Could the North, Stannis,& Aegon team up?

I've been thinking that Stannis might actually be willing to compromise with Aegon. There's a precedent in history of a foreigner to a country being chosen as a king's heir. This happened with the founder of the current ruling house of Sweden: House Bernadotte. The founder was Charles XIV John of Sweden, but he was born a Frenchman named Jean Bernadotte. King Charles XIII of Sweden had no heir, so he chose Bernadotte in 1810. Now, would Stannis be willing to make such a compromise with Aegon who he'll initially see a foreigner with no claim? There's differences between the two cases of coarse since the House of Bernadotte was a brand new dynasty whereas the Targaryen dynasty is an old one that Stannis helped defeat. However, when push comes to shove I think he'll be winning  to compromise with Aegon, but not necessarily bend the knee. There's two ways this sisuation could work out: 

1. Stannis makes Aegon his heir and marries him to Shireen. This would parallel the War of the Roses in which Shireen is Elizabeth of York and Aegon is Henry Tudor. This marriage ends the dynastic feud between the Yorks and Lancasters aka Baratheons and Targaryens, respectively. This situation also parallels how Orys, who was rumored to be a Targaryen bastard, married Argella Durrendon. 

2. Stannis marries Shireen to Rickon to solidify the North's support. This would fulfill Robert's dream of joining the two families together. Aegon becomes Stannis' heir, and he marries let's say Sansa or Arya, further solidifying the North's support.

Although, he already basically  has the North backing him, I think both him and the North may realize if they want to beat Daenerys' dragons, they will not only need to work together, they will need to ally with another enemy so they have less opposition and more support. The North is vital to beating Dany since they have weirdwoods. Having Aegon on their side instead of against them would be crucial. 

All in all, I think Stannis would be more willing to team up with Aegon rather than Dany since he could have sexist leanings. In addition, Aegon is not a product of incest, at least not directly like Dany is. Stannis is an asshole but also prides himself in being a man of the law. He most likely would have agreeed with Ned on how the brutal murder of Elia and her children was abhorrent, and that the Mountain, the guy who killed Rhaenys (forget his name) and perhaps even Tywin  who ordered the crimes in the first place should be prosecuted. Perhaps, Stannis would have some sympathy for Aegon because of his brother's injustice, and be willing to team up with him? We know he really didn't like Robert, and I think this is because of his dishornable behavior towards him and others.

Note: I haven't read ADWD so some of the info could be off.

Nope for Stannis. Quite possible for Jon and Aegon though.

As an aside I imagine an ironic conversation with Aegon casting doubts that Jon is his brother..." I don't know, you don't exactly look like a Targaryen."

7 hours ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

1. Stannis makes Aegon his heir and marries him to Shireen.

I am a fan of Shireen+Aegon myself. For more or less the same reasons you give.

After all at some point Shireen has to marry somebody.  Same with fAegon.

The main benefit is that - on a strategic level - it combines the two claims to the IT.

One enemy fewer.

On a tactical level it gives Stannis an army in the south while Aegon gains the vested support of somebody with insider knowledge of the goings-on in Westeros. After almost 20 years in exile Jon Connington can be said to be "out of touch".

However, I would change the accents of the match from

Stannis makes Aegon his heir and marries him to Shireen

To "Stannis marries fAegon to his heir, Shireen".

20 minutes ago, The Bear Who Knocks said:

Not a chance with all the bad blood and whats going on now.

There is no "never" or "impossible" in politics. The Soviet Union and Nazi Germany allied and launched World War II, remember?

In ASOIAF, with all the bad blood etc. Dorne agreed to a match involving Myrcella.

16 minutes ago, TMIFairy said:

There is no "never" or "impossible" in politics. The Soviet Union and Nazi Germany allied and launched World War II, remember?

In ASOIAF, with all the bad blood etc. Dorne agreed to a match involving Myrcella.

Apples and Oranges

Stalin was one of the very first people to sound alert about Hitler's menace. Unfortunately the allies saw fit to appease Hitler as he was seen as the hammer that will crush the Soviet Union annihilating both regimes into oblivion. Under such circumstances Stalin made a pact with Hitler to buy time and create a buffer zone between Russia and the more technological advanced Germany. That worked well for the land hungry Germany + it placed the ball in the allies court. If they wished to stop Germany then they better not expect the Russians to do their bidding.

The situation here is different. Both Aegon and Stannis are in desperate need of troops as their army is simply too small to go toe to toe against the Lannisters. They are also separated by kilometers of enemy territory making any alliance virtually impossible. Aegon also happen to have usurped the Stormlands from the Baratheons which makes him their natural enemy. 

