NHL: Offseason (Trades, UFA, Awards & the Draft)

Nictarion

No big suprises on the awards. Glad McDavid won the Hart. Crosby might be on top of the world right now but I'm not sure how much longer he'll be looked at as the unanimous best player in the world.

I would have probably voted for Karlsson for the Norris but Burns did have the numbers. 

Tortorella winning the Jack Adams is hard to argue with...nevertheless :ack:

I'm excited for the draft tomorrow night. The Devils have had a couple #1 picks on the team like Kovalchuk and Hall but never a kid they drafted themselves. 

Well, the Pens owe Fleury big time for waiving his NMC. He could've done what Darcy Tucker did at Toronto some years ago. Lean back and say, ok, if you me out (in order to keep Murray) then go ahead and buy me out.

I read in the other thread that Nashville got hit hard by the expansion draft, because they lost Neal. I think overall the Panthers got hit harder there.

Vegas has already traded two D-men they picked last night, sending Trevor van Riemsdyk to Carolina for a 2nd rounder in 2017, and David Schlemko to the Habs for a 5th rounder in 2019. Their draft was kind of underwhelming imo last night, but they got a few solid pieces in Fleury, Neal, and Marchessault. They are doing a nice job of stockpiling high round draft picks however, but hockey seems like it's the most hit-or-miss league when it comes to the draft so that could be a risky, but probably necessary endeavor to stock their system. Will be fun to see how they develop as a franchise.

Had the local sports talk radio on earlier in the car, and they were saying that they were hearing rumblings from inside the Pens organization that they are looking at moving Phil Kessel. Insanely stupid if you ask me.

8 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Devils take Nico over Nolan. The right move imo.

I agree. Sounds like the Flyers were super high on him as well. Patrick's injuries are just too much of a risk. I'm a happy motherfucker right now. :D

Welp Oskar Sundqvist and a first round pick dealt for a fucking 30 year old enforcer (Ryan Reaves) and a 2nd round pick. Disgusting. This is one of those moments where I think that I know absolutely nothing at all about hockey because I must be missing something, right? A 23 year old center with a ton of potential traded away (with a first round fucking pick) for a dude that's 30. :ack:

I don't always agree with you, but I agree 100% about the Sundqvist-Reaves trade.

Vegas drafted Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki and Erik Brännström in the first round, and many other interesting prospects later in the draft. That's definitely more interesting than the results of the expansion draft, in my opinion.

On ‎6‎/‎24‎/‎2017 at 0:16 PM, l2 0 5 5 said:

Welp Oskar Sundqvist and a first round pick dealt for a fucking 30 year old enforcer (Ryan Reaves) and a 2nd round pick. Disgusting. This is one of those moments where I think that I know absolutely nothing at all about hockey because I must be missing something, right? A 23 year old center with a ton of potential traded away (with a first round fucking pick) for a dude that's 30. :ack:

It's a pretty head scratching move, but I can see the need for a guy like Reaves who can actually play a consistent 4th line role as well as be an "enforcer". The only guy they had to drop the gloves was Sestito, who only dressed for games when trouble was probable, and he had no value besides that. I know nothing when it comes to who's who in the NHL draft outside of hearing about sure bets like McDavid, Matthews, or Crosby, so dropping 20 picks may not be that big of a deal, but adding Sundqvist in makes no sense. As of now, the Pens have no 3rd or 4th line center, which I'm assuming means they plan on keeping Bonino somehow if they didn't mind trading the only center prospect that was NHL ready. They definitely overpaid for Reaves, and Rutherford said as much, which is not a good look when you flat out admit something like that. Makes you wonder how much Jason Botterill was maybe keeping the old man in check prior to leaving for Buffalo.

5 hours ago, Joe Pesci said:

It's a pretty head scratching move, but I can see the need for a guy like Reaves who can actually play a consistent 4th line role as well as be an "enforcer". The only guy they had to drop the gloves was Sestito, who only dressed for games when trouble was probable, and he had no value besides that. I know nothing when it comes to who's who in the NHL draft outside of hearing about sure bets like McDavid, Matthews, or Crosby, so dropping 20 picks may not be that big of a deal, but adding Sundqvist in makes no sense. As of now, the Pens have no 3rd or 4th line center, which I'm assuming means they plan on keeping Bonino somehow if they didn't mind trading the only center prospect that was NHL ready. They definitely overpaid for Reaves, and Rutherford said as much, which is not a good look when you flat out admit something like that. Makes you wonder how much Jason Botterill was maybe keeping the old man in check prior to leaving for Buffalo.

Yeah I won't argue that we need a guy like Reaves on the team, but I can't justify Sundqvist being a part of the trade that brings him here. I don't see how you can part ways with a young player that has a ton of potential for a bruiser that's 30 already. I just don't get it. I hope we regret this trade for many years.

50 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Preds are signing Bonino. Kinda happy but we have a good crew of third line ability centers. He was solid in both Cup runs for Pitt so im reasonably pleased.

penguins better not get Duchene :( 

He's a good player. Not gonna put up the flashy numbers but when it comes to playoff time he does everything big and little thing you could ask out of a player. Scores clutch goals, kills penalties, blocks shots (not afraid to break his leg), and good in the faceoff circle. Good for you guys and Bonino. He deserves the cash.

16 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

He's a good player. Not gonna put up the flashy numbers but when it comes to playoff time he does everything big and little thing you could ask out of a player. Scores clutch goals, kills penalties, blocks shots (not afraid to break his leg), and good in the faceoff circle. Good for you guys and Bonino. He deserves the cash.

This makes me feel better about it. Seems like the perfect replacement for Fisher if he is retiring

50 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

This makes me feel better about it. Seems like the perfect replacement for Fisher if he is retiring

Yep. You'll like him as long as your expectations are fair. Like I said, not gonna put up a lot of points in the reg season but shows up big in the playoffs. 

Archived