Gomorrah- The series [season 3 spoilers]

Ramsay B.

17 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'd second all the praise for Gomorrah.  It really is so gripping.

I can't say that I actually like any of the characters, though.  But, it was fascinating to see Don Pietro gradually take back control of the city in Season 2, block by block, only to be betrayed by his own son.

I can't get over Lady Imma instructing the family's accountant to commit suicide in Season 1.

Also, the waiter in Season 1 deserves his very own Darwin award, saying about Genny "We used to call him Red Pepper at school, because he was fat, and went red in the face."  That's on a par for stupidity with Fat Dom's death in the Sopranos.

Not even Patrizia? 

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Actually, yes, I do like Patrizia, though no doubt she'll do something horrendous in the next season, that kills my sympathy.

Yeah, as soon as you start to routing for a certain character, the writers completely kill your first impression. I loved Malamore after the first season . . .

• 6 months later...
  • 4 months later...

The NY Times Book section has a conversation with the author of Gommorah, the book from which the television series was adapted.  He lives under threat of death.  But, he is rich!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/books/roberto-saviano-piranhas-italy-gomorrah-naples-camorra.html?

NAPLES — Roberto Saviano is only 38, but for nearly a dozen years it has been like this: He is guarded around the clock, moving from house to house and sleeping in the police station when he returns to Naples, because it’s the only safe place for him to stay overnight in his home city.

Mr. Saviano earned the long line of people who wish him the very worst with his first book, “Gomorrah,” which in 2006 peeled back Naples’s skin to name the mobsters who he says destroyed his city. Thus began his journey to become Italy’s most divisive writer.

• 3 weeks later...

I completed a rewatch of the first two seasons and finally started season 3. Weird seeing Ciro with hair. Interested to see where this all goes.

I finally got one of my friends to watch it and after the third episode he said Genny seems a little soft and is a bit of a clown, and that he hopes he comes into his own. :lol:

I still haven't seen Season 3 yet but I think I'll go the piracy route now. 

Anyone seen Umbre? It's available to stream with Amazon Prime US and it comes up when I search for Gomorrah Season 3. It's got a 9/10 rating on IMDB which is pretty strong.  Season 1 premise:

After accidentally killing a man, taxi driver/mob collector Relu sees the wall between his two worlds begin to crumble. The battle begins both to escape the underworld and to keep his wife and children in the dark.

I just finished season 3...

Spoiler

Wtf!!! I mean Ciro definitely deserved to be killed but that was devastating. I’m gonna really miss that cold-hearted bastard, and hopefully the show doesn’t suffer too much without him but I highly doubt it. Damn. 

I hope Genny cleans house next year. He obviously has a lot of work to do now and just doesn’t have the muscle now, but it would be nice to see Valerio and those brothers killed in dramatic fashion.

5 hours ago, Ramsay B. said:

I just finished season 3...

Reveal hidden contents

Wtf!!! I mean Ciro definitely deserved to be killed but that was devastating. I’m gonna really miss that cold-hearted bastard, and hopefully the show doesn’t suffer too much without him but I highly doubt it. Damn. 

I hope Genny cleans house next year. He obviously has a lot of work to do now and just doesn’t have the muscle now, but it would be nice to see Valerio and those brothers killed in dramatic fashion.

they definitely have a challenge on their hands to maintain the show’s quality without Don Pietro

and Ciro.

• 2 weeks later...

Holy shit. Just finished Season 3. I love this show. Even though this season was "slow," they ended it really strongly. Can't believe how much I missed the music too.

Massive Season 3 spoilers:

Spoiler

Nooooo Ciro!! How are they going to replace him.. It doesn't seem possible. At some point in the episode I realized either Ciro or Genny was going to die. Then when Ciro visits the graves of his wife and daughter, I was just waiting for it.

Patrizia betraying and killing Cianel was also really unexpected for me. I completely forgot that she used to live under Cianel's thumb in her previous life. 

• 3 weeks later...

Finished S3 last year, this thread has surprisingly little activity for such a good show.

Spoiler

Unfortunately I don't have high expectations for s4.  They just about managed without the compelling Don Pietro but much of that was down to Pep Guardiola (Ciro), not sure how it survives without him too.  Genny is a character i've never been crazy about, he's at his best when playing off the aforementioned other two, but he's not a character, or even actor, that could carry on the show's high standards. Hopefully they bring in some new talent.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

https://deadline.com/2019/04/gomorrah-series-four-uk-release-date-netflix-sky-atlantic-america-1202590985/

The fourth season of hit Italo crime series Gomorrah is currently airing in Italy but UK viewers will have to wait until June to get their fix.

Sky Italia’s flagship original, based on Roberto Saviano’s story about the Neapolitan mafia, is due to get a boxset release on Sky Atlantic from June 19 in the UK.

U.S. viewers are still waiting to find out when and where they’ll be able to watch series three, which I understand has been caught up in the Weinstein Company bankruptcy and sale to Lantern Capital. TWC had U.S. rights to the third series. The first two seasons were picked up stateside by Sundance TV and then showed on Netflix.

So, June 19 for season 4 in the UK.

'Gomorrah' Prequel Film First Trailer

The storyline of L’Immortale will bridge seasons four and five of Gomorrah

Archived