Why didn't Ned...

Angel Eyes

Insist on Joffrey taking his head? If he wants Ned to die, he should do it himself.

Would have made the end of Ned a little better in my mind after watching the execution of Ser Rodrik Cassel in "The Old Gods and the New."

On 6/22/2017 at 8:50 AM, The Sunland Lord said:

Seemed shocked and unprepared, thought he'd be pardoned.

I always thought Ned's fate was a result of him finally learning to play the game. He knew he was screwed no matter what he did, but alive he could be used against his son while his daughters' lives were borderline meaningless to his captors. Getting executed would mean: 1. He couldn't be used as a hostage against against Robb/ the North's war effort; 2. Sansa and Arya would be of utmost importance to the Lannisters and so would be kept safe and unharmed; and 3. His death would be a rallying point for the North to rise against the crown. Perhaps I am giving Ned too much credit, but it seemed to me if he believed his death could benefit those he loved while handicapping his enemies, that would be an easy choice for him.

9 hours ago, mattnj81 said:

I always thought Ned's fate was a result of him finally learning to play the game. He knew he was screwed no matter what he did, but alive he could be used against his son while his daughters' lives were borderline meaningless to his captors. Getting executed would mean: 1. He couldn't be used as a hostage against against Robb/ the North's war effort; 2. Sansa and Arya would be of utmost importance to the Lannisters and so would be kept safe and unharmed; and 3. His death would be a rallying point for the North to rise against the crown. Perhaps I am giving Ned too much credit, but it seemed to me if he believed his death could benefit those he loved while handicapping his enemies, that would be an easy choice for him.

And make Joffrey look bad by botching the execution.

On 6/22/2017 at 8:50 AM, The Sunland Lord said:

Seemed shocked and unprepared, thought he'd be pardoned.

Didn't take very long for Ser Rodrik to insist that Theon do it.

"He who passes the sentence should swing the sword. Coward."

2 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

Didn't take very long for Ser Rodrik to insist that Theon do it.

"He who passes the sentence should swing the sword. Coward."

But Rodrick was prepared and actually was not willing to survive after being captured by Theon's men. Killed some Ironborn while on the run, didn't want to be their hostage pretending to be loyal to Theon Greyjoy- the Prince of Winterfell.

Eddard's pardon was a "done deal", with actual logic behind it: Trade hostages on both sides, and the Northern army would retreat, so at least one peace agreement would be made before Stannis and Renly's threat to the Throne.

While every sane person was in favor of this, no one saw Joffrey's level of cruelty and indifference towards the realm.

Archived