Ran

2 minutes ago, xjlxking said:

AHHH

Okay, that part escaped me when I read the books. 

So it''s definitely more possible. Still, I hope they are not good. You'd think if they were that good, Tywin would use them to kill her

The thing with the Faceless Men is that they are VERY expensive. It's said in the books that the costs of hiring one faceless man is equal to the amount it would take to hire an army. 

Tywin would have to sacrifice a huge part of his wealth to kill one person. The Faceless Men are the elite assassins of Planetos and to hire one of them, one has to part with the greatest part of what they find valuable and most people aren't willing to do that. It's easier to hire cheaper, less talented assassins. 

Regarding Tywin......I forget about how it went down in the show, but in the books......Tywin didn't really believed the hype about the Dragon Queen beyond the Narrow Sea. Most people simply think she is a rumor, spread by drunken sailors.

22 hours ago, Christina Ceriddwynn said:

Gaaaah, Sansa is thinking small with her arguing.  Jon has seen beyond the wall and knows now is not the time for petty battles.  He needs every single living body on their side.  He did pretty much the same thing he did with the Wildlings...put aside petty differences for the greater good.

She reminds me of her mother, Cat was constantly arguing with Robb and look where she ended?  

Now the Hound.....omg....they are building his character up!!

You're kidding, right? Catelyn was constantly arguing with Robb because his decisions were idiotic. Like executing Lord Karstark because of "honor" and losing all his men when he could have punished him some other way. Catelyn ended up dead because ROBB was stupid enough to break his marriage pact with the Freys, not because she dared argued with him. Get a grip.

3 hours ago, xjlxking said:

They clearly gave us a hint about the dagger from season 1. There was a good 2-3 second where it was almost focused on. I wonder why? it's probably some sort of key

It would be fitting if Littlefinger came a cropper on his dagger ... i.e. his role in causing the war of the five kings is revealed.

I.e. after tension between Jon and Sansa, a revelation about the dagger would tie in with Bran and make them realise they are both Starks (even though Jon isn't).

As for Euron's gift for Cersei (not sure where I came by the info, so I put it in the spoiler tags)

Spoiler

Euron is going to capture Yara, Ellaria and Tyenne and bring them to KL, so he gives Cersei her vengeance for Myrcella.

However, it did capture my attention that he had always wanted to marry "the most beautiful woman in the world", which is supposed to be Dany, not Cersei. Given that Dany is his original goal in the books... what if he intends to play this game repeatedly? Give Cersei what she wants, and then turn on her and present her to Dany? He doesn't exactly need Cersei, does he? 

51 minutes ago, ummester said:

So did anyone else think this episode spoiled who was going to strangle Cersie by having her standing on the neck, when Jamie was standing on the fingers? I also noticed a lot of dialogue around cerise about sibling killing.

I don't think many people noticed :D

Is it a popular theory now? I haven't really discussed theories for a while - there being no more books and such a long wait between seasons. People used to write off Jamie being the valonqar a couple of years ago but Jamie being the PtwP and Cerise his Nyssa Nyssa always appealed to me.

4 minutes ago, ummester said:

Is it a popular theory now? I haven't really discussed theories for a while - there being no more books and such a long wait between seasons. People used to write off Jamie being the valonqar a couple of years ago but Jamie being the PtwP and Cerise his Nyssa Nyssa always appealed to me.

I don't follow all the theories these days much, either, but I have always considered Jaime a hot candidate, especially with Cersei's growing fascination with wildfire and generally becoming more and more like Aerys. I'm not letting Tyrion completely off the hook yet - self-fulfilling prophecy, an enemy of her own creation - but her relationship with Jaime has gone very sour and that mention that they are going to leave the world together as they entered it, IMHO, doesn't bode well. Something like, she sets KL on fire, he strangles her and then burns with her :-(

This isn't to the level of a "Rant and rave" but I feel like Cersei shouldn't have nearly the military strength to withstand a siege by any of the factions out there.  With King's Landing in near complete anarchy by now, the sparrows all dead, the gold cloaks decimated, the Tyrells are enemies now, the Freys are dead, the Vale's in the North, the who does she think will back her?  Where is she going to get food?  I feel like the show is going to fudge things to make Cersei more formidable, where every decision she's made has made her own position a house of cards. 

Either way, the season is off to a good start. 

