'Watchmen' TV Series From Damon Lindelof on HBO {SPOILERS FROM PAGE 8}

AncalagonTheBlack

41 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

My suspicion is that Veidt  WAS imprisoned on Mars. He no longer is.

Each time we see him with a cake, it has another candle on it. He's been gone since 2012 or so. He's trying to escape Mars. The first thing we saw of Dr. Manhattan on Mars was a castle that looked very much like Veidt's castle. The things we've been seeing are his experiences in the past, and probably by episode 7 or 8 he'll coincide in some way with arriving back on Earth, since in cake terms that'd be his 7th anniversary. 

Which leaves us to wonder what he did or tried to do in 2012 to get imprisoned. You gotta figure it was somehow worse than killing 3 million people. 

57 minutes ago, Kalbear said:

Each time we see him with a cake, it has another candle on it. He's been gone since 2012 or so. He's trying to escape Mars. The first thing we saw of Dr. Manhattan on Mars was a castle that looked very much like Veidt's castle. The things we've been seeing are his experiences in the past, and probably by episode 7 or 8 he'll coincide in some way with arriving back on Earth, since in cake terms that'd be his 7th anniversary. 

I like it!

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Tis a good theory.  Lines up even more when you think about what the Black Freighter comic was that the  Ozymandias story is aping. (Lines up even more if this Veidt is actually Manhattan.)

4 hours ago, Arch-MaesterPhilip said:

So Sen. Keene is with the 7 Kav? I did I misinterpret the thing at the funeral?

A 7thK member with a suicide vest tried to kidnap him. Could be a bluff, but a bit of a risk to take if he is working with them! A potential president on their side to far too valuable to risk blowing up by accident.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

From the end of the episode, it seems that Angela's grandfather's reference to "friends in high places" could be Dr. Manhattan?

More likely Night Owl III, or whoever it is on the airship. Manhattan wouldn't need a big magnet to pick up a car!

1 hour ago, Kalbear said:

Each time we see him with a cake, it has another candle on it.

Huh. Yes, those scenes are pretty ambiguous with the time scale. Maybe he's the one with the airship?

13 minutes ago, Slurktan said:

Tis a good theory.  Lines up even more when you think about what the Black Freighter comic was that the  Ozymandias story is aping. (Lines up even more if this Veidt is actually Manhattan.)

Did anyone else notice the name of Laurie’s hotel was the Black Freighter?

9 minutes ago, felice said:

More likely Night Owl III, or whoever it is on the airship. Manhattan wouldn't need a big magnet to pick up a car!

He would if he didn't want the person who was about to witness the act to know it was him doing it. 

Of course, this is all contingent on it being Manhattan that dropped the car on Laurie, which seems likely given that Mars got bigger when she looked up at it shortly after, and the timing of the drop definitely implicated him as well.

48 minutes ago, briantw said:

He would if he didn't want the person who was about to witness the act to know it was him doing it. looked up at it shortly after

Did it really get bigger? at the time I attributed it to a change in camera focus. 

48 minutes ago, briantw said:

and the timing of the drop definitely implicated him as well.

But Dr. Manhattan is like beyond time, no? 

Also it would have burned up in the atmosphere. But like I said before I wonder if Will / Night Owl III (assuming a Manhattan offshoot isn't flying Archimedes) and Dr. Manhattan in his own removed way aren't working together to thwart the escaped veidt's attempt tom use the 7K and checkov's 8th wonder of the world to do _something_. 

Someone in the thread mentioned that only Dr. Manhattan has any real super powers?  Is that correct?  How does Sister Knight beat the crap out of men over 2x her size with absolute ease, and then shove the coffin as easily as she does, without any super powers?

22 minutes ago, SerHaHa said:

Someone in the thread mentioned that only Dr. Manhattan has any real super powers?  Is that correct?  How does Sister Knight beat the crap out of men over 2x her size with absolute ease, and then shove the coffin as easily as she does, without any super powers?

She does crossfit bro

2 hours ago, RumHam said:

Did it really get bigger? at the time I attributed it to a change in camera focus.

I'd say it was a flash, not that it got bigger.     I think the car dropping is unrelated, or what the flash was responding to.

It reminds me of Guy Gavriel Kay's Fionavar Tapesty, when the dark lord blows up the mountain to announce his escape from imprisonment, then the goddess causes a red full moon to appear on a new moon night, as a response, to give hope to the people of Fionavar.  Dr. Manhatten the god, responding to whatever person is behind the current events, but responding mainly for Laurie to have hope, to let her know her message was heard.

2 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

I'm gonna say because it's a super hero series? My understanding is the comic was asking these questions too. 

But mostly cause it's a world based on the idea that at some point otherwise normal people put on masks and started fighting. Only not just to stop black people from voting. 

2 hours ago, SerHaHa said:

I’ve seen rumours that later in the season it’s revealed Dr Manhattan built her a set of progressive plot armour, which is what enables her unnatural strength.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

I’ve seen rumours that later in the season it’s revealed Dr Manhattan built her a set of progressive plot armour, which is what enables her unnatural strength.

He also created complaint armour for all the male characters who can perform similar feats.

On a more serious note, i think there could be powers existing within the show. The guy in the wheelchair might be telling the truth, superpowers do exist in the form of Manhattan and Ozymandias appears to be meddling with his clones to create some kind of superbeings.

I definitely think the senator staged that funeral incident. If not, he made sure to seize the opportunity to be a martyr.

The introduction of silk spectre was great and the actor perfect for the role. Her standoffs with everyone was a treat and look forward to her and angela butting heads on a regular basis. Hero worshipping FBI agent - i think there's more going on with him. Either an ozymandias agent or connection with the minutemen.

Overall I'm enjoying the show quite a bit and like how it's slowly unfolding the world rather than holding our hand with info dumps. Trent reznor's score is recignizably him too.

9 minutes ago, red snow said:

I definitely think the senator staged that funeral incident. If not, he made sure to seize the opportunity to be a martyr.

Yeah, regardless of the actor's past on Mad Men, his readiness to sacrifice himself as a hostage is objectively suspicious.

10 minutes ago, red snow said:

Trent reznor's score is recignizably him too.

I want to listen to NIN after every episode now.

50 minutes ago, DMC said:

Yeah, regardless of the actor's past on Mad Men, his readiness to sacrifice himself as a hostage is objectively suspicious.

I want to listen to NIN after every episode now.

I think I'd happily listen to the show's soundtrack in of itself. NIN have had a bit of an upswing since Atticus Ross became a regular member/collaborator (he works on the show's soundtrack too). But it also reminds me of all the great songs in their library. Still the best sounding live act I've seen - often people make excuses for live performances sounding a bit more rough around the edges but they sounded studio quality.

11 hours ago, felice said:

A 7thK member with a suicide vest tried to kidnap him. Could be a bluff, but a bit of a risk to take if he is working with them! A potential president on their side to far too valuable to risk blowing up by accident.

Huh. Yes, those scenes are pretty ambiguous with the time scale. Maybe he's the one with the airship?

He was way to willing to go with the guy I think.

It feels as though the guy is working to escape his prison, that's what all those weird, retro tech experiments with his clones are about.  He's not allowed anything but retro means, such as even a contemporary type sewing machine which has digital components -- his is a 19th century treadle - needle machine.

Archived