'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

Same, they're fantastic. The former feels like managing to make a video game look actually look as fantastic irl as in the game without actually being that.

It's not often i think of awards for cosrune department but the "nun" outfit is iconic. Like you say the cloak works in action too do great design unless it's post production.

I suspect it will be a popular outfit next Halloween.

14 hours ago, Kalbear said:

My crackpot: Veidt has determined that the problem with humans is that they largely suck. He is attempting to replace humans with something more tractable and reasonable and less prone to the excesses of bigotry and violence. He doesn't have robots - he has an army of clones. 

They are still quite disappointing, but he's working on it. 

I am hoping that while not everything gets wrapped up, because it's based on Watchmen - which resolved pretty much everything it revealed - Lindelof will not be prone to his mysterious mystery of bullshit that he tends to do. 

I can't speak to Lindelof directly. I tried The Leftovers but it didn't stick. 

---

I'm starting to fall into the camp of Irons perhaps being Manhattan instead of Veidt. It would play to the misdirect [Dr Manhattan can't look human] and there was that particular look of, I'm not 100 on what the expression was, that Irons had at the point of the performance when the players were discussing... was it Manhattan's boredom or the monotony of essential godhood or something? I might need a rewatch.    

A question.

The squid falls originate in another dimension.

So does Lovecrafts supreme horror Cthulu, iic.

Description. In "The Call of Cthulhu", H. P. Lovecraft describes a statue of Cthulhu as "A monster of vaguely anthropoid outline, but with an octopus-like head whose face was a mass of feelers, a scaly, rubbery-looking body, prodigious claws on hind and fore feet, and long, narrow wings behind."

Description. Squid are cephalopods in the superorder Decapodiformes with elongated bodies, large eyes, eight arms and two tentacles. Like all other cephalopods, squid have a distinct head, bilateral symmetry, and a mantle. ... 

So was the squid fall in the 'book' a shout-out to the metaphotical, ultimate horror of Cthulu? which, when the HBO Watchmen opens we see true horror, the Tulsa massacre, that nothing we imagine is as much a horror as what humans do?

Of course, the reek from the bitty squiddies falls must truly be a horror.

36 minutes ago, Zorral said:

A question.

The squid falls originate in another dimension.

So does Lovecrafts supreme horror Cthulu, iic.

So was the squid fall in the 'book' a shout-out to the metaphotical, ultimate horror of Cthulu? which, when the HBO Watchmen opens we see true horror, the Tulsa massacre, that nothing we imagine is as much a horror as what humans do?

Of course, the reek from the bitty squiddies falls must truly be a horror.

Well, in the book it wasn't a real entity per se. The Squid was engineered by Veidt and then teleported. It caused a lot of damag[E] to effect a [temporary?] unification of the human world against the perceived threat of an alien interdimensional invasion. Seeing as how Veidt's teleportation technology wasn't precise, perhaps Linedlof has imaginatively extrapolated that to the creation of the squid rain-- a kind of random, teleportational/quantum type bifurcation branching off the initial event... or something. 

edited for clarity    

17 minutes ago, JEORDHl said:

Well, in the book it wasn't a real entity per se. The Squid was engineered by Veidt and then teleported. It caused a lot of damag to effect a [temporary?] unification of the human world against the perceived threat of an alien interdimensional invasion. Seeing as how Veidt's teleportation technology wasn't precise, perhaps Linedlof has imaginatively extrapolated that to the creation of the squid rain-- a kind of random, teleportational/quantum type bifurcation branching off the initial event... or something. 

edited for clarity    

So could this be a shout-out to the Cthulu horror / horror of humanity for whatever metaphor, symbol, fun, etc. on the part of the creatives?  :cheers:

Ya, I had a period of sleeplessness and this is what spitzles in what passes as a brain at such times.

8 minutes ago, Raja said:

Out of curiosity, how far into it did you get?

Not far. Couple episodes maybe? I know that's not good stickiness on my part, but my attention invariably revolves around some kind of hook, even if it's just style over substance, ie: Refn's Too Old to Die Young. 

2 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Not far. Couple episodes maybe? I know that's not good stickiness on my part, but my attention invariably revolves around some kind of hook, even if it's just style over substance, ie: Refn's Too Old to Die Young. 

I quit on it after the first season, but am constantly told to rewatch it because apparently seasons two and three are way better.

32 minutes ago, briantw said:

I quit on it after the first season, but am constantly told to rewatch it because apparently seasons two and three are way better.

I'm much more of a fan of Lindelof than what seems to be most here, but yeah I still haven't gotten around to Leftovers yet.  It's funny actually, I remember during the first season I was at a conference and turned on HBO late at night at the hotel.  The guide wasn't working so I had no idea what the fuck I was watching.  But I watched most of the episode and was like "damn that was weird."  Didn't figure out until I got home it was an episode of Leftovers.

3 hours ago, JEORDHl said:

Yeah, I don't blame you tbh. The first season put a lot of people off, and in the era of 'peak tv' I can understand people not sticking with it. That being said, S2 is *easily* one of the best seasons of TV I've seen in a very long time ( S3 is excellent too).

I'd certainly give it a try if you've got some time! The season isn't particularly long, I think.

I wasn't a big fan of season 2 either, from what I watched. It was a lot of navelgazing and weirdness, and the first 10 minutes being devoted to a cavewoman giving birth after an earthquake hit did not wow me. 

I've enjoyed the first two eps well enough (though wouldn't say it's anything amazing just yet). Curious to see where it goes. 

I did like Abar's call in episode 2:

You and me, Topher, we don't do lollipops and rainbows, because we know those are pretty colors that just hide what the world really is. Black and white.

Which is interesting - that was rorschach's deal too. She's also doing the investigation and the reveal of Judd's past like rorschach does the comedian. 

Makes me wonder if she's going to be the one who doesnt compromise after finding out whatever will is up to. 

4 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Which is interesting - that was rorschach's deal too. She's also doing the investigation and the reveal of Judd's past like rorschach does the comedian. 

Maybe Sister Night is being set-up as the successor anti-hero to Rorschach? She certainly went to town on that Nixonville attacker after previously describing the raid as "unnecessary."

13 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Makes me wonder if she's going to be the one who doesnt compromise after finding out whatever will is up to. 

I think she's already demonstrated much more self-doubt than Rorschach ever exhibited.  There's some correlation between the characters, granted, but I really don't view Angela going down that path.  And I certainly hope not.  But again, I haven't read the comics, so I'm just a newb.

1 hour ago, Paxter said:

Maybe Sister Night is being set-up as the successor anti-hero to Rorschach? She certainly went to town on that Nixonville attacker after previously describing the raid as "unnecessary."

Dude kind of had it coming considering he decided to attack the only two cops who weren't participating in the raid.  At any rate, I viewed that more as her just venting her anger at Judd's death at the first person who decided to fuck with her.

Archived