Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

Went over 24 hours without a thread so here we are. 

Latest rumblings have Kyle Walker to City for 50 mil. Not surprising they forked over the asking price after Alves ditched them for PSG.

also Bonnuci to Milan seems to be in the works. Milan are going to have some lofty expectations after this window. Especially if they land one of Aubameyang or Belotti. 

Another tragic incident of a player collapsing during a game due to cardiac arrhythmia. The incident took place on Saturday and scans have now confirmed that Abdelhak Nouri has suffered serious and permanent brain damage.

From previous thread:

Mark Antony said:

Would Arsenal really risk letting him join City (or whoever) on a free next year rather than try and cash in if he wasnt willing to re sign?

They might. Dortmund did the same with Lewandowski where they could have gotten a fee. As United are finding out (and Liverpool have known for a long time) once you drop out of that top tier, it is very difficult and, in United's case, very expensive to try and get back in. I think we can all agree that Arsenal's chances of CL football are much better with Sanchez than without him. The Arsenal board might very well consider that a risk worth taking. Then there's the issue of all the fan outrage last season and selling Sanchez to a league rival would not go down well. The board might be sensitive to that as well. Finally, there is always the possibility that some good additions to the squad coupled with a strong start to the season may convince Sanchez to sign an extension.

5 hours ago, Consigliere said:

From previous thread:

They might. Dortmund did the same with Lewandowski where they could have gotten a fee. As United are finding out (and Liverpool have known for a long time) once you drop out of that top tier, it is very difficult and, in United's case, very expensive to try and get back in. I think we can all agree that Arsenal's chances of CL football are much better with Sanchez than without him. The Arsenal board might very well consider that a risk worth taking. Then there's the issue of all the fan outrage last season and selling Sanchez to a league rival would not go down well. The board might be sensitive to that as well. Finally, there is always the possibility that some good additions to the squad coupled with a strong start to the season may convince Sanchez to sign an extension.

I agree with all of this. I don't believe they'll sell him and I think they'll work on him to sign a new contract throughout the season.

In other news, Lacazette scored his first goal after 15 minutes in Arsenal's first friendly. That's nice. Also, we don't tend to put a value on strikers who can take penalties but after another miss, this time by Welbeck, I think buying a striker who can finish and can score from the spot is good business.

I agree with Arsenal keeping Sanchez and potentially letting him go for nothing if that's the way the cookie crumbles. If they hadn't bought Lacazette, I would have been less comfortable with that line. But having bought Lacazette, there's a (small) chance that Sanchez could sign an extension during the season if things go well and a genuine title challenge is on the cards. I'm not being completely naive when I say that - obviously persuading someone to sign an extension when they could virtually have their pick of clubs in a few months' time would be a very hard thing to do. So it would only be an outside chance he would do so.

However, assuming we then view Sanchez's upcoming season as a $50m loan for his services, that also deprives other challengers of his talents, it's a steep price from a business side, but from a fan/footballing side a reasonable case could be made for it. The main thing we now need to sort out is a deep-lying midfielder. We can't count on Cazorla being back, which means there would be a very heavy reliance on Xhaka to distribute to Ozil/Sanchez/Lacazette. That might well work, but it doesn't fill me with confidence. We need a deep-lying midfielder who is strong on the ball, a good and quick passer, and preferably a decent dribbler as well.

9 hours ago, Jeor said:

I agree with Arsenal keeping Sanchez and potentially letting him go for nothing if that's the way the cookie crumbles. If they hadn't bought Lacazette, I would have been less comfortable with that line. But having bought Lacazette, there's a (small) chance that Sanchez could sign an extension during the season if things go well and a genuine title challenge is on the cards. I'm not being completely naive when I say that - obviously persuading someone to sign an extension when they could virtually have their pick of clubs in a few months' time would be a very hard thing to do. So it would only be an outside chance he would do so.

