How would you rate episode 701?

Ran

How would you rate episode 701?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

Terrible dialouge and tons of unnatural exposition. Arya single-handedly destroying the Freys feels like something from fanfiction.net. Sansa and Jon ''rivalry'' feels fake and forced. Ed Sheeran cameo, because of course we need this. Euron is still lame. Jaime is still not a character. Wanted to give it a 1/10, but the Hounds scenes were objectively atleast decent.

2/10

5 hours ago, RedShirt47 said:

A solid 8. It covered almost every character and set up their plots nicely. Couldn't really expect much more from a season opener. They packed a lot into that episode and it nearly all was important story building.

I agree. I can see where some say Theon wasn't in it and I sympathize there, but we got ALMOST everyone and every place of import covered. It was a very strategic episode, setting up things to come. I think in retrospect as this season progresses we'll see how important this ep is.

18 hours ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Okay let's seriously (wink wink) try to figure out my score for this week.  Now, as Ian MacShane famously said, it's just Tits And Dragons, so lets use that as our baseline. Were there Dragons this week?  YES. Were there tits?  NO.  Okay, since only half the show formula is present, our baseline is 5 out of 10...

...HEY LOOK IT'S CAPTAIN JACK SPARROhnowaitmymistake...

So 5.5.  I guess I'll go up to 6 because I'm in a good mood because the show is back and I tend to like the things I like more than I hate the things I hate.

I edited it for space, but truly your whole post was hilarious. I highly recommend anyone new to the thread go back to the second page and read the whole thing for a good laugh.

I went with a 6.

It was OK I guess, but might have been even lower if I wasn't just happy the show was back on.

Didn't like Arya's scene.  The word that came to mind was fan-fic-y.  Did the FM ever teach her to talk like a 90 year old dude?

The credits were great.  No Essos, so shit is going to be tighter by default.

Cersei looks like a Romulan with her new hair cut and outfit.  But when she drinks, I drink.

Why are Ned Umber and Alys Karstark both carrying swords all things considered?  I get Jon's decision, but that seemed pretty strange that they were even at the meeting if their status was so uncertain.  Alys does have a pretty severe look, like Jon's perfect ginger dominatrix.

Euron's talking was wall breaking for me.  I think of characters like Tywin, or Selmy, or Ned with some gravitas in contrast and he didn't come across as menacing at all, more of a light weight buffoon.

When that old maester put another book on Sam's pile I just thought "Montage"  and kind of secretly hoped that somehow Sam would end up jacked by next season.

Later when Sam was holding a liver without blanching, I knew it was because of the power of montage.

As for the BwB scenes I think the Hound is even more my favorite character now than Bronn.  Though when Gendry finally shows up his arms should be enormous after 3 or so seasons of rowing.  Beric, Thoros, and Clegane made for the best scenes this episode.

Then we get to Dragonstone.  Pour one out for Stannis.

Would it have killed Dany's fleet to pick up Gendry on the way?

Really thought the whole ending scene was flat.  Nice bit when Dany is grabbing the sand on the beach, but where the hell are all the people on Dragonstone?  Either Stannis abandoned it entirely and the Lannisters would have garrisoned it, or Stannis would have left behind someone.  Or someone squatters would have taken over at least.  Seemed immensely fucking stupid that when she finally gets to Westeros Dany is at the head of the group walking into a castle that they can't know is totally abandonded.  WTF? 

I guess the second best scene was at the Wall, only because Edd was there.  But that scene was really lacking something too.

I had no idea that the scene with Arya and the Lannister soldiers was the Ed Sheeran cameo.  So the stunt casting didn't bother me, and the song was well sung.  I also was a bit surprised Arya didn't just murder them all, so that was nice.  Let's call this my third favorite scene.   I don't actually know that much about Ed, other than that he is pop singer.  I think he sings that song about the retarded guy who finally gets a girlfriend after holding some puking chick's hair (I could be wrong though), but if he hadn't been playing Mohegan Sun last week and thus I saw a bunch of promotional stuff everytime the last two months when I went to play poker, I wouldn't even know he was a singer.

8 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

When that old maester put another book on Sam's pile I just thought "Montage"  and kind of secretly hoped that somehow Sam would end up jacked by next season.

Later when Sam was holding a liver without blanching, I knew it was because of the power of montage.

As for the BwB scenes I think the Hound is even more my favorite character now than Bronn.  Though when Gendry finally shows up his arms should be enormous after 3 or so seasons of rowing.  Beric, Thoros, and Clegane made for the best scenes this episode.

