'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

I don’t think the film ending works at all, Manhattan was a US asset, even if he went rogue and attacked America too, the Soviets would still blame them . An attack from an outside source that no had any stake in make’s way more sense.

Yeah agreed. I think what bothers people is: did the outside source really need to be a giant psychic squid that explodes on teleported arrival to NYC?

2 hours ago, Morpheus said:

An attack from an outside source that no had any stake in make’s way more sense.

I get your point, but it seems very odd to argue an inter-dimensional giant squid monster is more sensical than a nuclear attack.

It is not that a squid is more sensical, more important than the actual  attack is where it came from. A nuclear attack by Manhattan would still fall on the shoulders of the U.S, it would not exactly foster cooperation between the Soviets and America and put an end to the cold war (and impending nuclear hot war), which was Veidt ‘s purpose. America fucking up and failing to control a weapon which they lorded over their enemies is less likely to lead to diplomacy than an attack from somewhere bearing no allegiance to either side.

That it is  a big squid monster works on the meta level of playing with the idea of a massive, ludicrous supervillain plan that the heroes just happen to fail to prevent on this instance.

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

I get your point, but it seems very odd to argue an inter-dimensional giant squid monster is more sensical than a nuclear attack.

As others said.

Bear in mind, as well, that Watchmen came out in 1986.  In 1985, President Reagan said the following about a month after his first summit with Gorbachev:

I couldn't help but — one point in our discussions privately with General Secretary Gorbachev — when you stop to think that we're all God's children, wherever we may live in the world, I couldn't help but say to him, just think how easy his task and mine might be in these meetings that we held if suddenly there was a threat to this world from some other species, from another planet, outside in the universe. We'd forget all the little local differences that we have between our countries, and we would find out once and for all that we really are all human beings here on this Earth together. Well, I don't suppose we can wait for some alien race to come down and threaten us, but I think that between us we can bring about that realization."

Moore took Reagan publicly and privately stating stuff like this and said, "Ah-ha."

Here's a later speech to the UN where Reagan came back to the point, BTW:

8 minutes ago, Morpheus said:

It is not that a squid is more sensical, more important than the actual  attack is where it came from.

Like I said, I get the point, just think the comparison is funny.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

I think the way we are dealing with climate change shows that some universal threat is unlikely to generate world peace. Good thing about the show is that it seems the world is still pretty messed up.

I dunno. I feel we would be better at combating a giant psychic squid than the coal lobbyists. 

ETA: Props for the 80s politico knowledge @Ran

29 minutes ago, Triskele said:

So not Mars but a Jupiter moon?

ETA:  The internet says yes a moon but one of Mars' not Jupiter.  Not sure why I thought I saw Jupiter.  

I just thought it was, ya know, the regular moon.  But I'm a simple man.

44 minutes ago, Triskele said:

So not Mars but a Jupiter moon?

ETA:  The internet says yes a moon but one of Mars' not Jupiter.  Not sure why I thought I saw Jupiter.  

I'm pretty sure that was Jupiter it was orbiting. 

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, which is very very possible right now, but wasn't the satellite right there?  Which would mean there's a satellite around either one of Mars' moons or any of Jupiter's?  That's certainly possible, but wouldn't we do that with the closest moon first?  I dunno, conceptually I think it's silly to be like, oh we're gonna put this guy this sooo much further away cuz.....

Ahh, that episode was excellent. I haven't seen Nelson in a lot of stuff, but he does was so good in this episode.

It takes you back to the best episodes of both The Leftovers & Lost that focus on a specific character ( people hate on both those shows a lot, but they've given us some excellent stand alone episodes, especially Lost ( the constant being one of them) & the leftovers - incidentally, the other writer on this week's episode was also a writer on the leftovers.

For me, that was probably the strongest episode of the series so far - also, I quite liked the different covers of careless whisper.

Just noticed all the cars are electric in the show. The attention to detail in this show is something else.

Another strong episode and like how veidt's story is another remix of the castaway from the comic. His "raft" being built from dead bodies too.

Looking forward to seeing how the nostalgia memories play out.

I don't know why people would say that was Mars.  I'm pretty sure Jupiter would only look a tiny amount larger from there than from Earth.  Everything pointed, to me, to it being Europa.  All the ice and Jupiter's position seemed to indicate that.  They likely are/would be satellites there as well, since it is one of the few places in the solar system that we figure has liquid water (below the surface).

6 hours ago, Raja said:

I have a feeling next week's episode is going to be akin to International Assassin from the Leftovers.

Hopefully the same music or at least as inspired a choice.

I'm pretty sure Weidt was on a moon of Jupiter although given the prevalence of the teleporting door in the episode I'm wondering whether his prison is somewhere else still and that the only gate out of his prison is the one to the moon.

Also wondering whether the "meteor" we saw in the previous episode (the one that had a superman/kent farm vibe) is Veidt returning from his exile.

5 hours ago, .H. said:

I don't know why people would say that was Mars.  I'm pretty sure Jupiter would only look a tiny amount larger from there than from Earth.  Everything pointed, to me, to it being Europa.  All the ice and Jupiter's position seemed to indicate that.  They likely are/would be satellites there as well, since it is one of the few places in the solar system that we figure has liquid water (below the surface).

It was definitely Europa.  I recognized it from the texture of the ice.  Except that texture are features on the scale of 1 to 10 km wide grooves, but they made it centimeters.  I was simultaneously annoyed and amused.  I mean, the grooves are the right signal for indicating Europa, but they could have just zoomed out to see it at the correct scale if they wanted to be accurate.

Archived