Why Aegon chose a new capital?

Sanrast

I am reading the book. And altough many at that time thought that he would rule from Oldtown or Dragonstone, he surprised them making by making a new city that was recently has formed, as the capital (King's Landing). Why you think he did that? My personaly thought was because of personaly legacy. We see even in our history of some rulers who built new cities.

Location. Location. And once again - location.

It is at the mouth of one of the two major water systems of central Westeros (or central-south, if you wish). Going up Blackwater Rush takes you into the southern Riverlands and into the eastern Reach. Just across the river - you have the Stormlands. You take a ship north and you get to the mouth of the Trident (also relatively close by road) and the ports of the Vale.

A nice central location, with good sea, river and land routes to four of the nine kingdoms (and sitting on top of the newly created fifth). Dorne and the North are distant, but still accessible by sea. And are not that important for the control of Westeros. These two are outliers.

The Westerlands can be reached across the Reach and Rverlands, both river systems - the Trident and Blackwater Rush providing a convenient route west.

Only the Iron Islands, arguably the least important (albeit capable of being an irritant) Kingdom is hard to reach from KL.

And KL itself - while still granting access into the hinterland - can still be accessed (read - supplied during a siege) by sea. Blocking the river is not possible - the estuary is too wide - only a proper fleet can block the city from seaward.

All in all - an ideal location :)

Maidenpool or Saltpans would be almost as good. The mouth of the Trident might even be better if the Vale needed a closer eye on it.

The trade off versus Maidenpool is that KL provides that "closer eye" on the Stormlands and Reach and better access to the Westerlands, with same (minimally worse) control over the Riverlands and inferior (but not that much) to the Vale. 

So, have I said - ideal location :D?

Also, since he intended to conquer all of Westeros, he had to have a seat that would be bigger and better than all the other kingdoms. Sure, he could just boot someone out of their castle and add on to it, but it would be much grander if he founded his own capital city -- one that would be uniquely Targaryen.

I suppose the "personal legacy" aspect was a consideration in using that site for KL instead of Harrenhall. Harrenhall was selected for pretty much the same reason - a central location to keep central Westeros under control.

But Harrenhall was:

1 - ruined

2 - built by somebody else

3 - can be cut off from the sea

4 - more distant from the expected to be always-loyal (and serving as refuge if the Continent rebelled) Dragonstone and Driftmark

Hello!

I would agree with location and legacy.

You've reminded me of another thought I've had now and again-- I apologize if I missed this elsewhere, but can we expect something more from the uncharted territories?

Could our characters in ASOIAF discover the world is round, rather than flat?  Could we see a "land bridge" connecting Essos and Westeros? Could we stumble upon an entirely new, unadulterated, continent?

I would think that, with the return of dragons, longer journeys are possible. Maybe the Targaryens of yore didn't care to push the limits of exploration-- especially once they got comfortable ruling Westeros. Perhaps Dany will be the first Targaryen to truly explore the world? Initially, she was intent on the Iron Throne, but her journey in Essos already shows she's destined for something other than her ancestors- unless the White Walkers take over the entire world.

The Doom of Valyria forced the Targaryens elsewhere. Perhaps The Doom of Westeros is inevitable? Will Dany lead them to a new land-- which men will end up destroying somehow anyways? We know the White Walkers were created in a direct response to man's "war" with Nature/ The Children of the Forest.

I've never joined a message board, so forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly! I miss my analytical literature classes, and thought this would be a great way to connect with other like-minded folks. I'm happy to be here!

13 hours ago, Reisendame said:

I've never joined a message board, so forgive me if I'm not doing this correctly! I miss my analytical literature classes, and thought this would be a great way to connect with other like-minded folks. I'm happy to be here!

Welcome to the board. You are doing fine.

But IMO you should start a new thread - here or in the general section.

So that others would know of your question - "will the known world be expanded?"

• 1 month later...
On 7/6/2017 at 8:13 PM, TMIFairy said:

It is at the mouth of one of the two major water systems of central Westeros (or central-south, if you wish). Going up Blackwater Rush takes you into the southern Riverlands and into the eastern Reach. Just across the river - you have the Stormlands. You take a ship north and you get to the mouth of the Trident (also relatively close by road) and the ports of the Vale.

A nice central location, with good sea, river and land routes to four of the nine kingdoms (and sitting on top of the newly created fifth). Dorne and the North are distant, but still accessible by sea. And are not that important for the control of Westeros. These two are outliers.

The Westerlands can be reached across the Reach and Rverlands, both river systems - the Trident and Blackwater Rush providing a convenient route west.

Only the Iron Islands, arguably the least important (albeit capable of being an irritant) Kingdom is hard to reach from KL.

And KL itself - while still granting access into the hinterland - can still be accessed (read - supplied during a siege) by sea. Blocking the river is not possible - the estuary is too wide - only a proper fleet can block the city from seaward.

Maidenpool or Saltpans would be almost as good. The mouth of the Trident might even be better if the Vale needed a closer eye on it.

The trade off versus Maidenpool is that KL provides that "closer eye" on the Stormlands and Reach and better access to the Westerlands, with same (minimally worse) control over the Riverlands and inferior (but not that much) to the Vale. 

I like your points, and would add one major one to this strategic thinking: He still has Dragonstone to be a Naval protector for Blackwater Bay. And that makes the idea of attacking from the sea seem even more formidable.

Also, the idea to be closer to actual farmland, and to not have depend on boats to feed his main garrison and the Government that he would want to establish could be factored into such a decision. 

However, my gut reaction is also that a person with a dragon, two sisters with dragons, and an army wouldn't have even entertained the idea that he could be conquered, so his reasoning could easily be sheer whimsy, or more room to grow and maybe create a new Freehold.  

On 7/6/2017 at 7:13 PM, TMIFairy said:

Really good, covered everything I would have said. 

I'll add, as a trade city and home of important, and valuable individuals, they probably view being so far from the iron islands as a bonus. 

Also Dragonstone is essentially a massive shield island for the city. 

Archived