How would you rate episode 701?

Ran

How would you rate episode 701?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

However my personal opinions on the episode is that it wasn't the best. I thought the Intro with Arya was so predictable, I can't imagine many people being shocked when she poisoned the freys. Does she realize that these men were just following orders? The writers have been giving way too much fan service of late, the ''good'' characters must get justice over the ''evil'' characters. What made the books and the show so real was that justice was not always served and that the characters we loved did not always win which happens often in the real world. This made the show a lot harder to predict. Unfortunately the show have stopped caring about that.

33 minutes ago, Robert Baratheon's hammer said:

Depends really what you go in expecting. If you were expecting amazing dialogue and a very thick plot you may be disappointed. After last season I've come to accept that the show doesn't really care about plot holes or logic, It cares more about giving the majority of show watchers what they want and that is a simple plot with many thrills and action sequences. While also providing great emotive music and a great mise en scene which makes it visually pleasing. When you add all those things up its a very entertaining show and I think season 7 episode 1 did a good job of fulfilling those expectations. 

I know what you mean, and I agree that is visually pleasing still - the throneroom on Dragonstone was really great, for example. I don't even expect the plot to be as complex and entangled as it is in the books, I would be fine with a story that works, one that would actually be published if it was a novel.

My main concern at the moment is: Do I really care about any of the characters anymore? After watching this episode, the answer was very clearly no. I wouldn't care any more about Dany's or Jon's death that I did about the Freys. I cared a little about Sandor in this episode, which is why I almost considered giving it a 4.

Great episode,  Could have been the season 6 capper.   

Denny and Cersei cut off their love interests, with single focus in mind, win the seven kingdoms.

Lanister army is weakening, lacking leaders in the field.

Dorne, Highgarden, North out for revenge.

Winterfell throne comes into focus with Sansa, Jon friction, and Bran coming back.

This episode was sort of a high point of climax of the plot, just before the resolution starts.

I was very generous.

Since S5 "let's go around Moat cailin" I start with 0 expectation. So an episode starts at 0/10 for me.

All the massive glarling nonsense gets 0 points for me: The Frey mass killing, Bran's dialogue to prove he's Bran Stark to Edd Tollett (and I should have been over the moon that Edd had a speaking line) and Meera having carried him that far, Sansa-Jon clunky dialogue and Feisty Mormont fan-service. Cersei-Jaime-Euron nonsense, Sam montage + rediscovering what he already knew and forgot to tell Jon 2 seasons ago.

I recognized Ed Sheeran (but don't have an issue with his cameo) and I could see right through the writers' intentions of the Lannister soldier scene, but it still worked for me. It was a nice scene, until the other guy asked Arya whether she was old enough to drink. +1

The Hound. Now that was a proper scene, in character and already established interaction and good reconnection scene with Sandor stealing the father's silver in S4. It totally pulled me in and the gravedigging made me smile, including the Sandorspeak. I know digging into frozen ground is impossible, that Sandor's Stranger is nowhere to be seen, and that it's curious that Sandor can see in the flames better than Mel, but the character consistency made me feel as if I was actually watching something worthwhile. So +2

Dany's arrival at Dragonstone. I did have to remind myself not to think on the massive stupidity of it being completely abandoned for 2 years and nobody ooccupying it, and Dany entering without recon kindof threw me off. But I did appreciate the moment of her touching her home soil. For one of the rarest moments since S1, Dany's show arc actually made me simpathize with her, as well as made my heart ache over Stannis too. So, +1

I should have given it a 4/10, but being in a good mood after the Hound's scenes I gave it an extra +1 for the WW CGI with the giants (no, I don't think that was Wun Wun, 'cause there were several more giants in the background) and thus 5/10.

Edited by sweetsunray

45 minutes ago, Gargarax said:

I know what you mean, and I agree that is visually pleasing still - the throneroom on Dragonstone was really great, for example. I don't even expect the plot to be as complex and entangled as it is in the books, I would be fine with a story that works, one that would actually be published if it was a novel.

My main concern at the moment is: Do I really care about any of the characters anymore? After watching this episode, the answer was very clearly no. I wouldn't care any more about Dany's or Jon's death that I did about the Freys. I cared a little about Sandor in this episode, which is why I almost considered giving it a 4.

Well the chances of Jon and Danny dying this season are incredibly slim. I actually enjoyed Sandor this episode even though I'm not quite sure how i feel about the visions in the flames. I thought this season opener was predictable but solid and far better than last years which doesn't say that much. I would give it a 6/7 out of 10.

A 7 from me...and maybe I am being generous.

I really loved the Hound's scenes and how they tied it up with what he did in season 4. Decent lines, nice shots (when he was digging that grave for a brief moment made me think of the atmosphere from a Gothic novel), good character development (wish there was more of this in the show)...all in all the best part of the episode.

The short shot of the Others and their army (+the giants) gave me chills. 

Sansa and Jon were alright. It could have been better. To me it makes sense that they each fear the enemies they know: Jon is more concerned with the Others, Sansa is more concerned with Cersei.

I felt Sam's scenes were dragged a bit. They weren't bad, but the montage was way too long in my opinion. 

Euron looked better than last season...and I am strictly speaking about how he looked. I got the impression he was channeling a mix of Jack Sparrow and Ragnar/Floki from Vikings.

Jaimie and Cersei's scenes were a bit too long.

Bran and Meera arriving at Castle Black was meh, but it's still good that they arrived in the first episode.

Dany's scene was nice, but I expected more emotion in her eyes. She has a nice outfit.

Arya's first scene reminded me of playing a game when you are level 20 and you have to fight level 2 enemies...there's no fun anymore. The second scene was pure fan service. So far...she's overleveled and I hope this will lead to something more interesting. 

7 hours ago, Rhollo said:

Arya's FM abilities definitely seem overpowered and unearned. Her education consisted of failing her two entry missions at the HOBAW and dropping out, so why would she be any way close to a fully skilled FM ?

I could kind of overlook it, if we just assume she has stolen a few faces from the hall and they come prepared with all the "magic" necessary to use. But since she was able to disguise herself as Walder, that doesn't work anymore.

Given what we have seen of her at the Twins, Arya really should randomly pop up disguised as one of Cerseis servents to kill her or at least get close enough to poison her food/wine in the next episode. If she doesn't, we have to ask why she is failing.

I agree that killing off an entire house in one swoop is a bit OP. I blame the doubt of her abilities on D&D completely. I agree with others that say her storyline was fairly ruined. Could have spent much less time with her being a blind pincushion and actually showed the art of wearing faces, etc etc etc. 

I used to never be able to find plot-holes/irritations in the early seasons, now its getting more and more difficult for D&D to not make me go "Wait a goddamn minute".

Eight.

Jon very much emulating Tywin, "When your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire.  When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you."--ASOS

Edited by Slingingstones

8. Very solid. Enjoyed every scene. The smaller number of remaining characters helped a lot.

I loved weasel soup 2.0.

Can't see the fan service complaints. We've had 6 seasons of them getting dumped on from a great height and we've had what? just half a dozen scenes of revenge by the handful that remain!

Anyway, it's obvious there are still going to be major bumps in the roads ahead for the Starks.

Even the poop scene was interesting - the first time in 50 years something on TV has made me feel physically queasy.

I gave it a 6, but I didn't know if to give it a 5, since I'd rate it 5.5/10.

What I liked in the episode was that Sam had a lot of screentime being a secondary character and the scenes in the library were amazing, Arya with the Lannister soldiers was interesting, the Sandor+BWB were ok, and the last scene for Dany in Dragonstone was really well-acted and actually moving. It was nice not to see someone being teleported like when she left from Meereen.

Unfortunately, Arya killing all the Freys made no sense to me, Cersei and Jaime was hard to watch (even if we start seeing how their relationship sinks) and I forgot about the rest of the scenes.

PS: Obviously, I didn't forget about Bran and Meera, but they never have enough screentime.

Edited by Meera of Tarth

My rating: 3 to 4

The first 25 minutes were acceptable to good, the remaining 30 min crap. And no real rhythm to the episode (length of scenes, cutting inconsistant).

Rating of the scenes (chronological order probably incorrect):

Opening (Arya poisoning Freys) 10

(Succinct, logical, consequent)

Bran entering Castle Black: 5

(Bran one of the most important remaining charcters having jsut some seconds in the epüisode; no real answer to Dolorous Edd's  question for proof for the identity of Meera and Bran not answered, however he let's them pass. No obvious identification answers such as to Jon Snow or the direwolves.)

The Dead's army moving: 5

(Just shocking effects with the giants marching along. Missing the opportunity to surprise viewer by giving them a different target than assumed by Jon Snow or Sandor Clegane.)

Jon and Sansa before the war council and discussion afterwards: 8

(Interesting dialogue, nice tension through Sansa contradicting Jon. However: illogical as Jon made no obvious mistake infront of all Northern Lords that Sansa could be able to address to based on her experience.)

Cersei/Jaime: 9

(Best acting in the episode, we can rely on Lena and Nikolaj. good dialogue.)

Cersei/Jaime/Euron: 6-8

(Euron somehow strange in acting, and not convincing in Dressing. Not really sure about this scene.)

Sansa/Littlefinger/Brienne in Winterfell: 4

(Petyr Baelish, a main character in the show, just been given some seconds and five sentences? An insult.)

Now the crap begins

Samwell Tarly in the Citadel, a long and a short Scene: 4

(OK, the message is: Life is not what he expected, not only studying and reading books but a lot of serving and cleaning shit; no access to all books, hardly anyone believing him in the existence of the Others.Yawn! No need to waste more than 5 minutes on that. Only message: In an old book Sam finds that there is dragonglass on Dragonstone and he writes a message to Jon Snow (probably a raven flying to Castle Black instead of to Winterfell, but Dolorous Edd will hopefully see to that the message is delivered.) And Jormont's appearance is completely useless, could have shown him once there is something more to tell about his greyscale sickness, is it curable or not?)

Arya and Ed Sheeran: 3

(Embarrasing publicity placing. Only message: Arya is no ruthless killer, she lets good hearted people live even if they wear Lannister armour.)

Sandor Clegane and Beric and Thoros: 2

(Sucks. Very long scene, unconvincing. Message: Sandor is cured, half way to be High Septon, now can even sse the future in the flames (wasn't that reserved to priests, drunk or not, o the Lord of Light?). As far as I am concerned: Secondary if not tertiary character, pumped up in the show, but even in that perspective waste of time and unconvincing.)

Daenerys, Tyrion arriving at Dragonstone: 5

(Only one sentence spoken. Does the the director think no talking would create an atmosphere of awe for the audience seeing Daenerys finally arrive at Westeros and coming bakc to her birthplace? No comment, question, remark by loose-tongued Tyrion? A completely misdirected scene IMHO.

6/10. Mainly due to the Sam and Hound subplots. That's why I enjoy (though not love) the TV series: I never know what to expect. I was moved by the initial scenes with Arya, then got terribly bored with the conversations between the Lannister and Stark/Snow siblings. I was almost about to turn it off... but then I saw what poor Sam had been doing for all these months... and quite unexpectedly I liked it. I even laughed, which doesn't often happen to me. Not to mention the monologue about the world that had been supposed to end so many times before. :)

7/10 - It was okay and mostly set up. Much better than Season 5 Episode 10.5 (s6e1) from last year but not that great either.

Pros:

1. The Hound and the Brotherhood Scenes - The highlight of the episode tbh. Love the actors who play Beric and Thoros and love that they are back but also dreading it because their days are most likely numbered. Besides digging in that weather being essentially impossible the rest of those scenes were very good and also that we missed him and all his cunt jokes. Bringing back the house where Sandor stole that gold from that farmer and his daughter was a great call. Continuing to show how Sandor has changed as a person,

2. Sam-Citadel Scenes - The Sam and Gilly stuff has been a borefest for a while now but Sam finally getting to the Citadel and actually doing shit was great. Jim Broadbent is fantastic and I cannot wait to see more of him. Also hey Jorah is a lab rat! lol

3. The "Ed Sheeran" Scene - Let's call it what it is lol. I did like this scene. Not the Ed Sheeran cameo that was just stupid but the rest of the scene was nice and shows the audience (and also Arya) that not all the Lannister soldiers are bad. It goes along with George's anti-war theme nicely. Like the first Robb-Talisa scene from Season 2.

4. Euron - Despite looking like he just raided Hot Topic just before arriving in Kings Landing, the Euron character has been improved on greatly. His digs at Jaime were fantastic and I cannot wait to see him fuck up Daenery's fleet. The whole argument that "They passed right by Dragonstone why didn't they occupy it instead of just letting Dany walk right in?" I think it is actually a great idea to let Dany roll in. Wait until her and her army lands on Dragonstone then ambush her and destroy her fleet leaving her army trapped on Dragonstone. Sure she still has 3 Dragons but as history has taught us (Meraxes) Dragons aren't invincible all Cersei would need then is a shit ton of Scorpions.

5. Wight Giants - Bout damn time! Now where are the damn ice spiders D&D??

6. North Scenes - I liked most of these. I'm still hoping in the back of my mind that Sansa is gonna turn on Jon in some way because I still don't like her, or hell let her think she is outsmarting Baelish and then he gets one more win by killing her. Jon letting the Umbers and Karstarks keep their lands was a good move.

7. Baelish - Every episode he still breaths gives me hope that he'll fuck someone over again.

Cons:

1. Dany Coming Home - It just didn't hit me like it should of, also NOBODY SPEAKS WTF. D&D, you need to stop relying on Actor's faces emoting to make a scene work. Quit awards baiting...

2. The Red Toast - The cold opening Arya scene was "cool" but the logistics there make no sense. There's a lot more Frey's across Westeros and a lot of them do not like Walder and wouldn't even bother coming. No way she'd be able to realistically take out ALL of House Frey leaving Cersei no choice but to send in Lannister men to keep the peace. Jon said that you do not blame or punish a son for the crimes of his father and there's probably children Freys that had nothing to do with the RW. Also did the writers completely forget about Edmure? Jaime said he was sending him to Casterly Rock but then Walder mentions Edmure is back in his dungeons. Did Jaime take him when he left? If not then why didn't Arya free him? I'm so confused...

3. Lyanna Mormont - Already over her.

Edited by Adam_Up_Bxtch

30 minutes ago, Adam_Up_Bxtch said:

2. The Red Toast - The cold opening Arya scene was "cool" but the logistics there make no sense. There's a lot more Frey's across Westeros and a lot of them do not like Walder and wouldn't even bother coming. No way she'd be able to realistically take out ALL of House Frey leaving Cersei no choice but to send in Lannister men to keep the peace. Jon said that you do not blame or punish a son for the crimes of his father and there's probably children Freys that had nothing to do with the RW. Also did the writers completely forget about Edmure? Jaime said he was sending him to Casterly Rock but then Walder mentions Edmure is back in his dungeons. Did Jaime take him when he left? If not then why didn't Arya free him? I'm so confused...

Arya didn't take out all the Freys, only the Freys that "mean a damn thing." I believe those were the words. House Frey is in current disarray, which is probably why the Lannisters sent a garrison to keep the peace before the other River Houses get any bright ideas. Also, Arya didn't punish the Freys for their father's crimes. She punished them for their own crimes. All the Freys broke guest right and slaughtered the Starks. It wasn't just Walder. You could tell they all took a part in the Red Wedding because they all cheered when "Walder" brought it up. You're right about Edmure, though. I have no idea what happened to him.

27 minutes ago, Dragon in the North said:

Arya didn't take out all the Freys, only the Freys that "mean a damn thing." I believe those were the words. House Frey is in current disarray, which is probably why the Lannisters sent a garrison to keep the peace before the other River Houses get any bright ideas. Also, Arya didn't punish the Freys for their father's crimes. She punished them for their own crimes. All the Freys broke guest right and slaughtered the Starks. It wasn't just Walder. You could tell they all took a part in the Red Wedding because they all cheered when "Walder" brought it up. You're right about Edmure, though. I have no idea what happened to him.

I was stating the Child Freys that there would be had no part in the RW, but Cersei and Jaime were talking about the Freys like every single member of the family was dead. When Arya wouldn't of killed the ones too young to possibly have had anything to do with it.

Edited by Adam_Up_Bxtch

7/10

I think this was a solid premiere. 

Whoo hoo Arya!! I love it!

Always enjoy seeing the Hound. 

Jon Snow is adorable.

It was a bit predictable but I'm ok with that. 

Jaime & Cersei were ok. 

Jorah at the citadel! 

I feel like Sam at the Citadel is dragging on too long & have never been a big fan of Bran's. I'm interested in the story line but it seemed to drag in the books & is not moving forward very fast in the show. 

All in all a decent episode. 

I gave it a seven, loved the Hound Scenes, was ok with Jon/Sansa conflict ( I really don't think there is as much there as some people think). 

Sam at citadel was dragged out much longer than it needed to be, we got the point. 

Jamie/Cersei....neutral on that, hoped Jamie was a bit more upset honestly.

Euron?....Meh

Dany? I was ok with it. 

I might add, way too much is being made of Sandor's sudden ability to "read the flames". We don't question a half baked priest that can bring a man back to life, but we question that? Afteral, Sandor was indoctrinated by flame at a very young age, I think that has something to do with it.