NHL: Offseason (Trades, UFA, Awards & the Draft)

Nictarion

I think Holtby must have watched the Champion's League Final and asked himself: can I do the same thing in hockey as Liverpool's keeper did in soccer? It turns out that the answer is pretty much yes. Fortunately for him, the rest of Washington's hockey team is strong enough to survive such experiments...

16 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

How bout them Caps...

Vegas is not at all used to this kind of adversity. It will be interesting to see if they can bounce back and make a series of it. Not looking good for them. 

Ugh, this is making me ill. I think its already over.

So I refrained from posting during the Caps run because I was worried about jinxing it, but this has been an incredible playoffs.  The Caps finally played like a team that wins in the postseason, particularly defensively.  Holtby was great at times, but it's guys like Niskinan, Carlson, Orlov and Orpik who were finally FINALLY preventing the other teams from getting quality looks at an unsustainable rate.  I felt like every Caps disappointment I've sat through (and there are so many) had that in common.  Once we got that sorted out, the Caps have offensive talent for days, even with losing a few guys in the offseason.  Great run, and the first championship I've experienced since the 1991 Redskins in third grade. 

10 hours ago, Jaime L said:

Wow, never thought it'd be the Caps that ended the DC sports drought. Happy for Ovi getting to slay so many demons. 

Weird that you would say that because I always assumed it would be the Caps that did it.  Barring a few down seasons they've been a top 5 hockey team every year of the Ovechkin era, and I always thought they'd put it together eventually.  I'll admit my faith was badly shaken last year in that complete no-show in game 7, but hockey is a funny thing.  Sometimes talented teams play bad, and a lot of the time that team is the Capitals. 

BUT NOT THIS TIME.

5 hours ago, Maithanet said:

Weird that you would say that because I always assumed it would be the Caps that did it.  Barring a few down seasons they've been a top 5 hockey team every year of the Ovechkin era, and I always thought they'd put it together eventually.  I'll admit my faith was badly shaken last year in that complete no-show in game 7, but hockey is a funny thing.  Sometimes talented teams play bad, and a lot of the time that team is the Capitals. 

BUT NOT THIS TIME.

For sure but it had been like 10 straight years, many times as the #1 seed, where things would collapse in the worst possible way in the playoffs. All the DC teams are tortured franchises at this point but the Caps, until this moment, were by the far the most tortured precisely because they were so great every year. Just thought they were so deep in their own heads by this point they weren't ever getting out.

Gives hope to the Nats who've been like a Caps microcosm since 2012. Thank you Caps for finally being the one to fucking get it done! 

32 minutes ago, Jaime L said:

For sure but it had been like 10 straight years, many times as the #1 seed, where things would collapse in the worst possible way in the playoffs. All the DC teams are tortured franchises at this point but the Caps, until this moment, were by the far the most tortured precisely because they were so great every year. Just thought they were so deep in their own heads by this point they weren't ever getting out at this point. 

Gives hope to the Nats who've been like a Caps microcosm since 2012. Thank you Caps for finally being the one to fucking get it done! 

We're 2/2 on historically hard luck franchises winning the title this year, although that streak will end whenever the Warriors wrap things up.  If Basketball were to follow suit it would probably be...the Trailblazers? The Jazz?  The Raptors?  I feel like the NBA is so cruelly unfair in its championship distribution that half the league would qualify.  And then in MLB...the Indians? 

3 hours ago, Maithanet said:

We're 2/2 on historically hard luck franchises winning the title this year, although that streak will end whenever the Warriors wrap things up.  If Basketball were to follow suit it would probably be...the Trailblazers? The Jazz?  The Raptors?  I feel like the NBA is so cruelly unfair in its championship distribution that half the league would qualify.  And then in MLB...the Indians? 

Hmm good point. Indians are now the ultimate hard luck MLB team so them winning the WS would be perfect (and they look to be good enough). In the NBA it's hard to figure out the hardest luck franchise. Maybe Clippers. 

Buffalo has to be the hardest luck sports town at this point. Lost 4 Super Bowls in a row, and I’m sure they still have nightmares about Brett Hull’s skate...

My hometown of Cincinnati is up there, too. We haven’t won a championship since the Reds won the World Series in 1990. And of course we’ve known nothing but heartache as Bengals fans. 

Archived