Why would anyone follow Ellaria and the Sand Snakes? [Spoilers]

Angel Eyes

• 3 weeks later...
59 minutes ago, CaptainTheo said:

I can't think of any logical explanation for it at all. To me the whole thing is ridiculously contrived. They even broke guest right at the end of season #5 when they murdered Myrcella.

I forgot about that one. 

On 6/28/2017 at 5:37 PM, Angel Eyes said:

They're both usurpers and kinslayers. Unless you believe in "paying the iron price", they've broken two big taboos in Westeros.

It seems they will indeed pay some iron price soon. 

All of these taboos were broken already way before, that's what you get in a war and the aftermaths - declining human/society values. 

What surprised me is how everyone just didn't care when they killed their ruler and his heir (their own cousin), to avenge his own brother. They could've come up with something better. 

On 7/21/2017 at 7:15 PM, The Sunland Lord said:

It seems they will indeed pay some iron price soon. 

All of these taboos were broken already way before, that's what you get in a war and the aftermaths - declining human/society values. 

What surprised me is how everyone just didn't care when they killed their ruler and his heir (their own cousin), to avenge his own brother. They could've come up with something better. 

I've been wondering about that too. 

Why would anybody follow Cersei?

It seems D&D believe that medieval sucession laws are like modern inheritance laws... if there aren't kids, the spouse gets everything (and Ellaria wasn't even Oberyn's lawful wife).

Or maybe it is Discworld "Dead Man's Pointy Shoes Sucession" system: If you kill him, you get to fill his place...

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/28/2017 at 11:37 AM, Angel Eyes said:

They're both usurpers and kinslayers. Unless you believe in "paying the iron price", they've broken two big taboos in Westeros.

I wondered about all of that, too. I don't know if the show really articulates the reasoning; however, the books explain that the Dornish are crying for vengeance, and that Prince Doran is weak and apathetic. Oberyn was loved by the people. Doran felt that it wasn't murder (trial by combat) and wanted to maintain 'peaceful" relations with the crown... we knew that wasn't going to happen, though. Dorne has a long history of rebelling against the capital, so I think they were crying for justice and Ellaria promised that. 

My question is: Now that Ellaria and the 3 Sand Snakes are out of the picture, who is ruling Dorne? The Dornish army was never actually activated, right? 

Archived