Cricket: Industrial Action Edition

ljkeane

Five wickets for Roland-Jones on debut. Conditions were probably about as good as they're likely to be in test cricket for his type of bowling, at least yesterday, but he's definitely taken advantage.

8 hours ago, ljkeane said:

Five wickets for Roland-Jones on debut. Conditions were probably about as good as they're likely to be in test cricket for his type of bowling, at least yesterday, but he's definitely taken advantage.

He's definitely done well, since Jimmy Anderson isn't getting any younger it's good to develop some traditional English medium pacers to potentially replace him. I'm not sure I can see him doing quite so well on Australian pitches but he does look good in English conditions.

I thought Westley continued to look good in the abbreviated second innings, Jennings on the other hand seemed all over the place although somehow he's managed to survive.

16 hours ago, williamjm said:

I thought Westley continued to look good in the abbreviated second innings, Jennings on the other hand seemed all over the place although somehow he's managed to survive.

A bit of a betwixt and between score of 48 for Jennings in the end. It's probably not enough to secure his place for Australia but it should keep him in the side for Old Trafford. In fairness to him while he did ride his luck a bit it's certainly not easy out there for a left handed opener in these conditions up against Morkel and Philander. On the plus side for Jennings he does seem to have identified some of his issues and made some positive adjustments to try and address them in this innings (getting forward more and batting out of his crease to Philander).

Westley has looked a bit more laboured this morning but he's still looked reasonably composed and he's battled through for his 50. He looks a lot more solid than Ballance anyway.

16 hours ago, williamjm said:

He's definitely done well, since Jimmy Anderson isn't getting any younger it's good to develop some traditional English medium pacers to potentially replace him. I'm not sure I can see him doing quite so well on Australian pitches but he does look good in English conditions.

Yeah, you'd think Woakes or Wood would be more suited to Australian conditions but I suppose Philander is proof that a traditional English style seamer can be effective around the world. You've just got to be really, really good.

7 hours ago, ljkeane said:

A bit of a betwixt and between score of 48 for Jennings in the end. It's probably not enough to secure his place for Australia but it should keep him in the side for Old Trafford.

There's also the two Tests against the Windies to come ths summer, if he does alright at OT then he'll most likely stay in the team for those.

2 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

There's also the two Tests against the Windies to come ths summer, if he does alright at OT then he'll most likely stay in the team for those.

Or alternatively if he continues to struggle the selectors might decide to pull the trigger and give Stoneman a chance. If they decide they need to make change they probably don't want to throw a new player straight in for an away Ashes test.

It's been a completely different England in this match with Roland-Jones picking up wickets (plus adding some pop in the lower order) and Westley fighting hard in both of his innings at number three. It also helps when the better batsmen in the side (Cook, Root, Stokes and Bairstow) make runs. Malan looks a bit out of his depth, but when you play three debutants it's unlikely that all three will succeed immediately.

South Africa meanwhile have looked pretty ordinary, with much of the Nottingham gold turning to dust. De Kock failed in both innings at four, Du Plessis made schoolboy errors (out twice not offering a shot!) and Morris pretty much got carted, as well as failed with the bat. It will be interesting to see now whether they ring the changes for the final test, as England did after their humiliation at Trent Bridge. I think moving QdK back down the order may be on the cards.

ETA: Oh and SA is pretty much instantly going to lose any test in England when Amla fails twice.

I felt England waited longer than they should to declare (do they really need a lead of 490?), they may talk a lot about having an aggressive approach but it certainly doesn't seem to apply to declaration targets. Despite that they then bowled well enough that it seems very likely they'll be able to win tomorrow, Elgar and Bavuma offered some good resistance but other than that the South African top order has been very disappointing in this match.

I haven't watched any West Indies test cricket for a while, because it's kind of depressing, but I see Kemar Roach is still playing and he took 3-17 today against Essex. Looks like that series might not represent such easy runs for whoever is Cook's trial partner at that point. 