Nevermind Gendry, Meera should be ready to moonlight on GLOW after dragging Bran on a sled across the True North by herself.  Under that Standard-Issue Wildling Coat she somehow got a hold of I expect her to be RIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEDDDDDDD.

Crannogwoman Shares One Weird Trick To Get JACKED In Time For Winter!  White Walkers HATE Her!!!!

14 minutes ago, Frances Bean Corbray said:

Nevermind Gendry, Meera should be ready to moonlight on GLOW after dragging Bran on a sled across the True North by herself.  Under that Standard-Issue Wildling Coat she somehow got a hold of I expect her to be RIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPEDDDDDDD.

Crannogwoman Shares One Weird Trick To Get JACKED In Time For Winter!  White Walkers HATE Her!!!!

Yeah, I meant to make a similar point myself.  Though you really nailed it better than I would have.

What happened with Benjen/CH?  Even if he couldn't pass the Wall, you would think he'd be willing to coordinate with the NW.

Edited by mcbigski

3 minutes ago, mcbigski said:

Yeah, I meant to make a similar point myself.

What happened with Benjen/CH?  Even if he couldn't pass the Wall, you would think he'd be willing to coordinate with the NW.

That was his sendoff, he's no longer needed and we will not see him again, much like Daario.

He lowered himself into molten lava to erase himself from the timeline like The Terminator or something, I dunno.

Maybe he'll pop back up when the wall comes down or the plot needs 20 1 good men to be behind the White Walker lines for some reason but I'm pretty sure he's written out and is chilling with Daario, Tycho, Illyrio, Jaqen, fuckin Quaithe or whatever, Hot Pie, Olyvar, Lady Waynwood and Lord Corbray, and maybe The Tarlys but probably not Melisandre and hopefully not Sallahdor Saan, (but apparently Edmure and Gendry?), and everyone else no longer relevant but not worth killing off.

3/10.

I find it hard to take the show seriously at this point. The scene with Euron was another example of the lazy writing the show has resorted to. Not to mention the costumes or the acting. The montage with Sam was technically well done, but just as lazy. Fewer episodes, but they have time for this stuff? Is it supposed to be funny? Even more awful: The opening scene. Arya apparently can be anyone and perfectly imitate their most subtle facial expressions. And the direction reminded me of B-movies. In addition: A lot of strange details that were just odd (There is a restricted section in Oldtown's library for books nobody is interested in? There is a drinking age in Westeros? ect).

I did like Sandor's scene, although the vision in the fire was kind of stupid. But this scene seemed to care about its character, was aware of his past and tried to tell us something about who that character is now. And it worked for me. Why can't the show try to do that more often.

I also liked that locations seem to matter more and we get slightly more establishing shots for scenes. 

22 hours ago, Modesty Lannister said:

- Arya poisoning the Freys. The scene is thoroughly unbelievable. No Frey woman does anything to side with their men?! Not one?! No man is trying to attack "Walder Frey" after realising they have been poisoned?! No drama, no nothing and Arya just walks away. - 1 point

Thank you!  While I liked seeing the Frey men get what they deserved, it just didn't make any sense that the Frey women contributed about as much to the scene as the furniture did.

I gave the episode 8 points.  I enjoyed most of it but there were a number of flaws in the writing which could lead to plot holes in the future and some of the scenes were too long.

Edited by storm.131
clarity

17 hours ago, TormundSexyEyes said:

Bro. That's kind of what Faceless men do....

I just wish we got some actual training scene of Arya changing identities, because she was just sort of able to do it all of a sudden. Other than that, it's par for the course of faceless man abilities. Usually faceless men just don't go around killing randoms. So I'm wondering if that won't play into the demise of Arya somehow. 

Arya's FM abilities definitely seem overpowered and unearned. Her education consisted of failing her two entry missions at the HOBAW and dropping out, so why would she be any way close to a fully skilled FM ?

I could kind of overlook it, if we just assume she has stolen a few faces from the hall and they come prepared with all the "magic" necessary to use. But since she was able to disguise herself as Walder, that doesn't work anymore.

Given what we have seen of her at the Twins, Arya really should randomly pop up disguised as one of Cerseis servents to kill her or at least get close enough to poison her food/wine in the next episode. If she doesn't, we have to ask why she is failing.

