'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

According to this

ttps://www.thedailybeast.com/hbos-watchmen-pisses-off-comics-fanboys-its-woke-propaganda

the altright fanboyz are 'bombing' the review sites because they're outraged their book white supremacist hero is portrayed as a television white supremacist, something that has been performed by them before.

....These people have called episode one of the series, which premiered last Sunday, “nothing more than divisive propaganda,” “a near utopia of today’s woke left,” and “statist propaganda” as “Watchmen goes SJW [social justice warrior].” Reads one iMDB review: “They took everything that was good about Watchmen and Rorschach, then defectated [sic] all over it Last Jedi style. This isn’t Watchmen, it’s Wokemen, sorry, Wokepersons.”

The series’ treatment of Rorschach is a particularly triggering catalyst in this campaign. The events of creator Damon Lindelof’s series take place in the modern day, decades after the graphic novel concludes. In this present day alt-history, the character of Rorschach, who dies near the end of the comic, has become a symbol of white supremacy, with racist, anti-police vigilantes sporting versions of his ink-blot mask to conceal their faces. 

This upset a legion of the comic’s fans who view Rorschach as a hero, not a fetish object of the alt-right. This is despite the fact that, in the source material, Rorschach is “outwardly (ch

This upset a legion of the comic’s fans who view Rorschach as a hero, not a fetish object of the alt-right. This is despite the fact that, in the source material, Rorschach is “outwardly (checks list) racist, homophobic, sexist, and a total and complete fascist,” as Princess Weekes points out in The Mary Sue, reminding us that Moore wrote him to “make fun of The Question, Mr. A, and a bunch of other Steve Ditko comic characters that the artist/writer used to promote his Ayn Randian ideals.”

That Rorschach would be lionized by some fans of the comics even disturbed Moore, who has explicitly stated that he didn’t intend for him to be considered a hero....

12 minutes ago, Zorral said:

According to this

ttps://www.thedailybeast.com/hbos-watchmen-pisses-off-comics-fanboys-its-woke-propaganda

the altright fanboyz are 'bombing' the review sites because they're outraged their book white supremacist hero is portrayed as a television white supremacist, something that has been performed by them before.

Right. I guess I should have been more clear but this is why I said people are the worst. 

Thought that first episode was pretty good. Leftovers is one of my favourite shows so I'm prepared to give this show a chance. It's hard not to compare it to The Boys, which did a much better job of hooking me in, the plot is pretty slow, quite consistent with the Leftovers, but there is enough interesting elements in there that I can see the potential. 

Of course Vox and TheDailyBeast have a very particular perspective on the world, but most of the 'outrage' I've seen around the show has been from fans who didn't appreciate the heavy handedness of the shows political messaging, and its seeming agenda, and that isn't the 'alt right' complaining. The writers made it very clear they wanted to update the show for the 'Trump and May' generation, seemingly that means inserting white supremacists into the show.

So far there is quite a focus on that element and less on superheroes, but we'll have to see how the rest of the season pans out. I'm really interested in the hints they have left around the other Watchmen, was that the Night Owl plane? 

Just now, Triskele said:

Yeah, when people are like "best graphic novel ever" there's a "but that ending" retort.  

This is one place where it seems the film deviated and for the better.  

It could have been written by Stephen King.

4 hours ago, Triskele said:

Yeah, when people are like "best graphic novel ever" there's a "but that ending" retort.  

This is one place where it seems the film deviated and for the better.  

ETA:  I think the whole Ozy idea of pulling off something like that to avert nuclear armagedon (sp) is a good idea; just that particular method too weird an idea.  

Yeah, the movie essentially had the same ending, it just made a lot more sense to make the scapegoat Dr. Manhattan than a random alien squid.

17 minutes ago, briantw said:

Yeah, the movie essentially had the same ending, it just made a lot more sense to make the scapegoat Dr. Manhattan than a random alien squid.

Isn't the idea that it must be an outside threat like an alien because Dr Manhattan is too much of a representative of the US to ever unite the world?

51 minutes ago, Triskele said:

I wouldn't think so given that the attack he was blamed for was on the US too.  