17 hours ago, xjlxking said:

I don't know about everyone else, but I HATE the Sansa-Jon tension/rivalry; It does not feel authentic, nor genuine. Sansa's character has taken a huge change; she was never this confrontational. What changed? It's too sudden. Jon's character is also very weird. He suddenly does want to take advice... What changed? She confronts him and then she says, "he is really good leader". She does not offer. She pretends she is smart yet has never made a smart decision.    Does anyone else agree?

I have been pondering that as well. Maybe they have some unresolved tension from the time where he was a bastard and she was a highborn lady?

I am also somewhat baffled that Jon does not take the opportunity to have breakfest meetings with her before the court meetings to discuss politics and strategy. After all, Jon knows about the Wall and the white walkers, while Sansa knows about politics and the threat from the South. In many ways they ought to complement each other quite well ... except they don't ...

20 hours ago, King Jon Snow Stark said:

I thought they were both right... He's the king so he ended up making the decision. If he went Sansa's way where would he have put those kids?

I would tend to agree that both were reasonable paths to take. While not said, both the Karstarks and the Umbers bled and died for Robb. Alternatives could have been to marry Alys off to, say, a wildling chief? Or to send the boy to another ally as a ward, e.g. like Theon.

A couple random thoughts after the episode.

Very concerned for Arya now that we know she is heading south instead of north.  I don't think she will find as easy a time with the Lanisters as she did the Freys.  Could she have come all this way only to make a rash decision and be either killed or captured for it?

If Jon heads to Dragonstone to negotiate for dragonglass and Bran shows up at Winterfell while he is gone with the tale that Jon is not Ned's son, will Sansa use that opportunity to take over?  

Finally, everyone keeps talking about the White Walkers as this extreme threat, but as of yet we have no idea of their motivation.  Given time traveling shenanigans as shown by the Hodor episode, could the WW army have been formed to protect the north from invasion by Dragons and Dothraki?

A few quick things that I thought of.  My first thought when Euron told Cersei he would bring her a gift was a dragon egg or a dragon.  To even out the playing field some.  Also who is to say that Tyrion or Jamie will kill Cersei.  It could be anyone who is a little brother (Euron, Jon, Bran, Benjen, Sandor, the list goes on).  It could also be a little sister (in the books Aemon did say that TPTWP didn't necessarily have to be a guy since dragons have been known to change gender).

Also Sam is still Sam the Slayer, he just slays full and stinky bed pans and chamber pots.

Will post more after a rewatch.

In the show world, after Episode 1, are there any male offspring from the major Houses left to continue the family name?

Baratheon: None

Stark: Bran, but he won't end up leader of the Starks.

Lannister: Not unless Tyrion or Cersei have more kids or Jamie leaves the Kingsguard; i.e., very unlikely.

Tyrell: None

Greyjoy: Really hard to say, but doesn't seem like any of the men will see the end of the series, except maybe Theon (who isn't having kids).

Frey: Not after Episode 1.

Arryn: Who knows what the show is going to do with Robin?

Tully: Did Arya set Edmure free or will he be forgotten in a Frey dungeon for all eternity?

Martell: They don't follow the male-only heir rules, but it will still be interesting to see who's left at the end.

Sure, there are plenty of Lannister cousins mentioned in the books, but I'm talking in strict lines of inheritance from the original family heads (Tywin, Ned, Robert, etc.), as we've seen in the books.

On a side note, I laughed out loud when they rallied around Jon Snow as de facto head of House Stark, because we all know things none of the other Northern families know. Would they all unite under a Targaryen banner?

47 minutes ago, Ser Sinister said:

In the show world, after Episode 1, are there any male offspring from the major Houses left to continue the family name?

Lannister: Not unless Tyrion or Cersei have more kids or Jamie leaves the Kingsguard; i.e., very unlikely.

Greyjoy: Really hard to say, but doesn't seem like any of the men will see the end of the series, except maybe Theon (who isn't having kids).

Tully: Did Arya set Edmure free or will he be forgotten in a Frey dungeon for all eternity?

Martell: They don't follow the male-only heir rules, but it will still be interesting to see who's left at the end.

Sure, there are plenty of Lannister cousins mentioned in the books, but I'm talking in strict lines of inheritance from the original family heads (Tywin, Ned, Robert, etc.), as we've seen in the books.

On a side note, I laughed out loud when they rallied around Jon Snow as de facto head of House Stark, because we all know things none of the other Northern families know. Would they all unite under a Targaryen banner?

Jaime left the Kingsguard to save Tyrion whe he was arrested for Joffery's death.

1 hour ago, Ser Sinister said:

Bolton - None!

Baratheon - Gendry if he ever stops rowing and is legitimized