GLOW...Just like that Women's Prison Show but with big hair and 80s tunes

generalzod

If you take Orange is the New Black, dilute it by a third, add some wrestling mats, and you have GLOW.

Comedian Mark Maron may be the best thing in it, as a coke-snorting low rent Roger Corman meets Vince McMahon. 

The other characters are just ok.  If OITNB is an A, this one's a B and proves that just being on Netflix (like HBO) all your reviews from critics are disproportionate raves.  Characters are solid, Alison Brie is likable ish but is too vanilla a straight woman.  And the other characters like "black stunt woman" "Ally Sheedy Wolf Girl" "Trust Fund New Yorker" and "Blonde Soap Actress" are all solid, but not as fresh as the OITNB cast.  This is "WiNGS" to OITNB's "Cheers"

Lots of third wave feminism at play, women owning their objectification and dropping C bombs. 

Minor point but, GLOW is set in the 1980s, but Alison Brie watches Hulk Hogan wrestle Ric Flair on TV.  Hulk Hogan never wrestled Ric Flair until 1991. 

It is a lot of fun, and nothing like OITNB apart from having a largely female cast. But I guess all these women-led female shows just become interchangeable to some people.

First episode is a bit weak but things pick up soon after.

Alison Brie's character is not a likeable straight vanilla girl. It's actually abundantly clear from the first episode that she's not especially likeable at all, and grows a lot through the season without making giant, unjustified changes in character. The other characters are all entertaining - and I mean both characters each of these women portray. I.e. The actual character and their wrestling persona. By the final episode I was very invested in the wrestling narratives they were running and cheering along with the crowd. I also had a huge smile on my face throughout, which is very telling. Some characters aren't looked at too much, but this is only a ten episode season at <40 minutes per episode. Some characters naturally get sidelined a bit, and will hopefully get some attention in later seasons.

Some very nice little surprises that kept things from being too predictable and maintained the freshness of the show. Loved the 80s costumes and make-up, the good and the bad :lol2: 

I liked Maron but don't think he was even close to the best part of the show. He did well in his role, but this show was all about the women, and each of them owned their roles. 

Hopeful for a season two. The show has a limited premise but there is at least another season of untapped material there

7 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

It is a lot of fun, and nothing like OITNB apart from having a largely female cast. But I guess all these women-led female shows just become interchangeable to some people.

First episode is a bit weak but things pick up soon after.

Alison Brie's character is not a likeable straight vanilla girl. It's actually abundantly clear from the first episode that she's not especially likeable at all, and grows a lot through the season without making giant, unjustified changes in character. The other characters are all entertaining - and I mean both characters each of these women portray. I.e. The actual character and their wrestling persona. By the final episode I was very invested in the wrestling narratives they were running and cheering along with the crowd. I also had a huge smile on my face throughout, which is very telling. Some characters aren't looked at too much, but this is only a ten episode season at <40 minutes per episode. Some characters naturally get sidelined a bit, and will hopefully get some attention in later seasons.

Some very nice little surprises that kept things from being too predictable and maintained the freshness of the show. Loved the 80s costumes and make-up, the good and the bad :lol2: 

I liked Maron but don't think he was even close to the best part of the show. He did well in his role, but this show was all about the women, and each of them owned their roles. 

Hopeful for a season two. The show has a limited premise but there is at least another season of untapped material there

It's from Jenji Kohan, same executive producer head writer of Orange is the New Black. Style of comedy is the same, hence the comparison. Like comparing Seinfeld to Curb your Enthusiasm. Nice sexist shot at me. Very classless and Trumpian. Do your homework. Beneath you.

Here's critics noticing that the comedic style of GLOW and ORANGE IS THE NEW BLACK, since its from the same head writer and executive producer Jenji Kohan, is comparable, compare the two shows from the SAME WRITER.

http://tvline.com/2017/06/12/glow-review-netflix-premiere-allison-brie-wrestling/

Here's a female critic saying it

http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/tv/tv-shows/glow-is-like-a-better-orange-is-the-new-black/news-story/6ef1194e37af83fca87d0823f02d67f1

"nothing like OITNB apart from having a largely female cast. But I guess all these women-led female shows just become interchangeable to some people."

Classy. 

I finished it last night. I liked it. It wasn't spectacular, but it was pretty good. I found myself more interested in the secondary characters than Debbie and Ruth, so I'm hoping we see more of them in Season 2.

