Ran

Gaaaah, Sansa is thinking small with her arguing.  Jon has seen beyond the wall and knows now is not the time for petty battles.  He needs every single living body on their side.  He did pretty much the same thing he did with the Wildlings...put aside petty differences for the greater good.

She reminds me of her mother, Cat was constantly arguing with Robb and look where she ended?  

Now the Hound.....omg....they are building his character up!!

Rating 7/10

What I liked

• A good setup episode
  • Sam’s montage and conversation with the Archmaester (yay Jim Broadbent)
  • Arya’s sit down with the Lannister men: while her saying she wants to kill the queen was kinda stupid, even though she will probably kill those men, there was clear struggle on her face when she heard the men talk about average stuff, and she probably realized she would be killing decent folk
  • The Hound and the BWB
  • The details of the sets, the costumes, visuals, etc etc

What I didn’t like

• Arya completing her destruction of the Freys with poisoned Arbor gold that was red was just another rush job, because hey, we’ve got only 7 episodes this season, and need more space for Emilia Clarke empty stares, and pointless conversations
  • Emilia Clarke’s empty stare as Daenerys came upon the place of her birth, and the beginnings of the Targaryen legacy.
  • The dialogues between Cersei and Jaime continue to be cringe worthy, but at least there is some defiance in Jaime now. Not sure why Cersei invited Euron with his entire fleet there, but then told him to fuck off.
  • Sansa’s ridiculous undermining of Jon’s authority. Don’t know if she did it on purpose, because of Littlefinger, or she is still just the stupid girl from the early seasons. At least, the scene did provide Jon with the opportunity to masterfully regain his bannermen’s confidence.

1 hour ago, NikkiG said:

Either this show has been gone for so long that everything seems entertaining or this is truly one of the best first episodes they have done in a while

Personally, I think the show massively benefits from not have any book material to directly parallel it to. I honestly felt I enjoyed the show for the show in that episode. Character arcs may be different from those in the book in places, but they work within the context of the arcs the show has built.

Thoughts on the episode:

• Euron was delightful. It's nice to have a character with some swagger on a show that's often so somber
  • Jaime is finally starting to stand his ground. His reaction to Euron's two-hands joke was hilarious
  • Dany's ascent on Dragonstone was really good, although it reminded me a bit too much of The Force Awakens and I didn't care for Dany's line, "shall we begin." She didn't even phrase it as a question
  • Even though I understand where Jon's coming from, Sansa really is trying to help him. I was really surprised when Jon made that derisive remark about having to listen to his sister's advice, but Sansa's gentle response, "would that really be such a terrible thing?" showed a lot of maturity and restraint on her part
  • Brienne's becoming a rather banal character. Maybe it's just because she isn't given much to do
  • I loved the scene with the Lannister soldiers
  • Somehow Sam became the show's comedic relief
  • Gilly has a way of lighting up any scene. Hannah Murray's performance is quite underrated, in my opinion
  • D&D must have something in store for Jorah, because I can't see why else they wouldn't have killed him off by now.
  • Lyanna's scene wasn't as cringe-inducing as I thought it would be, but I still feel like the show is trying too hard with her.
  • I'm not sure what Sansa's going to do about Littlefinger. A lot of fans have long expected her to seduce him and then kill him while his guard is down, but that's about three seasons too late for me, at this point. I hope they get rid of him early on
  • Cersei does have a point about one thing. Seeing as the Tysha reveal isn't a part of the show, Tyrion is basically betraying Jaime by siding with the people who killed his daughter and probably want to also kill him
  • The Hound's scenes were all pretty good. I'm curious as to why they had LF bring up him being defeated in single combat by Brienne
Edited by The Bard of Banefort

I think it was well made overall. Only complaints I have:

1. The friction between Sansa and Jon is so artificial. So, they invited Ned Umber and Alys Karstark to Winterfell but they had to do all the discussion in front of everyone?
2. Sam is supposed to be this all-smart guy and he never once tells anyone about obsidian at Dragonstone. When an army of the DEAD led by Whitewalkers are marching towards them. Seriously?
3. Also, Euron is annoying. I don't know if it's the actor or character or the plot(1000 ships? Where did he get the manpower?). Hope his storyline gets better.

