Gomorrah- The series [season 3 spoilers]

Ramsay B.

I figured it was long overdue for this show to get its own thread.

Holy shit what an ending! I usually don't get too surprised at stuff on tv anymore but Don Pietro going after Ciro's daughter was pretty fucking shocking, and ruthless as hell. I knew that Genny would most likely pick Ciro in the end but I didn't see that shit coming. The actor who played Pietro was brilliant too. His presence will be missed but his death will obviously open up everything again.  

Despite all the characters being pretty awful humans, who did everyone root for? I stuck with Ciro the whole time. Genny won me over this season too so it's gonna be interesting to see where they go next with the pair of them and their ego's. Malammore was great also but he went too far in the finale. I'm sure he's gonna take over and go after Genny now so that will be fun. 

I think I'm gonna wait like a month or 2 and watch both seasons again in a short time. I spaced it out too much and feel like I forgot a lot of shit that went on. Either way it's a brilliant show and can't wait for the release of season 3, whenever that will be.

That finale was indeed shocking. I just can't rave about this show enough. I don't think there's ever even been a bad scene, let alone a bad episode. I'm not sure I've ever really seen anything like it. It's just balls to the wall at all times. Might already be a top 10 show for me. You're right the actor playing Don Pietro will be sorely missed. What a fucking presence he had. I was actually more on the Savastano's side than Ciro's tbh. Genny is probably my favorite character. That MF is definitely born again hard. I also really like Patrizia. I'll be curious to see what her role will be going foward. I watched S1 on Netflix shortly before S2 hit Sundance so the wait for S3 is going to suck.

Finished season 2 a couple of months back. This is a brilliant show - without doubt among the best shows I've ever watched. If it were on one of the big American networks, I suspect this show would sit at/near the top of most peoples "best show" list and would have collected numerous awards as well.

Arguably the best show on television currently. Season 2 was phenomenal. It's difficult to improve on season 1 but season 2 did just that. Every episode is excellent. The writers never take an episode off. I can't say that for most of the best television.

Yeah Don Pietro was pretty cold ordering the murder of Ciro's daughter. However, Ciro ordered the murder of Imma and almost killed Genny last season. Still, it's difficult  to pick who is the coldest of the bunch in this show.

I've always rooted for the Savastano clan. Imma was my favorite last season, but I was leaning towards Genny after seeing the shit he went through in Honduras. No wonder he went against his old man. He came back a very different man.

I really love how the show focuses on the bit characters caught up in the conflict. Patrizia was fantastic this season. And last season was fantastic with the girl who owned the bridal shop. I forget her name. Also the young kid whose brother worked for Conte in Spain.

9 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

Despite all the characters being pretty awful humans, who did everyone root for? I stuck with Ciro the whole time. Genny won me over this season too so it's gonna be interesting to see where they go next with the pair of them and their ego's. Malammore was great also but he went too far in the finale. I'm sure he's gonna take over and go after Genny now so that will be fun. 

Ciro was my favorite till he killed the girl in S1 then I never quite warmed back up to him. Killing Deborah in the S2 premiere was awesome.. it didn't feel out of character at all to me. I could feel the pressure on Ciro and Deborah during their fight and Ciro's descent into madness..

I really didn't like Genny's character in the first half of S1 because I'm tired of the imbecile mob boss son trope. I was hoping he'd get killed instead of being a multi-season character like what the Sopranos writers did with Anthony Jr. But he's probably my favorite now and I love his interactions with Ciro. I'm hoping for more Ciro vs Genny in S3.

8 hours ago, Nictarion said:

You're right the actor playing Don Pietro will be sorely missed. What a fucking presence he had. I was actually more on the Savastano's side than Ciro's tbh. Genny is probably my favorite character. That MF is definitely born again hard. I also really like Patrizia. I'll be curious to see what her role will be going foward. I watched S1 on Netflix shortly before S2 hit Sundance so the wait for S3 is going to suck.

