GLOW...Just like that Women's Prison Show but with big hair and 80s tunes

generalzod

I did like Season 1. (And it got me back in to wrestling.) But I did feel it was a little unfocused, some of the arcs a little wobbly. But it's still a hell of a lot better than most tv I saw in 2017. I plan to enjoy this.

Oh and just on a trope standpoint, it's nice to see the woman get cheated on and it be the trigger to her discovering her potential. 99 times out of 100 it's the other way: This is explained well in this video:

RIP Cracked YouTube.

• 2 months later...

Episode 5

Spoiler

FUCK.

And on a lighter note: Cherry and Keith Bang are perfect. SEXY VOODOO WOMAN!

Episode 6

Spoiler

Sam's turn is welcome but a bit abrupt.

Debbie not supporting Ruth was horrible, but the right way to play it.

11 hours ago, Mexal said:

Great season. Really enjoyed it. Episode 8 was one of the most entertaining episodes of TV I have watched this year. 

That was the actual tv episode right? I agree that was great.

i loved the whole season, don’t really have any criticisms tbh. The cast are amazing, I especially like Betty Gilpin’s repeated breakdowns (the furniture sale was especially memorable, as was her big fight with Ruth in the hospital). Alison Brie as Ruth was also great, giving an especially strong performance during the Harvey Weinstein scene. Marc Maron was great as ever, and I like the direction his character took. Sexist boorish asshole develops into someone with some actual nuance and feeling but who has no delusions about the fact that yeah he’s still bad at ‘emotions’ and caring. Like him admitting to Justine that nah he wouldn’t go visit her, but he had grown to care for her. Felt true to the character.

Carmen was another favourite of mine. Loved her getting to fight her brother in the finale.

Not trying to be obtuse, but is the implication that Florian had AIDS, hence the scrubbing of the house? I know I said I didn’t have any criticisms but actually I would have liked more time on that side of things.

really hope this gets renewed

19 hours ago, Mexal said:

Great season. Really enjoyed it. Episode 8 was one of the most entertaining episodes of TV I have watched this year. 

I also really liked this season -- thought it was a definite improvement on Season 1.  Episodes 6 through 8 were all really strong in different ways.

8 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

Not trying to be obtuse, but is the implication that Florian had AIDS, hence the scrubbing of the house?

Yes, I think this is pretty clear from Bash's phone call with the hospital in the previous episode.

3 hours ago, Theda Baratheon said:

The whole season was fucking excellent. Brilliant TV. I LOVE THIS SHOW!!!

It’s funny, while I was watching I found myself at times thinking “you know who I bet will be loving this?” :lol:

1 hour ago, Plessiez said:

I also really liked this season -- thought it was a definite improvement on Season 1.  Episodes 6 through 8 were all really strong in different ways.

Yes, I think this is pretty clear from Bash's phone call with the hospital in the previous episode.

Thought so, and yes I picked it up from the phone call too (“technically...pneumonia”). Just didn’t want to make incorrect assumptions. Also when I said more focus on this, I meant the relationship between Bash and Florian more generally, and life as a gay man.

I absolutely LOVED this season. The show-within-a-show episode was a genuine delight, and Mr. X and I have been yelling PIES OF RAGE at each other for the past week. :lol:

Re: Florian -- IMO the real key to knowing his cause of death was the line: "You may have trouble finding a funeral home that will take the body." Because that was a thing that happened. Recently the NYT has been running some amazing stories about these lesser-known (now) aspects of the 1980s AIDS epidemic. I am willing to bet that there was a lot of this storyline left on the cutting-room floor, which is a pity because I think it's worth exploring. That said, I'm glad that they made that call if it meant we got sufficient time with the wrestlers to tell their stories.

5 hours ago, Xray el Sicario said:

I absolutely LOVED this season. The show-within-a-show episode was a genuine delight, and Mr. X and I have been yelling PIES OF RAGE at each other for the past week. :lol:

Re: Florian -- IMO the real key to knowing his cause of death was the line: "You may have trouble finding a funeral home that will take the body." Because that was a thing that happened. Recently the NYT has been running some amazing stories about these lesser-known (now) aspects of the 1980s AIDS epidemic. I am willing to bet that there was a lot of this storyline left on the cutting-room floor, which is a pity because I think it's worth exploring. That said, I'm glad that they made that call if it meant we got sufficient time with the wrestlers to tell their stories.

How absolutely just GREAT was this season though? I’m going to rewatch it I think. It really brought me a lot of joy. I binged it all in one day and it was the best binge tv experiences I’ve had in a LONG time. No guilt. Just total enjoyment

31 minutes ago, Theda Baratheon said:

How absolutely just GREAT was this season though? I’m going to rewatch it I think. It really brought me a lot of joy. I binged it all in one day and it was the best binge tv experiences I’ve had in a LONG time. No guilt. Just total enjoyment

Same. Did a rewatch of the final two episodes with friends (they hadn't see them yet) and loved it the second time through too.

6 hours ago, Xray el Sicario said:

I have a feeling if this gets renewed (fingers crossed) we might see them look a bit more at the Bash/Florian/AIDS stuff.

i loved the Aerobic video during the show-within-a-show. Betty Gilpin is an absolute joy.

Another highlight was the episode where Kia Stevens got to shine (the contrast between her and Debbie in particular) didn’t realise/completely forgot she was the professional wrestler!

8 minutes ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I have a feeling if this gets renewed (fingers crossed) we might see them look a bit more at the Bash/Florian/AIDS stuff.

i loved the Aerobic video during the show-within-a-show. Betty Gilpin is an absolute joy.

Another highlight was the episode where Kia Stevens got to shine (the contrast between her and Debbie in particular) didn’t realise/completely forgot she was the professional wrestler!

That was episode 4 and I think it was probably the best episode of the season (not the most fun but objectively the best). I wish Kia Stevens got more focus as she's one of the most interesting characters on the show.

• 3 weeks later...

On 7/7/2018 at 9:10 AM, HelenaExMachina said:

It’s funny, while I was watching I found myself at times thinking “you know who I bet will be loving this?” :lol:

Thought so, and yes I picked it up from the phone call too (“technically...pneumonia”). Just didn’t want to make incorrect assumptions. Also when I said more focus on this, I meant the relationship between Bash and Florian more generally, and life as a gay man.

On 7/9/2018 at 1:59 AM, Xray the Enforcer said:

I thought it was really well handled if they wanted to acknowledge it without delving into it, but I said to Brook after watching it that I suspect it would go over the head of a lot of people that are younger than us. The impact of the AIDS epidemic is something that's really hard to convey to people that didn't live through it and I'm all for trying to keep memory of that alive even when it's subtle. 

Helena - I don't think Bash and Florian ever even had sex, so I don't think there is so much to explore there. I absolutely think Bash is gay and they were in love, but he's too repressed to confront it and that shows itself when he realised Florian had been going to a gay bar. I'm positive him confronting that reality will be part of the ongoing story though, as lightly as they touched Florian's death.

Archived