Sign in to follow this  
Ramsay B.

Gomorrah- The series [season 2 spoilers]

17 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I'd second all the praise for Gomorrah.  It really is so gripping.

I can't say that I actually like any of the characters, though.  But, it was fascinating to see Don Pietro gradually take back control of the city in Season 2, block by block, only to be betrayed by his own son.

I can't get over Lady Imma instructing the family's accountant to commit suicide in Season 1.

Also, the waiter in Season 1 deserves his very own Darwin award, saying about Genny "We used to call him Red Pepper at school, because he was fat, and went red in the face."  That's on a par for stupidity with Fat Dom's death in the Sopranos.

Not even Patrizia? 

31 minutes ago, Nictarion said:

Not even Patrizia? 

Actually, yes, I do like Patrizia, though no doubt she'll do something horrendous in the next season, that kills my sympathy.

4 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Actually, yes, I do like Patrizia, though no doubt she'll do something horrendous in the next season, that kills my sympathy.

Yeah, as soon as you start to routing for a certain character, the writers completely kill your first impression. I loved Malamore after the first season . . .

The NY Times Book section has a conversation with the author of Gommorah, the book from which the television series was adapted.  He lives under threat of death.  But, he is rich!

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/books/roberto-saviano-piranhas-italy-gomorrah-naples-camorra.html?

NAPLES — Roberto Saviano is only 38, but for nearly a dozen years it has been like this: He is guarded around the clock, moving from house to house and sleeping in the police station when he returns to Naples, because it’s the only safe place for him to stay overnight in his home city.

Mr. Saviano earned the long line of people who wish him the very worst with his first book, “Gomorrah,” which in 2006 peeled back Naples’s skin to name the mobsters who he says destroyed his city. Thus began his journey to become Italy’s most divisive writer.

Saviano's new book, The Piranhas, is out here in the US.  I got it, but haven't started reading it yet.

I completed a rewatch of the first two seasons and finally started season 3. Weird seeing Ciro with hair. Interested to see where this all goes.

I finally got one of my friends to watch it and after the third episode he said Genny seems a little soft and is a bit of a clown, and that he hopes he comes into his own. :lol:

I still haven't seen Season 3 yet but I think I'll go the piracy route now. 

Anyone seen Umbre? It's available to stream with Amazon Prime US and it comes up when I search for Gomorrah Season 3. It's got a 9/10 rating on IMDB which is pretty strong.  Season 1 premise:

After accidentally killing a man, taxi driver/mob collector Relu sees the wall between his two worlds begin to crumble. The battle begins both to escape the underworld and to keep his wife and children in the dark.