Definitely going to miss Don Pietro. His character definitely had presence and eminence in the show. When he sat in his chair in his office.. I just kept thinking of Tywin Lannister sitting on a throne decorated with lions. He was such an alpha male character -- I really liked the way they pulled of his reign, fall  and rise again..

Counting on Patrizia for S3 and using her Pietro-tutored skills to deal with both Ciro and Genny. With the number of characters the show kills off, it's great that they have others who can take larger roles and still keep me interested. 

3 hours ago, Zorral said:

How did you all watch season 2?

I watched season 1 streaming from netflix, and was looking forward immediately to season 2.

If you go to the Gomorrah subreddit on Reddit.. there's a link to a streaming site (you can PM if you want). Doubt it's legal but I couldn't resist watching the show. I'll buy the show some other way to compensate them.

16 minutes ago, WarGalley said:

If you go to the Gomorrah subreddit on Reddit.. there's a link to a streaming site (you can PM if you want). Doubt it's legal but I couldn't resist watching the show. I'll buy the show some other way to compensate them.

That's what I did too. Although episode 8 or 9 didn't have subtitles so that sucked. 

6 hours ago, Nictarion said:

I just can't rave about this show enough. I don't think there's ever even been a bad scene, let alone a bad episode. I'm not sure I've ever really seen anything like it. It's just balls to the wall at all times. Might already be a top 10 show for me. 

Yup, I really can't think of a bad episode. It's just amazing. I tell everyone I know about it, but unfortunately reading subtitles is a big turnoff to many. Their loss.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

How did you all watch season 2?

I watched season 1 streaming from netflix, and was looking forward immediately to season 2.

The Sundance Channel also airs the show.

10 minutes ago, Ramsay B. said:

Yup, I really can't think of a bad episode. It's just amazing. I tell everyone I know about it, but unfortunately reading subtitles is a big turnoff to many. Their loss.

Uncultured swine. :P

I recommended it to my brother who at least watches Narcos. If you're willing to read subtitles for half a show why not the entire thing? I didn't think it was possible to do a show about a more ruthless criminal group than the Escobar cartel, but the Camorra might have them beat. 

A great show. What an outrageous brutality! A good thing they announced there'll be at least 2 more seasons.

Spoiler

Unlike many, wasn't surprised when Don Pietro moved against Ciro's family. It was actually an expected outcome, after Ciro moved against Pietro's family previously. But, didn't see Genny's betrayal, even though it made sense after all. What he did to his wife/girl's father  in order to overthrow him, was sort of preparation for what's next and good character buildup.

5 hours ago, Astromech said:

Yeah Don Pietro was pretty cold ordering the murder of Ciro's daughter. However, Ciro ordered the murder of Imma and almost killed Genny last season. Still, it's difficult  to pick who is the coldest of the bunch in this show.

I'd say the main difference there was that Imma and Genny were both "in the game," so to speak.  Imma was actually running things at the time and Genny was heavily involved as well.  Ciro's daughter, on the other hand, was just a kid and wasn't involved in anything at all.

14 minutes ago, briantw said:

I'd say the main difference there was that Imma and Genny were both "in the game," so to speak.  Imma was actually running things at the time and Genny was heavily involved as well.  Ciro's daughter, on the other hand, was just a kid and wasn't involved in anything at all.

I saw it as: Ciro took away the only girl in Pietro's life, and so Pietro did the same. It was really the only way to hurt Ciro in an equivalent manner and a great way to show yet another similarity between both men (being directly responsible and capable of the murder of an innocent girl to get what they want).

55 minutes ago, briantw said:

Sure, but there have been a few innocents killed in the show. My take was similar to WarGalley's. Then again, Pietro's fatherly instincts are twisted to say the least.

18 minutes ago, Astromech said:

Sure, but there have been a few innocents killed in the show. My take was similar to WarGalley's. Then again, Pietro's fatherly instincts are twisted to say the least.

