did jaime really mean it when he said he would kill tyrion?

snow is the man

7 hours ago, snow is the man said:

When jaime and bron are heading to dorne and bron says give him my regards if you see him again. Then jaime says he will cut him in two the next time he saw him.  I don't think jaime really meant it but what does everyone else think?

Frankly, I think Jaime just meant it as a figure of speech, an expression of how VERY upset he was at Tyrion.  I would NEVER use such language as a "figure of speech," but some people do (which I really dislike and think is inappropriate, but I doubt Jaime cares what I think)

Here, let me ask you this:  What odds would you place on Jaime actually crossing Tyrion off the next time he sees him?  I say 1 in 1,000,000, maybe less.  Jaime is not gonna do that. 

19 hours ago, Cron said:

Frankly, I think Jaime just meant it as a figure of speech, an expression of how VERY upset he was at Tyrion.  I would NEVER use such language as a "figure of speech," but some people do (which I really dislike and think is inappropriate, but I doubt Jaime cares what I think)

Here, let me ask you this:  What odds would you place on Jaime actually crossing Tyrion off the next time he sees him?  I say 1 in 1,000,000, maybe less.  Jaime is not gonna do that. 

I know he won't kill him the next time they meet. I meant it like does jaime really want to kill tyrion

4 hours ago, snow is the man said:

I know he won't kill him the next time they meet. I meant it like does jaime really want to kill tyrion

I honestly don't think Jaime even "wants" to kill Tyrion.  I think Jaime is really angry about it, and what he said was just a highly inappropriate figure of speech.

Obviously, Jaime and Tyrion are VERY close, as I'm sure you know.  My guess is that the next time they see each other, Jaime will express his outrage at what Tyrion did, and I think even though Jaime will never AGREE with Tyrion that it was the "right" thing to do, Jaime will understand it, and won't cross Tyrion off for it.  Jaime knows perfectly well that Tywin treated Tyrion poorly pretty much his entire life, up to and including the trial which could have cost Tyrion his life.  I think when Jaime hears about the stuff between Tywin and Shae, Jaime will at least understand (but not agree with) what Tyrion did.

Not a chance Jaime wants to actually kill Tyrion.  Like his raping Cersei in S4 and his odd chat with Edmure in S6, this line really jumped out at me too when he said it in S5.  I think the producers are just trying to stall Jaime's redemption and make it more "surprising" when he does something noble.

3 hours ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Not a chance Jaime wants to actually kill Tyrion.  Like his raping Cersei in S4 and his odd chat with Edmure in S6, this line really jumped out at me too when he said it in S5.  I think the producers are just trying to stall Jaime's redemption and make it more "surprising" when he does something noble.

Actually according to the people who playjaime and cersei they say that the scene where he and cersei  are in the sept was filmed and done badly and it was supposed to just be sex.  I think that that is true because they seemed to want to do it close to the book for that scene. Also I think it was brutal but not neccaserily "bad" that he threatened edmure with that. The real question  was would he have done it. I don't think he would have.

41 minutes ago, snow is the man said:

Actually according to the people who playjaime and cersei they say that the scene where he and cersei  are in the sept was filmed and done badly and it was supposed to just be sex.  I think that that is true because they seemed to want to do it close to the book for that scene. Also I think it was brutal but not neccaserily "bad" that he threatened edmure with that. The real question  was would he have done it. I don't think he would have.

His threatening to put Edmure's child in a trebuchet and catapult him into Riverrun wasn't what upset me (that happened in the books) but rather his talking about how he would do anything for Cersei.  Good to know from the actors that the S4 rape wasn't intended as such.

43 minutes ago, Lucius Lovejoy said:

His threatening to put Edmure's child in a trebuchet and catapult him into Riverrun wasn't what upset me (that happened in the books) but rather his talking about how he would do anything for Cersei.  Good to know from the actors that the S4 rape wasn't intended as such.

Well he did push bran out a window without a second thought because bran saw them together. Although I think he will be far less enthusiastic about her now that she essentially pulled a mad king move.

Jaime isn't going to harm Tyrion.  He will find out that Olenna Tyrell was the person who killed Joffrey, which will clear Tyrion's name and I believe Jaime will understand at that point (even though he knew Tyrion didn't kill Joff) why Tyrion did everything he did.  I also believe Jaime will be so disgusted with Cersei at this point because of what she did with the wildfyre and who she intends on marrying that I firmly believe Jaime will kill Cersei and then himself......eventually.  

9 hours ago, SerJeremiahLouistark said:

Jaime isn't going to harm Tyrion.  He will find out that Olenna Tyrell was the person who killed Joffrey, which will clear Tyrion's name and I believe Jaime will understand at that point (even though he knew Tyrion didn't kill Joff) why Tyrion did everything he did.  I also believe Jaime will be so disgusted with Cersei at this point because of what she did with the wildfyre and who she intends on marrying that I firmly believe Jaime will kill Cersei and then himself......eventually.  

Judging by the look he had on his face  when he saw cersei sitting on the throne after she blew the sept apart he is already disgusted by her. I think he will stick around just because he is a lannister and he can't go against his house. My theory is that she  is gonna order someone to destroy kings landing like king aery's was going to and jaime will kill her bringing it all full circle. Or she will do it and jaime will be somewhere else and hear about it and go north to fight the WW and then survivie and likely drink himself to death in despair.

On 7/6/2017 at 8:31 PM, Lucius Lovejoy said:

Jaime was BLUFFING Edmure.

Watch that scene again. Jaime starts out by trying to talk to Edmure reasonably, and trying to find common ground between them, but Edmure won't listen to it, he believes Jaime is a monster, and won't believe a word coming out of Jaime's mouth.