3 hours ago, MisterOJ said:

I finished it last night. I liked it. It wasn't spectacular, but it was pretty good. I found myself more interested in the secondary characters than Debbie and Ruth, so I'm hoping we see more of them in Season 2.

Right? Agree. 

I didn't care for the first two episodes, but by the fourth I was really invested.  The final six were fantastic.  I loved when they revealed the plot of Sam's movie :lmao: 

I don't think I've liked Marc Maron in anything before this, but he killed it here.  

The Justine reveal was cliche as fuck though.

On 6/29/2017 at 9:08 AM, generalzod said:

It's from Jenji Kohan, same executive producer head writer of Orange is the New Black. Style of comedy is the same, hence the comparison. Like comparing Seinfeld to Curb your Enthusiasm. Nice sexist shot at me. Very classless and Trumpian. Do your homework. Beneath you.

But as far as I can tell, it's not.  IMDB lists Liz Flahive and Carly Mensch as the creators. Kohan has a writing credit on one episode and an executive producer credit on two (one of which was the episode she received the wiring credit).  So having her name on 20% of the season hardly qualifies it as being her show.  From doing my homework, it appears that Kohan's name and the little bit of work she did on it was solely to help get the show picked up.  Looks like you got an F on your assignment.

I highly recommend anyone who liked the show check out the 2012 documentary, which is also called GLOW and also available on Netflix (at least in the USA), interviewing wrestlers and the writer from the show in the 80s.  It's clear the show creators saw this doc and were inspired to write the series. I thought S1 of the series was great, and I like how there's a healthy dose of Mad Men alums in this cast. (That was Duck Phillips as Debbie's stepdad in the diner, right?) 

On 6/29/2017 at 2:57 PM, SpaceChampion said:

I'm going to watch it just for Alison Brie and Ellen Wong.

You'll show up for the Brie & Wong, but you'll stay for the Maron.

On 6/28/2017 at 9:44 PM, generalzod said:

...Minor point but, GLOW is set in the 1980s, but Alison Brie watches Hulk Hogan wrestle Ric Flair on TV.  Hulk Hogan never wrestled Ric Flair until 1991. 

Oh snap! First continuity correction. Whooo!

2 hours ago, PetyrPunkinhead said:

I highly recommend anyone who liked the show check out the 2012 documentary, which is also called GLOW and also available on Netflix (at least in the USA), interviewing wrestlers and the writer from the show in the 80s.  It's clear the show creators saw this doc and were inspired to write the series. I thought S1 of the series was great, and I like how there's a healthy dose of Mad Men alums in this cast. (That was Duck Phillips as Debbie's stepdad in the diner, right?) 

You'll show up for the Brie & Wong, but you'll stay for the Maron.

Oh snap! First continuity correction. Whooo!

Yep, they definitely saw the documentary. They talked about it a bit in interviews and stuff. They also had one of the original GLOW ladies to consult with. If you enjoy aftershows, AfterBuzz TV are doing a GLOW aftershow with "Little Egypt" hosting and other original GLOW girls, as well as (so far) cast members of this series. One of the better aftershows AB TV have done, lots of talk about how it was for the real GLOW girls, the wrestling experience etc. 

Eta: Betty Gilpin had an even better line when she was on her promo run for the show. Something along the lines of come for the Boobs stay for the story

1 hour ago, Channel4s-JonSnow said:

Got about 10 minutes in, didn't even recognise Alison Brie! 

But those first 10 minutes seemed to wear it's 'theres no jobs for girls' motif on its sleeve so heavily that I just rolled my eyes and turned it off. Didn't fancy a season of that.

Because that isn't at all accurate, sure. I don't think shows should have to mollycoddle the audience and disguise the reality of a situation. Wear it loud and proud.

Aside from that though, the audition scene doesn't reflect the rest of the season. It's just set-up for what drives Ruth to the audition for GLOW

• 9 months later...
2 hours ago, The BlackBear said:

Is this the GLOW thread? Because:

June the 29th

I've not watched the show, but Allison Brie in 80's tastitc work out clothes?  I'm in.

I'm glad Netflix is making more shows like this and American Vandal which are actually (relatively) cheap and fast to make, so we can actually get a new season out every year rather than constantly having to wait 18 months between seasons (or closer to three years, hi Daredevil). 

Archived