It's Brienne...

Lost Melnibonean

14 hours ago, goomba said:

Ah hahaha, Brienne, yes!

The GPS of Westeros, finder of improbable things, the conqueror of hounds, she who watches towers, and fetcher of uncles, and now Cersei's bane! :D

I haven't even read the OP yet and I can tell you that your mirth is misplaced. Brienne is a serious contender. 

9 hours ago, The Weirwoods Eyes said:

I haven't even read the OP yet and I can tell you that your mirth is misplaced. Brienne is a serious contender. 

I haven't read the OP yet either and I too, believe Brienne - Queen of convenience, Slayer of good dialogue, is a serious contender as well :) 

23 hours ago, goomba said:

Ah hahaha, Brienne, yes!

The GPS of Westeros, finder of improbable things, the conqueror of hounds, she who watches towers, and fetcher of uncles, and now Cersei's bane! :D

When did this happen to Brienne? For instance, which book did she watch a tower???? Just curious. And which uncle are you referring to? 

44 minutes ago, The Fattest Leech said:

When did this happen to Brienne? For instance, which book did she watch a tower???? Just curious. And which uncle are you referring to? 

She was watching a tower in the show i think, during the beggining of the battle of bastards but i think it was just briefly

and i think she was looking for a Tully, one of the uncles of the starks but again i kinda just vagule remember this :D 

16 minutes ago, goomba said:

She was watching a tower in the show i think, during the beggining of the battle of bastards but i think it was just briefly

What 'battle of bastards' is this of which you speak? Which book is this in? I'm confused. 

16 minutes ago, goomba said:

and i think she was looking for a Tully, one of the uncles of the starks but again i kinda just vagule remember this :D 

I kinda just don't remember this at all. It might help narrow it down if you perchance know what book or chapter this happens in, then maybe we can go from there. 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

Was wondering too. I don't recall anything even remotely similar to any of that. 

1 hour ago, The Fattest Leech said:

When did this happen to Brienne? For instance, which book did she watch a tower????

Depending on the refractive properties of the bathwater, perhaps here...

A Storm of Swords - Jaime V

"Does the sight of my stump distress you so?" Jaime asked. "You ought to be pleased. I've lost the hand I killed the king with. The hand that flung the Stark boy from that tower. The hand I'd slide between my sister's thighs to make her wet." He thrust his stump at her face. "No wonder Renly died, with you guarding him."

She jerked to her feet as if he'd struck her, sending a wash of hot water across the tub. Jaime caught a glimpse of the thick blonde bush at the juncture of her thighs as she climbed out. She was much hairier than his sister. Absurdly, he felt his cock stir beneath the bathwater. Now I know I have been too long away from Cersei. He averted his eyes, troubled by his body's response. "That was unworthy," he mumbled. "I'm a maimed man, and bitter. Forgive me, wench. You protected me as well as any man could have, and better than most."

She wrapped her nakedness in a towel. "Do you mock me?"

Definitely Cersei's bane.  ;)

10 minutes ago, goomba said:

In the show she was staring at a tower, doesn't anyone remember? :D 

Everyone does know what you were referring to. But the show is very different from the books, especially so around Brienne's character. And this is the book discussion part of the forum. Since the show is now passed the books, you are not meant to discuss the show here just in case there is a spoiler (although no chance of the books going down the shows path with Brienne imo)

30 minutes ago, goomba said:

In the show she was staring at a tower, doesn't anyone remember? :D 

No, I don't. I soaked my brain in lye just so there'd be no memories of things like that. 

You might want to check this out:

Just now, goomba said:

All i said was that it was in the show, it's you guys who keep asking me where in the show it happened  xD

No, you misunderstood us. We were being sarcastic, saying we don't remember anything that outrageously absurd ever happening in the books. ;)

10 hours ago, goomba said:

I haven't read the OP yet either and I too, believe Brienne - Queen of convenience, Slayer of good dialogue, is a serious contender as well :) 

Welcome to the forum. :) Small hint. If you are going to comment I'd recommend both reading the OP's and the books and not mentioning the show in the book forums.  As to Brienne, I would never call her convenient. She's gone the long way round for most of the books with no short cuts of convenient stumbling upon what or who she has been looking for at all. Well, personally I think some of her dialogue is excellent especially her discussions with Nimble Dick and her witty come backs to Hyle Hunt. 

"That rounsey may be the most hideous horse I've ever seen," said Ser Hyle of Podrick's mount. "I am surprised that you're not riding it, my lady. Do you plan to thank me for my help?"
Brienne swung down off her mare. She stood a head taller than Ser Hyle. "One day I'll thank you in a mêlée, ser."

And if you take note of the quote provided by @ravenous reader above it should become clear that Jaime has some feelings for Brienne which he is in denial about.  But just in case you were in doubt still. 