Yeah, but he would still be an US asset  gone rogue which would open up the possibility of the US getting some of the blame. With an entirely alien threat that is not a problem.

2 hours ago, GallowKnight said:

Yeah, but he would still be an US asset  gone rogue which would open up the possibility of the US getting some of the blame. With an entirely alien threat that is not a problem.

Also there's no chance of the squid saying "That wasn't me; what possible reason could I have for such a senseless act? Now, who would have the resources to frame me like that?" And for the TV series, having millions of tiny Manhattan foetuses falling out of the sky would be extremely creepy.

3 minutes ago, felice said:

Also there's no chance of the squid saying "That wasn't me; what possible reason could I have for such a senseless act? Now, who would have the resources to frame me like that?" And for the TV series, having millions of tiny Manhattan foetuses falling out of the sky would be extremely creepy.

Come on now this is HBO. It would have just been little blue dongs. 

Ahh - hooded justice. I have a soft spot for that man and it was nice to see his little cameo. I'm really glad I re-read the comic this week.

As much as I am a fan of Lindelof, I think the writing could be a *little* more subtle ( Angela's husband saying 'just like you' seemed was a step too far, his look told us *exactly* who he was talking about, you don't need that line!)

Also, no surprise that the pamphlet dropped by the Germans is word for word from an actual pamphlet dropped behind enemy lines during WW2. I love little touches like that.

42 minutes ago, Raja said:

Also, no surprise that the pamphlet dropped by the Germans is word for word from an actual pamphlet dropped behind enemy lines during WW2. I love little touches like that.

But it shouldn't be from 2 within the timeline of the show, right?  I thought that too at first, but if it's the "Take Care Of This Boy" letter - as they plainly indicated - then it should be be from WWI.  Unless Lindelof is just fucking with the viewer, which means of course you're correct.

18 minutes ago, DMC said:

But it shouldn't be from 2 within the timeline of the show, right?  I thought that too at first, but if it's the "Take Care Of This Boy" letter - as they plainly indicated - then it should be be from WWI.  Unless Lindelof is just fucking with the viewer, which means of course you're correct. 

It is indeed WW1! I don't know why I wrote 2.

As an aside - what did those of you who haven't read the comics make of the Jeremy Irons & Dr. Manhattan 'play'? I'm honestly curious about how the show works for people who haven't read the comics or watched the movie.

8 hours ago, Fragile Bird said:

Well, that was a whole hell of a lot more weird.

I assume the second attacker who didn’t finish off Angela was her boss perhaps?

I assumed it was Judd as well. Was his kid levitating those legos?

37 minutes ago, Astromech said:

I assumed it was Judd as well. Was his kid levitating those legos?

First, that kid was her partner's kid, right?  Not Judd's.  Second, I didn't think he was levitating the most awesome legos ever.  Figured it was just another kind of amazingly cool technology that this parallel universe enjoys yet still couldn't figure out portable phones and the internet.

6 minutes ago, DMC said:

First, that kid was her partner's kid, right?  Not Judd's.  Second, I didn't think he was levitating the most awesome legos ever.  Figured it was just another kind of amazingly cool technology that this parallel universe enjoys yet still couldn't figure out portable phones and the internet.

You're right, it was her partner's kid. Could be the technology. I asked because I thought Dr Manhattan was the only person in The Watchmen universe with actual powers.

It is wonderful seeing a world without smartphone zombies wandering around aimlessly.

7 hours ago, Raja said:

As an aside - what did those of you who haven't read the comics make of the Jeremy Irons & Dr. Manhattan 'play'? I'm honestly curious about how the show works for people who haven't read the comics or watched the movie.

It played as boring.  Want more of the horse!  That's a beautiful horse.

So beautiful it matched elegance and beauty with slo dance Christmas Eve scene -- until it all goes kablooey, of course.

8 hours ago, Raja said:

It is indeed WW1! I don't know why I wrote 2.

I watched the film, found it rather humorous. I was taken aback by the tomato Veidt plucks from the tree during his horse ride. Just where exactly is he?

Archived