What I loved:

1. The Frey Party. Enough said.
2. Arya with Lannister soldiers. It was such a relief that they showed the human side of the soldiers probably for the first time. Ed Sheeran looked out of place but the other guys made up for it.
3. The friction between Jaime and Cersei. You can sense that it's there but they are also working together as much as they can.
4. Brotherhood without Banners.
5. Wight giants and the rest.

Meh:

1. Dragonstone looked so epic. The atmosphere was cool and the setting was just marvelous. Until, Dany says, "Shall we begin?" Kinda killed the tone but it was still a good ending for the premiere.
2. "Extended" scene of Sam's chores. Reminds of the House of Black & White.
3. North. Particularly Lady Mormont & Lord Glover.

What happened to euron?

he looks and sounds like a British rock band lead vocalist. Last season he was much "scarier".

nice throwback by Jon to his uncle Benjen telling Tyrion "what people say before the but is shit"(something like that). They really make him speak like how Ned stark used to speak. And there is the same grabbing of the neck of little finger on the way.

Might Jon snow be on the same path that his father took and Sansa tried to warn him?

33 minutes ago, Ice Walker said:

I think it was well made overall. Only complaints I have:

1. The friction between Sansa and Jon is so artificial. So, they invited Ned Umber and Alys Karstark to Winterfell but they had to do all the discussion in front of everyone?

Exactly. Doesn't Jon have a small council? It looks like he is making decisions without any advisers. 

2 hours ago, NikkiG said:

Either this show has been gone for so long that everything seems entertaining or this is truly one of the best first episodes they have done in a while

I think it's just that there are no more book/show differences to complain about.

I thought the conflict between Jon and Sansa was very well done. They both have a point, from their own perspectives. Jon hails from the Ned Stark School of Honor and Even-Handedness, while Sansa learned politics from the family that exterminated House Reyne to the last man, woman and child.

I'm not sure who is (more) right. I lean toward Jon, but he's not setting a very good example for other ambitious Northern lords. And I know he knows these petty ambitions don't matter anymore, but that doesn't mean the ambitious Northern lords know it.

Did anyone else notice when Sam was looking through the book before he flipped to the page with the map of dragonstone there was a picture of the dagger that the assassin used to try and kill bran. Was it just a collection of valyrian steel blades or something more. I'd say that definitely had to be nymeria in the ep 2 promo. Three wight giants, that we saw makes me start to see how the dead could bring down a dragon. This season is going to be fire and blood. Seems as though bran has learned a fair bit since we last saw him in season 6 as well. I hate the fact that there seems to be such a huge pothole when it comes to euron. Are D&D really trying to tell us that between the time Yara and Theon left pyke, arrived in Meeren and were nearly back to KL he magically found enough men on those tiny rocks after Y/T LEFT with enough men to man all the ships they stole. That they built 1000 ships or whatever with no trees to speak of and still had enough men to man all of them?  Give me a fucking break. My only complaint about the whole episode is that. 

59 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I agree that this is a pretty glaring plot hole. 

I actually disagree, I felt their disagreement was a natural progression for both their characters and the different things they have experienced. I agree the conflict should have occurred behind closed doors though.

What I enjoyed most about it though is that there's no absolutely right answer either way; Jon is right not to punish sons for the sins of their fathers and Sansa is right to try to reward loyalty and not have people close to them who might hold grudges.

30 minutes ago, Greg B said:

I thought the conflict between Jon and Sansa was very well done. They both have a point, from their own perspectives. Jon hails from the Ned Stark School of Honor and Even-Handedness, while Sansa learned politics from the family that exterminated House Reyne to the last man, woman and child.

I'm not sure who is (more) right. I lean toward Jon, but he's not setting a very good example for other ambitious Northern lords. And I know he knows these petty ambitions don't matter anymore, but that doesn't mean the ambitious Northern lords know it.

"When your enemies defy you, you must serve them steel and fire. When they go to their knees, however, you must help them back to their feet. Elsewise no man will ever bend the knee to you." - Tywin Lannister

Edit: Also, wasn't Sansa begging to Joffrey? The moment when Joff "punished" her for her brother's crimes.

Edited by Ice Walker
Add point.