"Why, I went to Tarth and saw her. I had six years on her, yet the wench could look me in the eye. She was a sow in silk, though most sows have bigger teats. When she tried to talk she almost choked on her own tongue. I gave her a rose and told her it was all that she would ever have from me." Connington glanced into the pit. "The bear was less hairy than that freak, I'll—"
Jaime's golden hand cracked him across the mouth so hard the other knight went stumbling down the steps. His lantern fell and smashed, and the oil spread out, burning. "You are speaking of a highborn lady, ser. Call her by her name. Call her Brienne."
Connington edged away from the spreading flames on his hands and knees. "Brienne. If it please my lord." He spat a glob of blood at Jaime's foot. "Brienne the Beauty."

• 6 months later...

Around the middle of Game, we learned that Tyrion’s true love, Tysha, sang a song to him...

"Do you know this song?" he asked.

"You hear it here and there, in inns and whorehouses."

"Myrish. ‘The Seasons of My Love.' Sweet and sad, if you understand the words. The first girl I ever bedded used to sing it, and I've never been able to put it out of my head."

Tyrion VI, Game 42

As Tyrion lied near death after the Battle of the Blackwater, we learned a line from the song...

They would kiss for hours, and spend whole days doing no more than lolling in bed, listening to the waves, and touching each other. Her body was a wonder to him, and she seemed to find delight in his. Sometimes she would sing to him. I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair. "I love you, Tyrion," she would whisper before they went to sleep at night. "I love your lips. I love your voice, and the words you say to me, and how you treat me gentle. I love your face."

Tyrion XV, Clash 67

This was reiterated early in Storm...

"No. If I've given offense, forgive me. I had my own love once, and we had a song as well." I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair.

Tyrion II, Storm 12

And we recalled Lancel singing the song to Cersei...

Through the door came the soft sound of the high harp, mingled with a trilling of pipes. The singer's voice was muffled by the thick walls, yet Tyrion knew the verse. I loved a maid as fair as summer, he remembered, with sunlight in her hair . . .

Tyrion VI, Clash 25

Interestingly, Tyrion wonders whether Jaime thinks of Cersei with this first verse in mind...

Is this the Cersei that Jaime sees? When she smiled, you saw how beautiful she was, truly. I loved a maid as fair as summer, with sunlight in her hair.

Tyrion VI, Clash 25

We also recalled that he learned what must be the third line of the song...

Shae stood in the door behind him, dressed in the silvery robe he'd given her. I loved a maid as white as winter, with moonglow in her hair.

Tyrion X, Clash 44

Since winter is opposite to summer, Shae is opposite to Tysha. While that caught my eye, it was the second line that made my head turn...

After a time the candle guttered and went out. Moonlight slanted between the slats of the shutters, laying pale silvery bars across her father's face. She could hear the soft whisper of his labored breathing, the endless rush of waters, the faint chords of some love song drifting up from the yard, so sad and sweet. "I loved a maid as red as autumn," Rymund sang, "with sunset in her hair."

Catelyn VII, Clash 55

This was right before Catelyn played matchmaker with Jaime and Brienne the Beauty. So, we have Tyrion and Tysha followed by Tyrion and Shae, and we have Jaime and Cersei followed by Jaime and Brienne. 

I have just discovered this thread and I'm fascinated by the OP.

Cersei actively watches out for a beautiful, young queen in the making, in the literal sense, while she totally dismisses the idea that Brienne of Tarth could mean any danger to her. It is only in character that she is wrong again when judging people.

Great contributions by other posters as well. I especially loved the Shakespeare discussion. 

On 2017. 07. 13. at 3:32 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

The thing Cersei loved best about Jaime was that he was the "male image" of herself. Lo and behold, that began to change after his odyssey across the Riverlands with Brienne  ^_^ So in a way, Brienne has already helped rob Cersei of something she holds dear. . . 

That's exactly how I see it as well. Cersei's "love" is absolutely narcissistic. Yes, she loves her own power in her children, and she loves the male version of her own image in Jaime. For her, Jaime is a "Cersei" who can hold a sword and will use it, a member of the dominant sex (how many times has she complained that she should have been born a man?), and yet someone Cersei can perfectly dominate, as though he was an extension of herself. 

I think this explanation solves the problem of "great idea but Cersei doesn't really love Jaime". She is actually quite obsessed with him, "holds him dear" so to speak, only she doesn't love him in the truest, noblest sense of the word, she is not interested in Jaime's well-being, only in her "right" to possess him. Cersei is unable to selflessly love another person, but then the prophecy doesn't exactly use the word love, only "hold dear".

On 2017. 07. 13. at 1:19 AM, ravenous reader said:

And like Athena Parthenos, the 'Virgin', Brienne's maiden status as the Maid of Tarth is repeatedly emphasized, including as a virtue by Jaime, who says that 'innocence' is the quality he values above all in a woman.

Yes, with regard to Brienne, both the Venus (Evenstar) symbolism and the Maid (Virgin) symbolism are very important. Let me just mention that in medieval art, blue was the colour associated with the Virgin Mary, which is exactly Brienne's colour. (There you have a Queen image of yet another kind). So Brienne is associated with two basic aspects of femininity: Venus (love and beauty) and Virgin (innocence and goodness). Actually, it sounds like the ideal woman, and yet... Anyway, I think this symbolism is really exciting, and it really should lead somewhere...

Archived