However, assuming we then view Sanchez's upcoming season as a $50m loan for his services, that also deprives other challengers of his talents, it's a steep price from a business side, but from a fan/footballing side a reasonable case could be made for it. The main thing we now need to sort out is a deep-lying midfielder. We can't count on Cazorla being back, which means there would be a very heavy reliance on Xhaka to distribute to Ozil/Sanchez/Lacazette. That might well work, but it doesn't fill me with confidence. We need a deep-lying midfielder who is strong on the ball, a good and quick passer, and preferably a decent dribbler as well.

I'm totally fine with Xhaka distributing the ball from deep. I think that's one of his strengths. I do think he needs a good partner though and while at times, Ramsey/Chamberlain/Coquelin/Elneny play great, they are not at all consistent.

So it turns out there is a plus with Rooney. He scores in a friendly, and videos show up on the BBC. 

We aren't in the silly season news that often, so this is free PR. Now, if he delivers something when the season actually starts..

So it looks like Spurs are going to sell Walker to City and maybe sell Dier to United. That strikes me as a little bit odd. Ok Spurs don't exactly need them but they're at least somewhat weakening their squad while not appearing to show too much interest in making signings plus strengthening two rivals. Seems a bit lacking in ambition.

On the Liverpool front I'm a little concerned with the lack of signings beyond Salah. I'm not too fussed about whether they spend a hundred and whatever million on Keita and Van Dijk but the big problem last year was the lack of squad depth and there's more games to worry about this year. Salah's an improvement on that front but some mid level squad player type signings in time for a full preseason with Klopp would have been nice.

2 hours ago, ljkeane said:

So it looks like Spurs are going to sell Walker to City and maybe sell Dier to United. That strikes me as a little bit odd. Ok Spurs don't exactly need them but they're at least somewhat weakening their squad while not appearing to show too much interest in making signings plus strengthening two rivals. Seems a bit lacking in ambition.

On the Liverpool front I'm a little concerned with the lack of signings beyond Salah. I'm not too fussed about whether they spend a hundred and whatever million on Keita and Van Dijk but the big problem last year was the lack of squad depth and there's more games to worry about this year. Salah's an improvement on that front but some mid level squad player type signings in time for a full preseason with Klopp would have been nice.

I agree that our depth is a big concern, although -- in usual preseason optimism mode -- I would hope that some of our young players get more time in the two cup competitions this year.  Woodburn, Kent, Ejaria, Ojo, A-A all need some playing time at senior level, whether PL or on loan, if they are to develop.

I agree Liverpool need depth but I think Klopps goal is to sign quality and turn players who started a lot of the time last season (Lovren, Wijnaldum, Can, maybe even Lallana) into that depth. 

Sadly Leipzig and Southampton aren't just gonna hand over their best players to us.

I don't think Spurs are weakened by losing Walker and clearly don't care that much, but I don't think they're at all interested in selling Dier. Just coz we want him doesn't mean we'll get him. If we do it'll be for a mega price and they'll bring someone in to replace (although, with Wanyama in the team already, a direct DM replacement won't be as crucial, and they may get someone a bit more creative).

Bit curious as to why they aren't appearing to try to strengthen the team at the mo, but maybe they're trying to let everyone else shoot their load, then get someone in a bit more quietly to try to not get shafted on price. They need depth more than they need first team players, but another forward, who can fill in for Kane but also play elsewhere, really wouldn't go amiss.

3 hours ago, ljkeane said:

I think Klopp already has that in most of the position. The versatility he demands from his players, and some of the younger upcoming players should cover most positions. E.g from the top of my head:

- CF: Firmino, Sturridge, Origi, (Ings when he is fit) and Solanke if needed
- Wingers: Coutinho, Mane, Salah (Lallana + one of the CF can fill this role if injury hits these guys, as well as Woodburn if last season is anything to go by. There there is Ojo, and potentially markovic if he stays)
- Attacking mids: Lallana, Gini, (Can, Coutinho and Milner can also fill these position as well, with Grujic/Ejaria as backup and probably Woodburn as well since he played in this position during the first warmup match)
- Defensive mid: Hendo and Lucas if he stays (backups in Can, and worst case Stewart or Milner)
- LB: Milner, Moreno (backup Flanno, worst case Gomez)
- RB: Clyne (backup Alexander-arnold, worst case Flanno, Gomez or Milner with Moreno taking LB)
- CB: Lovren, Matip, Klavan, (backup Gomez, worst case Can drops in. Assuming sakho won't be in the squad, Lucas is going and no VVD)

The key to the squad is the versatility of Milner and Can. And Lucas too but he seems to be leaving. Situation would be quite bad in midfield if Can leaves. Injury to Lallana and Gini would expose the attacking mid roles.

