen - which resolved pretty much everything it revealed - Lindelof will not be prone to his mysterious mystery of bullshit that he tends to do. 

So when that magnet picked up Will Reeves, I assumed it was the owl ship. Like from the terrible sex scene in the movie. But I've seen a few reviews call it a UFO and while that is technically correct....come on. Night Owl III. 

Only half way through episode 2 as had WiFi outage but I'm intrigued by the show so far. I absolutely love the costume design for regina king's character and "glass". It's also an interesting spin having costumed police (top10 sort of did this but they had powers).

I also appreciate it shining a light on the tulsa massacre. I have to admit having to look it up as i wasn't sure it was fictional history for the show but the wiki entry got me up to speed and I'm pleased the show is making it an important part of the plot as it fits really well with the story and is an event (at least international) audiences need to know about. It's always scary when events seem so far fetched (aerial attacks from planes!)and nasty they seem like fiction.

I also like the tv show about the original minutemen. So far lindelof is following through on his claim this is a remix as it's not a remake but maintains a lot of the spirit of the comic without being derivative

10 hours ago, Kalbear said:

I am hoping that while not everything gets wrapped up, because it's based on Watchmen - which resolved pretty much everything it revealed - Lindelof will not be prone to his mysterious mystery of bullshit that he tends to do.  

Based on the leftovers & lost, I wouldn't expect everything to be wrapped up in a nice little bow. I would imagine the show will care more about it's characters & their arcs through the season as opposed to tying all it's loose ends. The Leftovers had a very nice balance in terms of pay off & leaving some things up to the viewer, I'm hoping watchmen will follow a similar trajectory.

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Only half way through episode 2 as had WiFi outage but I'm intrigued by the show so far. I absolutely love the costume design for regina king's character and "glass". It's also an interesting spin having costumed police (top10 sort of did this but they had powers).

Same, they're fantastic. The former feels like managing to make a video game look actually look as fantastic irl as in the game without actually being that.

Archived