How would you rate episode 701?

Ran

How would you rate episode 701?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Went with a 9 here. But could go as low as 8.

I feel this show is getting a tad more predictable. For this show to become GoT again, I think one of the Starks has to die. Horribly. And we will hate it. But really, I think everything is just going too smoothly for the "good guys".

I feel this show is getting a tad more predictable. For this show to become GoT again, I think one of the Starks has to die. Horribly. And we will hate it. But really, I think everything is just going too smoothly for the "good guys".

Otherwise, it was a fun to watch episode with some interesting moments. And with Daenerys finally stepping in, planning her invasion. A very hype episode.

Gave it a 9! Absolutely loved it. Might have gone with 10, but I decided to save those for future episodes of the season. My highlights:

-The cold opening of Arya massacring the Freys

-Jon pardoning Karstark and Umber

-Edd's return

-The White Walker march

-Arya with the Lannister soldiers

-Everything with the Hound

-Jorah's return.

-Danerys coming home

I’m giving it an 8. Solid premiere, one of the stronger ones in the show’s history. Some very interesting set-up, and most importantly, this episode left me hungry for more.

What I liked:

-       Jon and Sansa’s complicated ruling relationship. This felt like a natural progression of both their characters, which was important because I was worried any conflict between them would feel contrived like last season. But you can understand where both are coming from based in their experiences. Personally I think Jon was right doing what he did, but there’s no clear right answer either way which is in important tradition for the show to uphold. Still think StarkBowl is a red herring, and Jon and Sansa will still be allies come season’s end.

-       Jamie and Cersei’s complicated ruling relationship. Great parallel between the two factions, and some beautiful acting from Lena and Nikolaj. Can’t wait to see where their relationship goes this season

-       Sandor and his ghosts. This was a great use of a great piece of characterisation from earlier in the show, and show’s how the Hound’s way of looking at the world has shifted, as well as reminding us he still has crimes to atone for. It may have been slow, but the whole sequence between him, Beric and Thoros was very good in my opinion.

-       Ed’s cameo. A nice way to use him, and a good reminder that not all men are monsters. Serves the purpose of humanising Arya’s enemies while providing a refreshing change of pace from the brutality that normally comes from chance meetings on the show. Well done David & Dan.

-       Dany’s return home. Nice moment, although I probably would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t seen almost all the footage from trailers, etc.

What I wasn’t wild about:

-       Still not entirely convinced by Euron, especially his perchant to use the word murder like its going out of fashion. I do think he was playfully menacing however, and his eyes in particular have a madness to them

-       Arya’s face changing. I know it was supposed to be vindication, and I didn’t hate the scene itself, I’m just worried D & D have written themselves into a corner with the faceless ability. Arya is too OP at the moment.

Final point; it was interesting that I enjoyed the show more without having any book content to directly compare it to. I feel I can finally enjoy the show for the show and the books for the books, and I hope others start to feel that way as the season continues.

Otherwise, it was a fun to watch episode with some interesting moments. And with Daenerys finally stepping in, planning her invasion. A very hype episode.

Solid 8. Dany's homecoming was perfect, the music was on point and the choice to not have dialogue worked well. 

Sandor was the MVP of the episode. Rory killed it, and I really liked the burial scene. 

Euron was miles better than last year. He actually has some charisma now. Silence looked awesome too.

My only complaint is the Citadel scenes dragged on a bit too long. 

Edited by Nictarion

I gave it a 4, it was very underwhelming and as always the dialogue was dreadful, it feels as though every second character is obsessed with trying to find out what every other character "wants" or "believes". The thing that really bothers me is characters knowing things that have happened half the world away in what seems to be the blink of an eye as though they can switch on a tv and watch 24hr news courage, is planetos at this point 3 miles wide?.It has become more apparent after each season that D&D have no real affinity with the source material and without Georges input as a script writer are happy to write Game of Thrones as some crappy soap opera. the only redeeming scenes were Ed sherans song about Jaime and Cersei, even that was ruined by one of the soldiers asking Arya if she was " old enough to drink" as if some medieval cop is going to come rushing out of the woods to arrest him for giving alcohol to a minor. I won't even mention the Samwell chamber pot emptying montage only that D&D must have been spending too much time with Guy Richie during their lazy gap in filming. i quite liked the hound and Beric scene aswell.

Edited by darksellsword

5 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

The montage scene where Sam rewatches all of Season 5 was fantastic.

I am also a fan of Daenerys becoming a non-speaking role.  This director is a f'n GENIUS.

Bravo

I rated it 7 but I think I was being a bit harsh. 8 is more fitting.

Liked;

-Euron, actually. His actor seems to have stepped it up somewhat, he was more charismatic and had some of the creepy factor in his eyes that I expect of Euron. He still needs an eyepatch however.

-The Hound, all of it. I wasn't sure how they would keep the character relevant, but if we keep having great scenes like that, I say keep Sandor coming. I want more of this. 

-Ed and his song. I was afraid Arya would go full murder mode yet again as chance meetings always end in violence in GoT. Nice to see I was wrong.

-Cercei and Jaime finally having the dynamic they should have on screen. Hopefully they develop on that rather than forgetting it yet again.

-I am a simple man. I see undead giants, I like.

-Nice arrival scene in Dragonstone, good atmosphere and awesome art direction with the fortress. Keeping Dany silent is always a plus too.

-Jorah hype!

Did not like;

-Arya massacring the Freys was cringeworthy and a big reason why I didn't rate it higher. If she can perfectly emulate a 90 years old codger, how can you even stop this girl? She could literally murder anyone. Killing Walder satisfied my primal revenge boner, that was just gross overkill.

-Echoing Brienne: what the hell is Littlefinger even doing now? What's his purpose apart from giving Sansa creepy looks?

-Did we really need to see Sam emptying chamber pots? His side-quest is tedious enough as it is. 

-Sansa questioning Jon in front of his bannermen, and Jon deciding to arm even the women. I'm sorry, this is fantasy and all, but that's not how feudal societies work.

Gave it a 9. I felt like it was one of the stronger 'filler' or 'setup' episodes in the series and the writing was much improved. Ed Sheeran kinda broke immersion for me but I didn't hate it as much as others

Now that I think about it, 8 would probably be a better score as I think there weren't many standout moments outside of the opening and Rory's acting. Did like the opening scene to the Citadel. That was some brilliant editing that genuinely made me wanna puke. I do think too much time was spent there for a lack of payoff though

Edited by Commander Jon Snow