The most probably matchup is a marriage between Shireen and Rickon. That will bring the North behind Stannis and against the Boltons. If Aegon does manage to sit on the IT then I won't exlude a GOT version of the Molotov–Ribbentrop Pact between Danny and Stannis. A blackfyre on the IT will be too much for a pure bred Targ to handle. Same thing about Stannis who will see a dragon spawn, taking his crown by using Stormland's (ie Baratheon) troops 

9 hours ago, Fishb20 said:

@Coolbeard the Exile

its only been 20 years since the targaryeans were removed

assuming another targaryean (or blackfyre) takes over soon, then the reign of the baratheons (and the entirety of the war of five kings) would only be seen as a small blip in history 

Hmm it might be only seen as a small blip in history. 

They can't link up geography wise, they probably about half a year away due to it being Winter as well and the heart of the opposition is in the middle. Varys probably has something up his sleeve and the Iron Bank probably has something up their sleeve well. So you never know... 

But I'm pretty confident the sensible option for Aegon is with Dorne... 

Houses Baratheon and Targaryen are exclusive end goals. I would say that they could make some kind of coordination against the Baratheons in King's Landing but there's no way that they can join forces in a marriage. The North may go with either way if they drop the separatist thing though.

2 hours ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

They can't link up geography wise, they probably about half a year away due to it being Winter as well and the heart of the opposition is in the middle. Varys probably has something up his sleeve and the Iron Bank probably has something up their sleeve well. So you never know... 

But Dorne will already side with Aegon as he is Dornish. Aegon needs new friends who share a potential foe with him: Stannis+North. How will be able to defeat Dany's dragons without weirwood arrows? This would very intresting plot wise because not only would see the second Dance of the Dragons, but also ice vs. fire. The North bent the knee to the dragons once, perhaps now they'll team up with a metaphorical dragon (Aegon) to the fight new dragons coming to Westeros.

2 hours ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

The opposition in the middle? The Riverlands are allied with the North,despite the Freys being in power now.  I get the feeling they'll be defeated. Plus, this the North a reason to team up with Aegon. He and Dorne can help liberate the Riverlands as part of his campaign.

2 hours ago, LionoftheWest said:

Houses Baratheon and Targaryen are exclusive end goals. I would say that they could make some kind of coordination against the Baratheons in King's Landing but there's no way that they can join forces in a marriage. The North may go with either way if they drop the separatist thing though.

If they're willing to team up to fight a common enemy wouldn't they be willing to enter a marriage pact once the aforementioned enemy is dealt with? This is what happened in the War of the Roses except there was no strategic team-up, so a marriage alliance is actually more natural in this case. 

10 hours ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

If they're willing to team up to fight a common enemy wouldn't they be willing to enter a marriage pact once the aforementioned enemy is dealt with? This is what happened in the War of the Roses except there was no strategic team-up, so a marriage alliance is actually more natural in this case. 

The problem I see is that both Stannis and Aegon wants to be king and I don't think from what I've seen so far that either guy will settle for second place. In regards to Stannis he's already killed Renly over the whole deal of not wanting to play second fiddle, and Aegon has JonCon whispering in his ear (to be joined by Arianne?) and been raised to re-establish House Targaryen on the Iron Throne. I don't really see a scenario where either side will say: "Fuck it, you can have the throne, I'll step down." Thus as soon as the Lannisters are gone, or even before that, the two of them are likely to come to blows with each other.

12 hours ago, thewolfofStarfall said:

But Dorne will already side with Aegon as he is Dornish. Aegon needs new friends who share a potential foe with him: Stannis+North. How will be able to defeat Dany's dragons without weirwood arrows? This would very intresting plot wise because not only would see the second Dance of the Dragons, but also ice vs. fire. The North bent the knee to the dragons once, perhaps now they'll team up with a metaphorical dragon (Aegon) to the fight new dragons coming to Westeros.

Is it proven that weirwood arrows could kill a dragon? Secondly the North has troubled history with the dragons. If they want to bent the knee to a dragon again why they have to team up with a Targaryen without dragons. The North will benefit more by allying with Dany than Aegon. 

with stannis nope even when everyone was telling to combine with his own brother to wipe out the Lannisters he said Nope. He will not be naming a Targ his heir especially one that has taken storms end and will not take the south my storm much like the iron born. Stannis doesn't like rival (very sith like i know)

Archived