So Jaime uses "persuasive judo," using Edmure's own conviction (strength) that Jaime is a monster AGAINST Edmure, by telling Edmure things Edmure WILL believe, bluffing Edmure into believing Jaime will do monstrous things if Edmure doesn't do what Jaime says.  The stuff about putting Edmure's kid in a catapult was a LIE, and so was Jaime's claim that he would do anything for Cersei in order to get back to her soon.

And it WORKS.  Edmure capitulates, and gives Jaime EXACTLY what Jaime wants, which is Edmure handing over Riverrun with NO BLOODSHED, exactly what Brienne requested of Jaime.

In sum, the scene was masterful, the actors were brilliant (Edmure and Jaime), and the it was one of Jaime's finest moments in the entire series.

Jaime BLUFFED Edmure, and Edmure bought it, hook, line and sinker.

6 hours ago, RhaenysB said:

No, he obviously didn't mean it. Jaime wouldn't be able to kill Tyrion. 

I agree completely.  I believe Jaime only "meant" it as a very inappropriate figure of speech, to express how VERY upset he is at Tyrion.

3 hours ago, Cron said:

I agree completely.  I believe Jaime only "meant" it as a very inappropriate figure of speech, to express how VERY upset he is at Tyrion.

Yeah, exactly. 

And don't we ALL say stuff like that to and about our siblings? :dunno: I'm going to freaking kill you the next time you take my favorite dress without asking...? is that just a girl thing? So yeah, Jaime is just mad at Tyrion. 

And I get that it's different from the mouth of a knight with actual weapons than from the mouth of modern day siblings quarreling in the living room. Still, I'm pretty sure Jaime didn't mean it and he wouldn't be able to hurt Tyrion no matter how pissed off he is. 

1 hour ago, RhaenysB said:

Yeah, exactly. 

And don't we ALL say stuff like that to and about our siblings? :dunno: I'm going to freaking kill you the next time you take my favorite dress without asking...? is that just a girl thing? So yeah, Jaime is just mad at Tyrion. 

And I get that it's different from the mouth of a knight with actual weapons than from the mouth of modern day siblings quarreling in the living room. Still, I'm pretty sure Jaime didn't mean it and he wouldn't be able to hurt Tyrion no matter how pissed off he is. 

Right.  I can honestly say that I myself do NOT use the word "kill" like that, but I understand LOTS of people do.  They use the word when they obviously do NOT literally mean what they are saying (I avoid that myself b/c (a) I think it's very inappropriate, a very extreme exaggeration which would likely be harmful and offensive to the person it is said to, and (b) I try to be MUCH more precise in the words I use, whether I'm thinking, speaking, or writing.  To me, to do otherwise is very sloppy language, and I tend to be much more literal.  I try hard to "say what I mean, and mean what I say," especially if I'm talking about such a serious subject like "why I'm upset with someone I'm close to")

For Jaime, I believe what he said was "expressive hyperbole."  Dunno if Bronn believed him or not...probably not.  Bronn knows both Tyrion and Jaime very well, and I assume he has a very good idea about how close they are.

On 7/8/2017 at 0:03 PM, Cron said:

Jaime was BLUFFING Edmure.

Watch that scene again. Jaime starts out by trying to talk to Edmure reasonably, and trying to find common ground between them, but Edmure won't listen to it, he believes Jaime is a monster, and won't believe a word coming out of Jaime's mouth.

So Jaime uses "persuasive judo," using Edmure's own conviction (strength) that Jaime is a monster AGAINST Edmure, by telling Edmure things Edmure WILL believe, bluffing Edmure into believing Jaime will do monstrous things if Edmure doesn't do what Jaime says.  The stuff about putting Edmure's kid in a catapult was a LIE, and so was Jaime's claim that he would do anything for Cersei in order to get back to her soon.

And it WORKS.  Edmure capitulates, and gives Jaime EXACTLY what Jaime wants, which is Edmure handing over Riverrun with NO BLOODSHED, exactly what Brienne requested of Jaime.

In sum, the scene was masterful, the actors were brilliant (Edmure and Jaime), and the it was one of Jaime's finest moments in the entire series.

Jaime BLUFFED Edmure, and Edmure bought it, hook, line and sinker.

I agree. Although I don't think he's fully changed, I do think he only took on the old role as a way to intimidate. I agree, I don't think he would do that tothe baby.

But I do think he's still struggling with severing his devotion to Cersei, he's still conflicted and attached. 

1 hour ago, Raeslewolhn said:

I agree. Although I don't think he's fully changed, I do think he only took on the old role as a way to intimidate. I agree, I don't think he would do that tothe baby.

But I do think he's still struggling with severing his devotion to Cersei, he's still conflicted and attached. 

Yeah, I think you're right about Jaime's feelings towards Cersei at that point in time.  I think he was exaggerating (a lot) when he talked to Edmure about Cersei, but still, I think you're right that at that point in the show he's still conflicted about it.   In the books, by this point, I think it's clear that Jaime has already broken away from Cersei, ever since he threw that letter from her in th fire.

8 hours ago, Cron said:

Yeah, I think you're right about Jaime's feelings towards Cersei at that point in time.  I think he was exaggerating (a lot) when he talked to Edmure about Cersei, but still, I think you're right that at that point in the show he's still conflicted about it.   In the books, by this point, I think it's clear that Jaime has already broken away from Cersei, ever since he threw that letter from her in th fire.

well to be fair in the books he finds out about her sleeping with everyone. I think if tyrion had told jaime this it would help jaime see clearly. Because unlike robert she didn't "need" to sleep with them.

Archived