Cricket Australia has finally struck a deal with the ACA. This looks like a pretty significant win for the players, with up to 30% of revenue to be shared. Looking forward to the Bangladesh tour!

Meanwhile, India is already 100/1 in what is shaping up to be a very one-sided series.

Yes, sounds like the players largely got what they wanted, with revenue sharing intact. They will have to be careful now though. If the players start publicly trashing CA after this, and then especially if they don't win, the public will turn on them pretty quickly. If they take it gracefully without any cheap shots and perform well on the field, then all will be forgotten and we can get back on with it.

I agree that the players would be better off keeping their mouths shut (they don't exactly have "clean hands"), but CA deserves a bit of a trashing, including from the media and the public. It should have been prepared to consult and negotiate with the ACA behind closed doors before sending contracts to individual players (and before participating in a disgraceful mini-public relations war).  A bit of basic business courtesy from CA and this fiasco would have been avoided.

I'll be interested to see where they landed on retrospective pay.

ETA: Actually the biggest story here may end up being:

Female player payments

• Female player payments will increase from $7.5 million to $55.2 million

Yeah, good to see the women's game getting lots of money in Australia. This should be happening across more sports. I work in a school and talking to the director of sport, he said that if any girl wants to make a career out of a sport they really need to make it in tennis, which is the only sport that offers decent money to women (albeit a very, very small percentage of the overall population make it in tennis).

England slightly ahead in the 4th Test, and although they're 6 down there still theoretically could be a bit of batting for them to go. A pity there isn't a fit Philander to play. He offers a lot as the best seamer for English conditions and a solid lower-order bat. As it is, they'll be a bit thinner in the batting ranks now with de Bruyn at 7, Maharaj at 8 and Morkel, Rabada, Olivier not much to write home about in terms of batting.

I don't know, it depends what the pitch does with all the rain we've had but I thought South Africa bowled pretty well yesterday. With getting Stokes right at the end of the day I think they might have just edged ahead.

Will Australia have a fully professional women's league with that funding level? That should give them a strong team.

I'm usually happy to watch women's sport but I must admit after going to an international where the standard was really, really low a few years ago I haven't really watched much women's cricket. The recent World Cup seems to have had a lot of positive reviews so I might have to change that.

I think England are ahead in this one. Runs on the board and a pretty shaky batting order will make it tough for SA to level the series. Their main hope is a big Amla and/or Elgar hundred to set-up a decent lead. Otherwise I don't see this being much of a contest.

Does anyone think that Jennings will make it to Australia? He has failed miserably in this series, so the revolving door might have to continue at the top of the England order.

Re: Women's cricket, I think the standard of batting has seen a big improvement, with players exhibiting a wider array of shots and greater power. The next Ashes is just around the corner, so that might spark further interest in the game following a successful World Cup.

ETA: I don't know if a fully professional women's league is yet a possibility, but you'd think a funding pool of $55m would be a pretty decent baseline.

Yeah, I know a few wickets have fallen this morning but I think a 330+ score will be enough on this pitch and with England's attack. South Africa don't seem able to muster big scores in this series in general.

Argh, Bairstow out for 99. Still a great effort to put England in a pretty strong position now.

ETA: Bloody hell, the impact's probably about a millimetre in line to get the umpire's call on review. That's so unlucky.

Once again poor old Amla is in almost straight away. England can seal this series in the second session with a few more new ball wickets.

Bairstow fantastic. It's almost as if getting England a couple of wickets down is a mere formality - it's Root, Stokes, Bairstow and Ali that you have to worry about.

11 hours ago, Paxter said:

Does anyone think that Jennings will make it to Australia? He has failed miserably in this series, so the revolving door might have to continue at the top of the England order.

It seems unlikely, unless he gets a big score in the second innings I'd be surprised to see him in the squad for the Windies tests. Speculation seems to be either a recall for Hameed or a debut for Mark Stoneman.

Archived