I would bet money the Shade of the Evening Tree does this...

50 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

I love this idea, and was convinced myself until I realized we've already seen petrified Evening Trees... Ebony... like the chairs in the house of the undying, made of Weirwood and Ebony.

Also, I don't think the Evening Trees are an "evil" Weirwood... just a tree of a different color. I don't see any reason to think there is a difference besides the color.

The idea that the Oily Black stone (as seen in Ashai or Oldtown) is made from the Evening Trees still isn't impossible, but I'm not as convinced/in love with the idea as I was at first. 

I would point out one other odd detail, Pryatt Pree collapses into a "pale" wormlike creature in the House of the Undying... would you have expected this to be a dark colored wormlike creature if the Evening trees are so distinct from Weirwoods?

Hey LiveFirst!  Ebony isn't at the stage of being petrified wood. Remember, Tytos Blackwood states it takes a few thousand years for weirwood to petrify.  While the only ebony I have seen has been in pictures, I do know that ebony is still at the stage of still being wood. 

I would suggest that was not Pree in the vision.  If you recall, the vision of Pree was showing Dany the actual way out.  Many speculate that was bloodraven trying to get Dany out of there because when.  Once inside (after not heading the advise to leave) the undying which are much like Greenseers turned blue by the Evening trees try to overtake her.  We know the vision of Pree was giving solid advice because Danny was able to escape using the same door the Pree vision was telling her to use.  The real Pree was trying to get her in the house since he met her.

8 minutes ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

Hey LiveFirst!  Ebony isn't at the stage of being petrified wood. Remember, Tytos Blackwood states it takes a few thousand years for weirwood to petrify.  While the only ebony I have seen has been in pictures, I do know that ebony is still at the stage of still being wood. 

I would suggest that was not Pree in the vision.  If you recall, the vision of Pree was showing Dany the actual way out.  Many speculate that was bloodraven trying to get Dany out of there because when.  Once inside (after not heading the advise to leave) the undying which are much like Greenseers turned blue by the Evening trees try to overtake her.  We know the vision of Pree was giving solid advice because Danny was able to escape using the same door the Pree vision was telling her to use.  The real Pree was trying to get her in the house since he met her.

It's not clear to me that the Ebony here is the same as real world ebony... just like Weirwood isn't just wood.

I suspect that ebony in the House of White and Black is made from the Evening Trees, Essos's Weirwood equivalent.

But back to Pree for a second because I'm not sure we are on the same page...

you think this was good advise... And that Dany listened?

She walked away from him, to the door on the right.
"No," Pyat screeched. "No, to me, come to me, to meeeeeee." His face crumbled inward, changing to something pale and wormlike.

Clearly there is some confusion... or I'm missing something

20 minutes ago, LiveFirstDieLater said:

It's not clear to me that the Ebony here is the same as real world ebony... just like Weirwood isn't just wood.

I suspect that ebony in the House of White and Black is made from the Evening Trees, Essos's Weirwood equivalent.

But back to Pree for a second because I'm not sure we are on the same page...

you think this was good advise... And that Dany listened?

Clearly there is some confusion... or I'm missing something

No, she didn't listen and she almost died because of it.  The advise the Pree vision was giving was a good.  Instead she didn't take it and remembered what the real Pree told her and she stayed on the course which almost led to her death.  That wasn't Pree, it was someone trying to help her because the door he showed her was the same door she was able to use to finally escape. 

10 minutes ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

That wasn't Pree, it was someone trying to help her because the door he showed her was the same door she was able to use to finally escape. 

And also the same door she used to enter :

When they reached the doora tall oval mouth, set in a wall fashioned in the likeness of a human face

with fake Pree :

When she stopped, she found herself in yet another dank stone chamber . . . but this time the door opposite was round, shaped like an open mouth, and Pyat Pree stood outside in the grass beneath the trees

when she escapes :

She kept her feet and ran faster, and suddenly the door was there ahead of her, a door like an open mouth.

Another point for the false Pree trying to save Dany is Drogon's reaction : he shows absolutely no defiance, nor fear, nor agressivity with him. The opposite of his others reactions inside the HOTU

19 minutes ago, Crowfood's Daughter said:

No, she didn't listen and she almost died because of it.  The advise the Pree vision was giving was a good.  Instead she didn't take it and remembered what the real Pree told her and she stayed on the course which almost led to her death.  That wasn't Pree, it was someone trying to help her because the door he showed her was the same door she was able to use to finally escape. 

What she was seeing wasn't "real"...

When she leaves there are no paths besides the long hallway. The rooms are meant to lead her off the path...

I don't understand why you think Bloodraven wouldn't want her getting to the Heartroom, she survives, and he's supposed to be prescient right? Was he trying to save the Undying but can't see the future? Is that your idea?

This just doesn't make any sense to me...

On 11/3/2017 at 6:18 AM, Crowfood's Daughter said:

Yep, I am for sure smelling what you are stepping in.  I would argue that Garth and the Grey king were separate, but contemporary of one another.  I have a post you might be interested in. 

I have seen that idea before and will definitely have to look at what you have put down and it may be the case as the Grey King is mentioned to have had a loyal older brother. Though i think their legends are too linked to be separate, but let me read you stuff and then we can discuss further :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pyat Pree’s face crumbled inward, turning pale and wormlike.  So maybe the tree isn’t totally corrupted.  Also why is it referred to as a heart tree?  The Undying have a beating heart above them. So are they undying because they used magic to manipulate the heart of the heart tree.  I thought maybe they were like greenseers but they aren’t deteriorating like Bloodraven. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived