How would you rate episode 701?

Ran

How would you rate episode 701?  

316 members have voted

1. 1. What's your rating from 1-10, with 10 being the highest/best?

On 7/19/2017 at 8:16 AM, Dolorous Gabe said:

The problem for me is not that she can do this. The problem for me is a kind of hangover of last season, that she is clearly not 'no one' and that her training at the HoBaW was utter BS.

But also, her operation at The Twins was only seen from an endgame perspective, which made it tedious. They couldn't be bothered to explain the logistics of infiltrating the kitchen, killing Lame Lothar and Black Walder in secret, transporting them to the kitchen and cutting them up in secret, then cleaning up the killing of Walder, hiding his body, explaining away the disappearance of Lothar and Black Walder. These should be little suspense stories. Instead we simply got the end of them. It's tedious. There's no build-up, so the payoff has no substance.

It was even played as if we don't know it's Arya using Walder's face, as if we never saw her kill him last season, so even the intended shock moment of revealing that it's Arya is a failure of storytelling.

i must disagree, my friend...

yes she is not "no one" but that is because she doesn't really want to be...she has in fact learned to be no one, and learned well...she had already demonstrated when she used a face to kill trant the girl whipper and if memory serves...which is questionable...her voice was different then if i remember until she revealed...also the waif had a granny voice just before trying to gut arya...so it seems she had the skill or it comes with the face..i don't think of it as magic so i believe the skills have been well and truly learned.

as to the logistics...i see your points, and some build up for both scenes, s610 and s701, would have been nice but really i don't need to see it...just like i didn't need to see Jaqen doing his killings...i would have enjoyed it but didn't need it to make the story better, for me...

was it really played like we didn't know...i felt that was supposed to be a shock to the frey girl, not to the audience...

and i gave epi a 7...very glad to have the hound and the bwb get together...and hey stannis read the fire on his first attempt...so it need not be a priest or a learned skill...the gravedigger is born

i liked arya's killing and non killing moments...i do not know Ed the singing Lannister so took scene at face value...seemed to support her not just killing to be killing and perhaps she does not know about the lannister sends regards comment since she didn't hear it like cat did..i see arya as stoneheart character sorta, and think she will hook up with bwb and hound eventually...

i laughed at euron...and cersei... both are ridiculous, but really wanted jaime to talk some shit back after the 2 handed comment...and of course he is jealous...even after speech he gave to edmure last season, we see he is still wondering about her fidelity

i did not care about the northern politics...though i do love me some bear-girl...but the rest was just more of the same i am not much of a sansa fan, or jon for that matter...and where is ghost, the same place he was during the battle of the bastards i guess...

the concept of time has never been respected (yes how did euron build all those ships so fast...though the books play fast and loose with time and distance as well so why should show be different) but i am just curious...dany sent Jorah to heal himself, and before she can get to westeros from slaver's bay, jorah has already made it there and been set up in a cell at the citadel...ah well...some things must just be ignored...i am hopeful for a cure since i think stannis told shireen that her cure had come from citadel, though this memory is just a foggy recollection rather than a clear picture...perhaps some of you remember

:smoking:

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

i must disagree, my friend...

yes she is not "no one" but that is because she doesn't really want to be...she has in fact learned to be no one, and learned well...she had already demonstrated when she used a face to kill trant the girl whipper and if memory serves...which is questionable...her voice was different then if i remember until she revealed...also the waif had a granny voice just before trying to gut arya...so it seems she had the skill or it comes with the face..i don't think of it as magic so i believe the skills have been well and truly learned.

Well sure, she doesn't want to be "no one", but Kindly Jaqen signed her off as no one after she announced herself as Arya Stark of Winterfell and she's going home. Becoming "no one" should have many more connotations than just being able to put on a different face and voice. She failed her training, regardless of what Kindly Jaqen said. The blindfolded swordfighting, upon which her training seemed to be based, taught her nothing but how to fight in the dark, which is meaningless to the Faceless Men MO. Don't forget that she was never taught how to put on a face. She stole the face she used to kill Trant from the Hall of Faces and used it as if it were just that simple.

And as I said, I have no issues per se with the fact that having successfully completed training her voice would change with the face change. It's the fact that her training was complete nonsense. There's no way the Faceless Men would be happy to have a rogue agent use their techniques but not their philosophy, which is what Arya is doing. For that reason, it's ludicrous that they signed her off as having completed her training. The show runners treated the HoBaW with such complete disrespect that even the Nameless not-waif girl didn't fit the criteria of the Order of the Faceless Men. Everything in the show is treated now as a means to an end, with no thought process involved.

1 hour ago, rocksniffer said:

as to the logistics...i see your points, and some build up for both scenes, s610 and s701, would have been nice but really i don't need to see it...just like i didn't need to see Jaqen doing his killings...i would have enjoyed it but didn't need it to make the story better, for me...

was it really played like we didn't know...i felt that was supposed to be a shock to the frey girl, not to the audience...

Jaqen isn't a main character. They don't need to tell a proper story for him. They do for Arya.

The second paragraph is a fair point but the show runners are still playing it for shock value over telling an actual story. Like, why in the world does the reaction of the Frey girl matter more than giving us a satisfying story detailing Arya's plot to bring down the Freys?

Much love to you, brother dawg, as usual :cheers:

The whole Arya/Faceless men plotline jumped the shark last season - it's broken and makes no sense, even if Arya is actually the Waif, why is the Waif completing Arya's list?

This is the part I'm most interested to see who the books explain, because in the show it's crap. I just want the character Arya to go away now, so I don't have to be reminded of her plotline stupidity.

3 hours ago, rocksniffer said:

... but i am just curious...dany sent Jorah to heal himself, and before she can get to westeros from slaver's bay, jorah has already made it there and been set up in a cell at the citadel...ah well...some things must just be ignored...i am hopeful for a cure since i think stannis told shireen that her cure had come from citadel, though this memory is just a foggy recollection rather than a clear picture...perhaps some of you remember

:smoking:

It might be worth your while checking out the thread about what was written in the book Sam was reading. Some people have tried to transcribe the text.

Regarding Shireen, I think Stannis took her to every Maester he could to try and find a cure. I'm not sure it was detailed exactly where and how they stopped it spreading.

I gave it a 7. Overall it was ok.

- less Dany dialogue was a plus.

- Sams scenes went on for way too long.

- Didn't agree with Sansa challenging Jon publicly, they could've had that scene play out in private.

- Hound scenes were good

- Bran. Glad they did a shout out to Howland, hope we see him soon.

-Ed Sheeran, ugh. Why ?! 

- Cercei and Euron, was a bit cringy.

gave it a 8. a solid first episode, better than others before.

arya will either be captured and used to lure jon southwards, or killed. after not killing ed, i am all for the second option. at this point she simply seems to be op and generally useless. her mission to kill bill is closing in to end anyway soon, so my hope is on her when it comes to the next main character to die.

jaime is just a shadow of his former self and will likely kill cersei since he is the kingslayer anyway. love turns to hate, the children are dead and bang, the kingslayer will turn to a queenslayer.

bran was useless as always "i see stars..." yeah sure, talk to the hand...

sam being in the citadel was nice, handling the shitpans, not so much.

luckily there was very little of daenerys to be seen, i just hope it will stay like this.

no sand snakes lifts this episode over a 7.

even though i like jorah somehow, hie obsession with dany is always annoying. in its degree of annoyance its pretty similar to jaimes cersei fixation.

tormund and brienne on the other hand... once he puts on a nice knights armor, brienne will finally meet the man of her life. she denies her feelings yet, but actually she already lost that battle. the only mistake they could do is to over-slapstick the whole tormund/brienne thing.

the undead giants may kick the simple man. i am not, so not impressed.

the hound now has a mission after he has taken a look into the flames, finally.

euron is a clown.

It was OK. I have pretty low expectations nowadays, so it has gotten easier for the show to impress me. 

I enjoyed the Arya scene because of David Bradley but the whole thing felt very false because we have not seen Arya grow to be that powerful. Cersei and Jaime were alright but the show is poor at the kind of dialogue they had, so it fell a bit flat. I liked the poo montage (it felt like something George would do), although I don't know why Oldtown had to be so disgusting. All the maesters look to be wearing dirty, urine coloured bedclothes. The Winterfell scenes were also poor. They were ruined by bad/forced dialogue between Jon and Sansa and the fan service that is Lady Mormont. Jon Snow just comes across as thick and I can't figure out what is supposed to be going on with Sansa. Brienne and Pod are pointless and should have been cut.

The Hound and the brotherhood were good and I'm interested to see where that story goes. Euron has improved since last season and I think the alliance with Cersei is a good idea (although I expect Euron allies with someone else in the books). Dany's homecoming was rubbish though. It did not make much sense that Dragonstone was deserted, and tramping into an abandoned castle with the mother of all deadpan expressions isn't what Dany's arrival in westeros really ought to be like, if you ask me.

5/10      

Honestly my expectations for this season went from an 8 to an instant 4 after Arya wiped out House Frey. We all want it to happen but in no way was this deserved. The reason the Red Wedding was great was because it was a moment the show had earned throughout the seasons with its set-up. The killing of first Walder Frey and then House Frey had absolutely no build-up. Arya was still in Braavos in season 6 episode 8 and then she just pops up in season finale and kills Walder Frey and his two sons. That's not how I want to see it end, it's not justified. After the abysmal portrayal of HoBaW, I am just supposed to accept Arya as this living Terminator. NO! It's too ****** easy for her. She can't just teleport from Braavos to the Twins and I don't want to see House Frey go down easy as that. At least show us HOW she did it step by step. There is little to no suspense anymore. The scene just feels like Arya fanservice, I'm beginning to hate her character which is a shame.

Ed Sheeran was fine btw, I wasn't bothered. He sang a song and didn't say much else.

Rest of the episode:

+ Euron for making him better and because I like the actor

+ Jaime and Cersei interaction is good, dialogue is decent.

+ Sansa and Jon Snow callback to S1 (Father used to say anything before the word "but" was horseshit)

+ No sand snakes

- Lady Mormont fan service

- Euron's clothes, honestly they pull me out of the show

- Forced scenes between Tormund and Brienne, if Brienne likes Tormund after Renly and Jaime (two prettyboys) I'm out. 

- Davos had 5 seconds of screentime with no dialogue. Hi Davos.

- Dragonstone makes no sense, it's just empty? Nice strategic decision. Did the Lannisters forget Stannis in S2?

- In general completely abandoning logic

Edited by Yangster

On 7/11/2017 at 10:06 AM, Ran said:

What'd you think?

I know most of the episode was too slow but the last scene made up for everything.  Daenerys Targaryen's arrival on Dragonstone is the most important thing to happen since the birth of her dragons.  It was such a beautiful moment.  Daenerys gets down and puts her palm on the sand.  It was wonderful to watch.

I guess this one will get a 5. I might have gone with a decent 6 (or even 7, with the Hooray-it's-back! point added), but for the Frey massacre. Apart from making Arya a ittle *too* evil (I suppose she might end up being just as evil in the books, if they ever get written), has certain implausibilities. As in, how did she pretend to be Frey for two weeks?(*) She certainly learnt her stuff awfully fast after she stopped training.

North was better than I expected, with the not entirely motivated Jon-Sansa conflict. Jon ordering all the women and girls to fight seems a stretch for Westerosi culture, even with the WW threat, and do I remember correctly that hhe said "50%"? Would he really have talked like that? Sansa has a point about the castles and gets to put down Baelish. I'm not sure the showrunners are sure what they're doing with Sansa, although she seems pretty rational in this episode.

Why is Jaime even still with Cersei? Well-acted, though. Euron's ships are pretty impressive considering how quickly he dashed them together last season. The Night's King(*) is right, though, that it was really stupid to just ignore Dragonstone. Blackwater and all that.

Sam and Hound: both rather too long, I think. The Hound did get the nice scene atoning for robbing those people earlier, plus the flames thing.

Watching Daenerys come back to Dragonstone can't not be enjoyable. It doesn't look terribly inviting. At least Meereen had plants.

On second thoughts, maybe I should have gone with 6. Too late now.

(*) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSj4dOTM9Q

I give it a 7 - thought it was a good start, don't want to overrate it and just be happy it's back on.

Given some of the things we have seen with fast transitions of travel, messages, etc I'm ok with Arya going full auto on the Freys as was done.  More build up would have been nice, but there's only 52 minutes to get plot moved.

I'm of two minds about Sansa & Jon interaction.  On one hand it shows that she does have a strength she didn't have before, on the other she also has seen enough of the political game to know that the potential of showing a weakness in front of the court isn't a wise thing to do.

This is a nitpick - fully a nitpick, completely a nitpick.  I get it.  I hated Euron's costuming.  To me if felt more like he was getting ready to go out for a night in New York than coming off of his ship.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I gave episode 7-1 a rating of 7 -- in parts great, in total entertaining and fulfilling, however in parts missing important points.

• I liked Arya finishing of the Freys, but the logistics and time-frame behind it should have been explained at least a little bit. However, it was a fulminant start of 7-1.
  • I very much missed Jaime questioning Cersei wirh regards to blowing up the Baelor. He is the kingslayer, having earned this name by trying to avoid the Mad King performing a quite similar action. Jaime should have been outraged.
  • Very bad and illogical is Euron with 1000 ships. Where from? From his treeless islands? 10.000s of soldiers on the ships from where? Built in some months time?! The time-frame simply doesn't fit and his later deed of destroying the Dorne fleet could have been made possible with both fleets a lot smaller. This armada was stupid eye candy.
  • The Ed Sheeran scene was absolutely unnecessary and empty. Who wants to see popstars in a GoT? Me not.
  • The Hound scene was great. The Sansa/Jon difficulties a bit tedious and not so well plotted.

Overall, not much sexual attractive scenes which made GoT so popular. It's a pity they are turning into pure mainstream now. With dialogues, with sex, with violence. Just harmless mainstream.

• 4 weeks later...
On 22/7/2017 at 8:18 PM, Rosetta Stone said:

Sé que la mayoría del episodio fue demasiado lento, pero la última escena lo compensó todo. La llegada de Daenerys Targaryen a Dragonstone es lo más importante que ha sucedido desde el nacimiento de sus dragones. Fue un momento tan hermoso. Daenerys baja y pone su palma en la arena. Fue maravilloso ver.

it was horrible.

• 2 weeks later...

A bit late to the party here - only started watching this season last weekend. But I'll review each episode. I gave this one a 6. It seemed a bit scattered and had a similar problem to premieres of other seasons, in trying to cram every character into the episode, rather than actual story development. At least it didn't have a completely terrible scene like the previous premiere (Faullaria and the Sand Fakes "avenging" Oberyn and Elia by murdering the rest of their family). The production and music was really good in all episodes I've seen so far.

+ Jon Snow acquitted himself well as King in the North, making what I thought were good decisions and appropriately shooting down Sandra.

+ Arya's scene with the Lannister soldiers was nice, showing that not all Lannisters are bad (a bit like at the end of season #2, showing that not all Starks are good) and showing traces of humanity from Arya.

+ Euron is ok as a new villain, I guess. At least he's funny.

+ The Hound and the Brotherhood scene was ok with Sandor trying to right one of his wrongs.

+ As bad as the scene was, it was nice to see a cameo by David Bradley (Walder Frey). Which brings me to...

- Arya commits genocide against House Frey. This is implausible for one (how could she arrange to have all that wine poisoned, and get as tall as and speak like Walder) and it is impossible that all the Frey men could have been involved in the Red Wedding. This is extremely hypocritical of her (two wrongs don't make a right) and establishes as a villain rather than an anti-hero(ine). Also, it's overkill; she already avenged the Red Wedding at the end of last season. This was overkill and none of the victims were on her hit list.

- Everything done by Sandra. She insisted that the sons be held responsible for the sins of the fathers, even though they're kids, and argued with Jon both in private and in front of everyone. Worst of all, she expressed admiration for the worst person in Westeros (Cersei) who was also her tormentor. And she was rude to Littlefinger when it sounded like he was trying to help her. Whatever happened to Sansa who was one of my favourite characters in seasons 2-4? Sandra is pretty-much the opposite of the character she "replaced".

- Add Harold Karstark to the list of characters who magically died offscreen.

- Cersei's BS about Tommen betraying her when it was the other way around.

- Jaime inexplicably forgiving Cersei for all her atrocities with the Sept explosion and the deaths of Kevan/Lancel not even mentioned.

- The scene at the end arriving on Dragonstone, while dramatic, dragged a bit and pales in comparison to a similar one in season #1 episode #1 when King Robert's entourage arrives at Winterfell.

- Sam's scenes at the Citadel. I had no idea until I read the recap that the guy who came out of the wall was Jorah.

Edited by CaptainTheo

• 3 months later...