Different types of wights? How do you defeat them? Fire vs Ice

Frey Kings

In this religion: R'hllor has a champion (AA), and the Great Other may have a champion. But we know the Great Other's side can resurrect wights. So to even out the playing field, that means R'hllor's side can also resurrect their own form of wights?  The wights we know about can be defeated by Fire, but could R'hllor's wights may be defeated by Ice? But in what capacity? You have to hurl ice fast enough so it won't melt. The climate you fight in may gave a advantage...  But I may be over excepting, perhaps their version of ice weaponry won't melt fast away like ice cubes in a drink. 

Lastly, the Great Other may have their own prophecy centering around their champion (Great Other has its own lightbringer)? Maybe I'm thinking too much of this, and the War for the Dawn was just a fairy tale  that was misinterpreted generation by generation, and by the time someone written it down, it has done a complete 180? Thoughts/Opinions

Does this mean Patchface is a water wight? How do you kill something that's already been drowned? What is dead may never die, indeed. 

Back to the original question, fire kills wights, and dragonglass kills Others. Could weirwood kill fire wights? Brandon Snow believed they could kill dragons, so I suppose it's a possibility. 

1 hour ago, kissdbyfire said:

Is there a Great Other, or is that just an assumption on Mel's part? 

If R'hllor exists, then the Great Other also exists. IMO he has different Names: the Lion of Night, the Black Goat of Qohor, the Stranger of Westeros.

In Qohor he is the Black Goat, in Yi Ti the Lion of Night, in Westeros the Stranger. All men must bow to him in the end.

It is said, during the first Long Night, the Lion of Night came forth in all his wroth to punish the wickedness of men. And that is what is happening now.

13 hours ago, StraightFromAsshai said:

In this religion: R'hllor has a champion (AA), and the Great Other may have a champion. But we know the Great Other's side can resurrect wights. So to even out the playing field, that means R'hllor's side can also resurrect their own form of wights?  The wights we know about can be defeated by Fire, but could R'hllor's wights may be defeated by Ice? But in what capacity? You have to hurl ice fast enough so it won't melt. The climate you fight in may gave a advantage...  But I may be over excepting, perhaps their version of ice weaponry won't melt fast away like ice cubes in a drink. 

Lastly, the Great Other may have their own prophecy centering around their champion (Great Other has its own lightbringer)? Maybe I'm thinking too much of this, and the War for the Dawn was just a fairy tale  that was misinterpreted generation by generation, and by the time someone written it down, it has done a complete 180? Thoughts/Opinions

That's the legend.  How much of it is true remains to be seen.  It's not even fact that those two exists.  One thing to keep in mind.  The Others are a form of life (according to GM) but the wights are just the reanimated remains of people.  Reanimated flesh doesn't mean living flesh.  Dondarrion is alive.  There is a difference.  Jon Snow will be a wight if the Others bring him back. 

3 hours ago, Free Northman Reborn said:

Is this in connection to Martin's recently published interview with Time, where he refers to Beric Dondarrion as a Fire Wight, as opposed to the Ice wights raised by the Others?

I saw that too! I was happy to see him say that, I've been using ice and fire wights for years.:)

Just now, kissdbyfire said:

I saw that too! I was happy to see him say that, I've been using ice and fire wights for years.:)

I remember that. I think this was the first time that a fire wight possibility even crossed my mind. Good pondering kissdbyfire! :thumbsup:

28 minutes ago, kissdbyfire said:

I'm glad, too! For quite a long time I had the idea, that the Riverlands would be the new border when the Wall breaks, crowding the North with ice wights. When that happens, the BwB could secure that border under the lead of Brienne, who became a fire wight. Then Thoros systematically resurrects the best men hanged by Stoneheart for an army of wights. No big deal, since such an army needs no food and no sleep. It's all the Riverlands have to offer now, a whole lot of dead men. ;-)

3 hours ago, kissdbyfire said:

Well, I thought R'hllor couldn't resurrect someone. The privilege of the true Death God. Yet I'm still not understanding why he would resurrect some guy for free in the Riverlands. I thought Beric and later LSH were doing somewhat the same job as the Others.

5 minutes ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Well, I thought R'hllor couldn't resurrect someone. The privilege of the true Death God. Yet I'm still not understanding why he would resurrect some guy for free in the Riverlands. I thought Beric and later LSH were doing somewhat the same job as the Others.

Assuming that R'hollor isn't the 'Great Other', then I'd hazard a guess that R'Hollor revived Beric so he could be around to revive Stoneheart. For what purpose I don't know. Maybe R'hollor knows that she'll be needed for something, maybe to push Jaime into becoming the Queenslayer?

8 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

If R'hllor exists, then the Great Other also exists. IMO he has different Names: the Lion of Night, the Black Goat of Qohor, the Stranger of Westeros.

In Qohor he is the Black Goat, in Yi Ti the Lion of Night, in Westeros the Stranger. All men must bow to him in the end.

It is said, during the first Long Night, the Lion of Night came forth in all his wroth to punish the wickedness of men. And that is what is happening now.

Do we know, for sure, that R'hllor exists? I think not. All we know is that the red priests magic is a real power - but that does not mean that this power comes from some kind of divine source. After all, we know that "the old gods" is just a name for the weirwood net.

17 minutes ago, sgtpimenta said:

Do we know, for sure, that R'hllor exists? I think not. All we know is that the red priests magic is a real power - but that does not mean that this power comes from some kind of divine source. After all, we know that "the old gods" is just a name for the weirwood net.

We are sure of nothing. Gods or magic, we don't know. But I bet in gods. We would not have the Long Night repeating 10,000 years later, a prophecy running for 5,000 years, without gods behind it. And who are the Old Gods? The joined souls of countless dead greenseers? Even so it would still be "god". Or yet unnamed gods, like the Lion of Night and Maiden-Made-of-Light?

7 hours ago, Widowmaker 811 said:

That's the legend.  How much of it is true remains to be seen.  It's not even fact that those two exists.  One thing to keep in mind.  The Others are a form of life (according to GM) but the wights are just the reanimated remains of people.  Reanimated flesh doesn't mean living flesh.  Dondarrion is alive.  There is a difference.  Jon Snow will be a wight if the Others bring him back. 

Actually, from the recent interview with GRRM, Dondarrion is indeed very dead.

ETA: We know from Dondarrion that fire wights can be killed just like any other human being. Every time he was killed again, Thoros brought Beric back. But he was being "killed" again.

56 minutes ago, bent branch said:

Actually, from the recent interview with GRRM, Dondarrion is indeed very dead.

ETA: We know from Dondarrion that fire wights can be killed just like any other human being. Every time he was killed again, Thoros brought Beric back. But he was being "killed" again.

Yup, that's my take on it as well. I will never understand when people say that Cat is still alive, for instance. Beric and Cat are dead, end of story, and LSH is not Cat. 

13 hours ago, BalerionTheCat said:

Well, not necessarily. If you think about it, ice/cold is just the lack of heat/energy.

Perharps R'hllor is the only god there and his priests just understood the message wrong

Archived