No doubt there have been more than a few innocents killed.  I was just commenting that Ciro killing Imma was a lot different than Pietro killing Ciro's daughter.  One of those people was actively involved in the criminal empire.  The other was a kid.

3 hours ago, Nictarion said:

Uncultured swine. :P

I recommended it to my brother who at least watches Narcos. If you're willing to read subtitles for half a show why not the entire thing? I didn't think it was possible to do a show about a more ruthless criminal group than the Escobar cartel, but the Camorra might have them beat. 

It's coz Napoli has been the cross roads of Greek, Norman, French, Spanish, Islamic (Arabs and Turks!), and Latin brutality for centuries, so they got all the bases for cruelty, ruthlessness, greed, corruption and scheming covered.

Not to mention -- in season 1 I noticed at least one of the characters was named Atilla, which shows what an impression his invasion of the peninsula made, that people are still being named after him in the 21st century.

1 hour ago, briantw said:

No doubt there have been more than a few innocents killed.  I was just commenting that Ciro killing Imma was a lot different than Pietro killing Ciro's daughter.  One of those people was actively involved in the criminal empire.  The other was a kid.

Oh, I agree with you. And seeing as it was Pietro's last order, a final option if you will, he may have some semblance of a code. I was just trying to see it from Pietro's standpoint and not condoning his actions. What may have been even colder was Genny naming his son Pietro after setting up his father's murder.

I ended up re-watching the episode from Season 1 where Ciro goes to Spain, negotiates with Conte and then with the Russians. That might be my favorite episode from Season 1. Loved the tension of Ciro not knowing how Conte would receive him and later being helplessly left in the open ocean. The negotiation and Russian roulette with the Russians was the icing of the episode. That scene was executed very well.. all of these high society Russian criminals cheering Ciro on to blow his brains out. I could definitely feel the relief of Ciro jumping into the ocean later in celebration that he was able to pull off the deal with Conte and with the Russians in the face of death.

So I was reading about Gomorra the book and apparently it's similar to the TV show in the same way that Homicide: Life on the Killing streets and The Corner are similar to The Wire. It seems several actions in the show are based on real life events particularly from the events of the Scampi feud.

Paolo Di Lauro, head of the Camorra clan that runs the northern suburbs, was in charge of a tightly managed drug empire that imported cocaine and heroin and distributed it through an army of dealers. Di Lauro granted neighborhood ringleaders a certain amount of autonomy in exchange for the monopoly and cuts of the proceeds. He went into hiding in 2002 as authorities closed in. He left the business to Vincenzo Di Lauro, one of his ten sons. After the arrest of Vincenzo in 2004, Cosimo Di Lauro took charge.[2][3]

Cosimo Di Lauro wanted to centralize the drug-dealing operation that had been run as a franchise in which dealers paid the Di Lauros a fee for doing business and were allowed to buy the drugs from any available source.[3] The young Di Lauro removed older gangsters and replaced them with young criminals new to the business. In revolt, a faction now known as the "secessionists" challenged the Di Lauros in October 2004. One of the local dealers, Raffaele Amato, disputed the new rules, fled to Spain and organized a revolt against his former bosses. In Scampia, they are known as the Spaniards. Di Lauro responded by ordering the killing of two rebel associates, Fulvio Montanino and Claudio Salerno on October 28, 2004. During their funeral three days later, police arrested two men armed with machine guns who were planning to fire on the funeral procession.[3][4] The two bands fought each other with a brutality that stunned even hardened Carabinieri.[5][not in citations given]

In November 2004, 22 year old Gelsomina Verde was abducted and brutally beaten, probably in an effort to get her to disclose the whereabouts of her former boyfriend, Gennaro Notturno, a Scissionisti clan member. The two had broken up weeks prior to her abduction. She was shot three times in the neck and her body put in a car that was set on fire.[6][7]

Definitely going to see if I can get an English translation of the book as I enjoyed reading both Homicide and The Corner after watching The Wire.

Archived