Football: Silly season

Mark Antony

Burnley destroying Chelsea. Conte is not a happy camper.

33 minutes ago, Soylent Brown said:

Firmino was poor, with nearly every touch going to a Watford player in the first half. He put away his penalty nicely, and got an assist from a lob that was going wide, so no doubt the Liverpool fans on Reddit and elsewhere will be masturbating furiously about how amazing he is, but he really doesn't do it for me in the games against smaller teams.

Where the heck is Sturridge? Is he injured again?

Klopp really needs to use Sturridge instead of Firmino in these type of games where pressing is not as important.

2 minutes ago, Consigliere said:

Klopp really needs to use Sturridge instead of Firmino in these type of games where pressing is not as important.

He had a thigh injury, minor one, during preseason. Apparently he was close to ready for this game, but wasn't risked and will be ready for CL qualifier midweek (hopefully!).

3 minutes ago, King Tyrant said:

Liverpool look like they are competing with Arsenal for the title "team with the biggest gap in quality between defence and attack". 

In Arsenal's defence (hah), we were at least missing our two first-choice CBs (Koscielny and Mustafi). Whereas I'm guessing the Lovren-Matip CB pairing is going to be Liverpool's starting combination for the foreseeable future unless Klavan is better or Sakho gets a look-in.

Still, I'm hoping that leaking 3 goals was down to missing Kos/Mustafi and not more deep-seated issues with Wenger's training methods (we did lose some to set plays).

Liverpool's defensive play gives an impression of an amateur side, especially on set pieces.

Klopp seems to be sticking with his "we'll score one more than the opposition" philosophy which simply does not work in modern football.

I don't know if Van Dijk is the solution to their defensive problems but something must be done to avoid conceding goals like the three today.

1 hour ago, Jeor said:

In Arsenal's defence (hah), we were at least missing our two first-choice CBs (Koscielny and Mustafi). Whereas I'm guessing the Lovren-Matip CB pairing is going to be Liverpool's starting combination for the foreseeable future unless Klavan is better or Sakho gets a look-in.

Still, I'm hoping that leaking 3 goals was down to missing Kos/Mustafi and not more deep-seated issues with Wenger's training methods (we did lose some to set plays).

Eh, I wouldn't stress over it. Two of the three goals were on mistakes during set pieces and the third goal was Xhaka's fault (plus a perfect pass from Albright), not the back 4/5. I think we'll be ok in the long run. 

My issue is we still need a CM like Seri to pair with Xhaka. Elneny will not cut it.

Can't think of a worse way to start the season. I'm in Hawaiian time now so only saw the second half. Good control by Chelsea in desperation mode but not enough to come back. Morata played well in his debut off the bench. He seems to play well with his head. Luiz was ever the wild man. Nice goal to pull within one. His long balls kill me sometimes. Saw the clip of Cahill and the red card. Lunges in with spikes exposed so I can't complain about it. Can't complain about cesc's second yellow leading to red. That's a foul. However, I hear the first yellow was because he was mocking the ref by applauding? Those guys have god compexes. In every sport. Can't stand that shit. Need hazard back asap, and need some consistency on defense. Terrible off set pieces. I'd like to see Christensen start. Wouldn't mind Cahill staying on the bench. Didn't see much of rudiger in second half so can't comment. 

3 minutes ago, l2 0 5 5 said:

However, I hear the first yellow was because he was mocking the ref by applauding?

I haven't seen the incident so I don't know why he was clapping, but disrespecting the ref should be yellowable, and sarcastic clapping is a cheap and easy way to get yourself a card so a stupid thing to do.

Conte is coming over all Mourinho in his post-match interview. He said before the season he wanted to avoid a "Mourinho season" but it already looks like that hasn't worked. He was moaning about having had players sent off in their last three games and sarcastically suggested they start practicing with ten men in preparation. Perhaps he would be better off teaching his players better discipline?

2 hours ago, polishgenius said:

I haven't seen the incident so I don't know why he was clapping, but disrespecting the ref should be yellowable, and sarcastic clapping is a cheap and easy way to get yourself a card so a stupid thing to do.

Yeah I didn't see it either so I can't comment on it other than generally speaking about refs and how butt hurt they get about shit like that. 

4 hours ago, Consigliere said:

Firmino starts over Sturridge even if Danny is 100%. Klopp loves him.

His passing definitely needs to get better, I agree with Soylent that he misplaces too many and he didn't contribute much in the first half cause the midfield was invisible (Hendo and Gini were invisible all fucking game, at least Emre showed some life in the 2nd half) but overall I thought he was fine, at least 5/6 Liverpool players were well worse than him. 

Archived