Gomorrah- The series [season 3 spoilers]

Ramsay B.

On 6/23/2017 at 7:44 AM, Ramsay B. said:

Despite all the characters being pretty awful humans, who did everyone root for?.

Conte and Prince were easily the most likable imo. Prince would've been smarter to choose Conte over Ciro. 

Genny is pure ice now. Gets his father in law locked up and has his father killed by his mothers killer :lol: yikes. 

Season two was awesome. Favorite season this year of anything I've watched. What a show. 

No idea where season three will take it but I hope eventually to a Genny vs Ciro showdown. 

• 1 month later...

Season 2 is up on Netflix US by the way if anyone's up for a re-watch.

Also, I posted in the Watch Movies thread a couple of weeks ago when the board kept going down, but I highly recommend the movie Suburra to everyone in the thread.

Edit: and Zorral already beat me to it in the other thread.

3 hours ago, WarGalley said:

Season 2 is up on Netflix US by the way if anyone's up for a re-watch.

Also, I posted in the Watch Movies thread a couple of weeks ago when the board kept going down, but I highly recommend the movie Suburra to everyone in the thread.

Edit: and Zorral already beat me to it in the other thread.

I wanted to post it here but stupid search function didn't find this topic.  Grrrrrrrr.

Well, I hated the music and came back home and have watched the first three eps.  They didn't fool around, right into it they went.  Arrrrggghhhhhhhh!  I was caught right back into that world blam from the opening of the first scene of the first episode

They do like blades in this series don't they?

And I would say that Suburra is to Gommorah what The Corner was to The Wire.  The second ones slick and fictionalized and emotionally gripping, in ways that the proto previous ones were not, so to speak.  Because, yah, more money, better cast, more everything.

6 hours ago, Zorral said:

And I would say that Suburra is to Gommorah what The Corner was to The Wire.  The second ones slick and fictionalized and emotionally gripping, in ways that the proto previous ones were not, so to speak.  Because, yah, more money, better cast, more everything.

Don't understand this comparison. The Corner is much older than the Wire, but Suburra is a new film, much more recent than the Gomorrah film and released at the same time as the new Gomorrah TV series. It's also very slick looking.

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Don't understand this comparison. The Corner is much older than the Wire, but Suburra is a new film, much more recent than the Gomorrah film and released at the same time as the new Gomorrah TV series. It's also very slick looking.

Perhaps I have it confused with another work which was billed as the forerunner of Gommorah?  It takes place in the same location and milieu, but much more grainy with a documentary approach

Well, there is a 2008 film Gomorrah, then there is a 2015/2016 new series called Gomorrah which is apparently quite different from the film, and there is a 2015 film Suburra ( excellent) , to be followed this October by the Suburra tv show that will air on Netflix. Not sure what it is you have seen.

1 hour ago, Calibandar said:

Well, there is a 2008 film Gomorrah, then there is a 2015/2016 new series called Gomorrah which is apparently quite different from the film, and there is a 2015 film Suburra ( excellent) , to be followed this October by the Suburra tv show that will air on Netflix. Not sure what it is you have seen.

It was the 2008 Gommorah.  Thank you for clearing this up for me.  It also means I haven't seen Suburra, so there's that to look forward to.

• 2 weeks later...

OK.  That was a brilliant season 2.  But brutal, o my lordessa.

So, season 3 -- we take over everything like daddy down there before Ciro?  What about Rome?  This is gonna be good!

I started a re-watch of Season 2 (which will likely pause once Narcos comes out tomorrow). Even upon second viewing of the first episode, I'm surprised by how fast the action gets going.  

Spoiler

The bank robbery homicide starts within the first 10 minutes. The ruthlessness of it doesn't even prepare you for Deborah's death. 

Spanish Roulette from Season 1 is still my favorite episode in the series, but the Season 2 opener is right behind it. We'll see how I feel after I go through the rest of the season.

All through the watching I was in awe at how easily all the action rolled, and how easy it was for someone like me to comprehend everything, even dependent entirely on subtitles -- and how quickly it went by without feeling in the least bit rushed, or that things were being left out.  It must be that the actors are really that good.  And the writers too, because it wasn't only the bones I was getting but I felt I was getting the full body.

• 2 weeks later...

After watching both seasons, I read Saviano's book "Gommorah" which was the basis for both the 2008 movie, and the series. Truly chilling, not only for the violence, but for the power the "organization" wields internationally. After the book was published, Saviano got life-time protection. Very much looking forward to season 3.

I'd second all the praise for Gomorrah.  It really is so gripping.

I can't say that I actually like any of the characters, though.  But, it was fascinating to see Don Pietro gradually take back control of the city in Season 2, block by block, only to be betrayed by his own son.

I can't get over Lady Imma instructing the family's accountant to commit suicide in Season 1.

Also, the waiter in Season 1 deserves his very own Darwin award, saying about Genny "We used to call him Red Pepper at school, because he was fat, and went red in the face."  That's on a par for stupidity with Fat Dom's death in the Sopranos.

Archived