'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

It's not knowing the stuff that is starting to bug me, is that it is becoming just more stuff on top of more stuff to no real end point.  When I see this starting on any show, I bail on it.  It's just soap opera of another sort than what is often meant by soap opera.  It just goes and goes and goes and never gets anywhere, no matter how many characters die! :laugh:

For what its worth Lindelof claims it's not that kinda show. 

DEADLINE: In that, if renewal was a given, how many seasons is your Watchmen?

LINDELOF: I’m not being flippant when I say that the answer is one.

Does that mean that there isn’t going to be anymore Watchmen? Not necessarily. Does that mean that I will be working on subsequent seasons of Watchmen? I don’t know is the answer to that question. We designed these nine episodes to be as self-contained as the original 12 issues. We wanted to feel like there was a sense of completeness, to resolve the essential mystery at hand. Obviously, there is a potential promise for the further exploration of the world but like the seasons of Leftovers that I did as opposed to Lost, which was designed to have cliffhanger finales and a promise of future storytelling.

https://deadline.com/2019/10/watchmen-premiere-comic-con-damon-lindelof-inteview-regina-king-the-hunt-controversy-1202752460/

"Not only do we know where all of it's going, but I think, again, one of the things that was on that list that I was telling you about, of adjectives [I wanted to describe the show], was 'self-contained,'" Lindelof says, describing how he felt the original Watchmen comics definitively answered most of the mysteries and questions it presented, while still leaving some things ambiguous, like what Laurie would do next, and what would happen with Rorschach's journal.

"There's this sort of degree of ambiguity in terms of the way that it ends, and yet it also simultaneously feels immensely satisfying," he continues. "All this by way of saying is, every question that you just asked--where is Adrian Veidt, what's his relationship with the Game Warden, what's up with the cakes, where is he and what's he doing, where do all these clones, what have you, these beings, where do they come from, why is he obsessed with Doctor Manhattan--all of those things are answered very, very definitively."

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/hbos-watchmen-ozymandias-theory-gets-apparent-conf/1100-6471322/

37 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Now I have Iris DeMent's Let the Mystery Be playing in my head.

Max Richter also did a helluva job too with the score. I know the original title sequence got shit on for being dour but I love the music. November is amazing and always so well deployed on the show. 

I didn't like the changing themesong thing in the third season. Apart from the perfect strangers one. And not cause I didn't like the other songs (Wu Tang Band aint nothing to fuck with.)\

Anyway, wikipeida says the penultimate episode of Watchmen is called

"A God Walks into a Bar" If they named her Angela Abar just for that joke there are not enough eyerolls in the world. 

10 hours ago, RumHam said:

Edit: also, the clones he's flinging into the air would just burn up in the earth's atmosphere. He needs some kinda vehicle or pod to survive that. 

Also, I don't think a catapult would be sufficient to reach escape velocity. Seems more likely he's testing the boundary of his prison?

9 hours ago, Kalbear said:

It was strongly hinted it was in the past when it flashed over the property and it went from grassland to development. Someone also said they started the millennium clock 4 years ago. 

I think that's a transition to a different location, not over time. It's unlikely that the "meteor" wasn't Veidt-related, and four years ago is too long to match up with what we've seen of Veidt so far.

Is Lady Trieu Laurie's half-sister? She's close enough to the right age, and it's quite plausible Jon could have saved her after failing to save her mother. She'd have to take very much after her mother, though.

1 minute ago, felice said:

Also, I don't think a catapult would be sufficient to reach escape velocity. Seems more likely he's testing the boundary of his prison?

Right, this plus the two examples of cloned babies in the episode strongly suggest Manhattan has nothing to do with his imprisonment. 

49 minutes ago, briantw said:

Also, Petey is totally Lube Man, right?

So your theory is that Agent Petey abandoned his post coital lone ranger mask and then adopted the identity of Lube Man shortly thereafter? 

This show is really sinking its teeth into me now. Each episode I'm becoming more drawn in and it looks like lindelof has learned from "lost" regarding playing mystery with no answers. So far the mysteries are intriguing and seem like they have answers that will be revealed when the story requires.

The scene fishing for clone babies was one of the weirdest things I've seen this year. It reminds me a lot of noah Hawley's "legion" but without the style ever overwhelming the drama/story.

Looking forward to doing a binge rewatch when finished.

The superhero genre is looking particularly healthy on TV with this, the boys and Doom patrol all taking the genre in different "mature" directions.

Still struggling with this a little. My only knowledge of the characters and this world was from the movie.

I am sure after a couple more episodes I'll be like, ahh now I get it, tick tock, tick tock...

I do like the guys prison. Seemed a lot like ground hog day at first, like he was having to repeat the same play, cake, song each day as a punishment but now it seems more like his choosing.

57 minutes ago, dbunting said:

Still struggling with this a little. My only knowledge of the characters and this world was from the movie.

I am sure after a couple more episodes I'll be like, ahh now I get it, tick tock, tick tock...

I do like the guys prison. Seemed a lot like ground hog day at first, like he was having to repeat the same play, cake, song each day as a punishment but now it seems more like his choosing.

I think you're overestimating how much there is to know.  Don't forget the original comic was just 12 issues and done.

1 hour ago, dbunting said:

The movie covered a great deal of what you need to know.  Aside from the ending, which ditched the giant alien squid in favor of Dr. Manhattan.

4 hours ago, briantw said:

The movie covered a great deal of what you need to know.  Aside from the ending, which ditched the giant alien squid in favor of Dr. Manhattan.

Yeah, and that added to the questions, WTF is up with the squid, but apparently they were in the comics too.

The squid rains in the show are a big mystery, the one from the comic was a massive fake out, it was genetically engineered to create the illusion of alien contact. There was no dimensional rift through which babies could fall. It could possibly be something designed to maintain the illusion of the original squid attack.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:47 PM, felice said:

Depends on the location and nature of the prison, normal gravity might only apply in close proximity to the ground - I didn't notice the clones following a ballistic trajectory in the time it took them to disappear - looked pretty linear?

9 hours ago, briantw said:

Which was one of the better ideas in the film.

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

The squid rains in the show are a big mystery, the one from the comic was a massive fake out, it was genetically engineered to create the illusion of alien contact. There was no dimensional rift through which babies could fall. It could possibly be something designed to maintain the illusion of the original squid attack.

The fact the cavalry seem to think the squid attack was a false flag is probably important too as it means they are correct about that even if their other ideas are wrong

1 hour ago, red snow said:

Which was one of the better ideas in the film.

The fact the cavalry seem to think the squid attack was a false flag is probably important too as it means they are correct about that even if their other ideas are wrong

The cavalry thinks the squid attack is fake because Rorschach sent his journal to a far right publication before heading to Veidt’s base. So the truth made it out there through a lunatic fringe paper.

I don’t think the film ending works at all, Manhattan was a US asset, even if he went rogue and attacked America too, the Soviets would still blame them . An attack from an outside source that no had any stake in make’s way more sense.

Archived