RB and DM looks pretty threadbare in terms of backups, but I expect Milner is a key piece in the jigsaw for this area.

34 minutes ago, Mexal said:

Arsenal really want Thomas Lemar. Not sure I've seen many situations where everyone seems to be talking about trying to sign him (Ornstein, Gavidis, Wenger). Hope they get him.

Yikes Monaco are truly being gutted. Mendy, Bakayoko, Lemar all probably joining Bernardo Silva in the Prem. Would be a great signing for Arsenal though. Who would've thought missing out on CL would give them their best window in years

3 minutes ago, Mark Antony said:

Yikes Monaco are truly being gutted. Mendy, Bakayoko, Lemar all probably joining Bernardo Silva in the Prem. Would be a great signing for Arsenal though. Who would've thought missing out on CL would give them their best window in years

Looks like they're finally willing to pay the prices though Monaco is playing hard ball with Lemar. They may not let him leave even if they are strongly after him. But one thing is clear, they really really want him. If they do get him, I'm going to be extremely excited for this season. Just want to see us sell some guys.

3 hours ago, The Winged Shadow said:

I think Klopp already has that in most of the position. The versatility he demands from his players, and some of the younger upcoming players should cover most positions. E.g from the top of my head:

- CF: Firmino, Sturridge, Origi, (Ings when he is fit) and Solanke if needed
- Wingers: Coutinho, Mane, Salah (Lallana + one of the CF can fill this role if injury hits these guys, as well as Woodburn if last season is anything to go by. There there is Ojo, and potentially markovic if he stays)
- Attacking mids: Lallana, Gini, (Can, Coutinho and Milner can also fill these position as well, with Grujic/Ejaria as backup and probably Woodburn as well since he played in this position during the first warmup match)
- Defensive mid: Hendo and Lucas if he stays (backups in Can, and worst case Stewart or Milner)
- LB: Milner, Moreno (backup Flanno, worst case Gomez)
- RB: Clyne (backup Alexander-arnold, worst case Flanno, Gomez or Milner with Moreno taking LB)
- CB: Lovren, Matip, Klavan, (backup Gomez, worst case Can drops in. Assuming sakho won't be in the squad, Lucas is going and no VVD)

The key to the squad is the versatility of Milner and Can. And Lucas too but he seems to be leaving. Situation would be quite bad in midfield if Can leaves. Injury to Lallana and Gini would expose the attacking mid roles.

RB and DM looks pretty threadbare in terms of backups, but I expect Milner is a key piece in the jigsaw for this area.

Well, Lucas is out. And Liverpool seems to miss out on their primary targets (van Dijk and Keita (the latter being hardly surprising)). And they really want another good player for the CB position and one good player for CDM/CM with a good vision and distribution. And that's the upgrades for a starting XI. They have thus far addressed one need with another winger to cover/play alongside Mane, and that's Salah. But with the increased number of matches next season, that squad looks still rather thin on a few positions.

Anyway, I would have gone with a different thread title.

Football 22 men chase a ball and in the end nobody signs for Liverpool.

4 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I don't think Spurs are weakened by losing Walker and clearly don't care that much, but I don't think they're at all interested in selling Dier. Just coz we want him doesn't mean we'll get him. If we do it'll be for a mega price and they'll bring someone in to replace (although, with Wanyama in the team already, a direct DM replacement won't be as crucial, and they may get someone a bit more creative).

Agree on both Walker and Dier. Spurs will be just fine without Walker and they've got a bumper price as well. Don't see Dier being sold either. Not really sure how much interest we actually have since the press has been linking us with a host of midfielders. We are probably better off looking abroad as Dier is going to be massively overpriced.

Archived