33 minutes ago, Rhollo said:

Arya's FM abilities definitely seem overpowered and unearned. Her education consisted of failing her two entry missions at the HOBAW and dropping out, so why would she be any way close to a fully skilled FM ?

I could kind of overlook it, if we just assume she has stolen a few faces from the hall and they come prepared with all the "magic" necessary to use. But since she was able to disguise herself as Walder, that doesn't work anymore.

Given what we have seen of her at the Twins, Arya really should randomly pop up disguised as one of Cerseis servents to kill her or at least get close enough to poison her food/wine in the next episode. If she doesn't, we have to ask why she is failing.

Your points are sound and I agree with you, but I dont think D&Ds perception of Aryas journey in Seasons 5 & 6 matches what a large amount of their audience actually interpreted.

What was shown - Arya failing her missions, not becoming noone, failing to do what was required in HOBAW, her miracle survival after stabbing by the waif, etc - I think was genuinely D&Ds way of trying to tell a story of a wronged girl becoming a truly badass assassin through learning many lessons on the way. 

To my mind, they ruined Aryas plotline and failed miserably in getting across the story they intended to with Arya, but it doesnt change the fact that in Season 7, Arya is supposed to be a highly skilled FM, maybe not on par with Jaqen but certainly better than the waif ever was, and is able to completely change into someone else.

This is the point I feel a lot of people are missing. They dont believe Arya is as powerful as they are showing her as right now (and intend her to be) because of the terrible job D&D did of telling the story of her journey to reach that point.

We are nearing endgame now. Arya I believe is intended to be near the height of her powers as an assassin, just as Bran is close to reaching the pinnacle of his as a warg/greenseer, Sansa hers as a player and Jon his as a leader/warrior. 

The storytelling of the journey of all these characters could and should have been much better. Sansa is inconsistent as hell, Jon has made several stupid leader decisions and seems an idiot at times etc.

Edited by Gaz0680

I gave it a 7, and I think that's fair. The episode was mainly a recap and filler, but I did think the scenes dragged on. Arya with soldiers, felt like Cersei was on screen for 20 mins consecutively. Hound had a good scene, but boy did it drag on. Sam montage/actual scene was too damn long. I hope just because they have extended running time they haven't just extended scenes needlessly.

6/10

It's not as bad as the really bad episodes if not a wonderful one.

Some ridiculous trends like Super-Hyper Arya continue, Euron still looks more like a Daddy Bear than a pirate, Sam scenes are well done but looks useless considering the absence of a really new revelation, etc... But production value is high as ever, you get to see a few lords speaking, Sansa hasn't been completely reset and forgotten previous seasons like it was her habits, and the scene with the Lannisters soldiers is one of the best of recent era (hey finally there are some human beings in Westeros armies !).

3 hours ago, Gargarax said:

3/10.

I find it hard to take the show seriously at this point. The scene with Euron was another example of the lazy writing the show has resorted to. Not to mention the costumes or the acting. The montage with Sam was technically well done, but just as lazy. Fewer episodes, but they have time for this stuff? Is it supposed to be funny? 

Yes, yes, yes. 

At this point it's completely out of context.  The context, certain characters' behavior. It's just one big fanservice to today's trending hashtags. Really, ten year old girl gets to talk like that to 50 year old men who fought wars? Really, she's going to battle and not let the men fight for her? Really, everybody is wearing black leather because why? Really, Cersei knows Jon is king, Daenerys is sailing and the Freys were killed? Did she get that off BBC news? Really, Euron sailed past Dragonstone TWICE without invading it? Really, not a single soul is in Dragonstone? Really, Littlefinger gave up his powerplay to stalk a moody Sansa in Winterfell? 

12 hours ago, goomba said:

.. so you're saying that you gave it a 3?

That's what your real answer is :D 

Ouch, I guess I came out as a bit negative, I guess I got high expectations of the show. If I started from low expectations... I'd add praise for stuff like Edd's ID checkpoint, the dead army scene, the CGI fleet or the beautiful filming locations.

Depends really what you go in expecting. If you were expecting amazing dialogue and a very thick plot you may be disappointed. After last season I've come to accept that the show doesn't really care about plot holes or logic, It cares more about giving the majority of show watchers what they want and that is a simple plot with many thrills and action sequences. While also providing great emotive music and a great mise en scene which makes it visually pleasing. When you add all those things up its a very entertaining show and I think season 7 episode 1 did a good job of fulfilling those expectations.